It’s getting close..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

chizfo

It’s getting close..

Unread postby chizfo » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:53 pm

We’re two months out from opening day in Missouri. I’m itching worse than ever, it can not come soon enough.

I work in the mornings, and scout in the evenings. Whether it be glassing from the gravels or boots on the ground.
I hunt a big Public Marsh. Been finding excellent bedding the last couple times out.

Let’s talk bedding.

I understand bucks have primary and secondary bedding.
And from what I understand the older the buck the smaller his home range is.

In all reality I wonder how many different bedding areas a certain buck might use? (Particularly during early season).

What are some ways you could tell the difference between primary and secondary bedding?

The itch is real and it’s quite frankly taking over all my time. I love chasing whitetail! I thank God for this passion and the opportunities that come my way.

-Charlie

Boogieman1
500 Club

Re: It’s getting close..

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:22 pm

Well Charlie, my opinion is if bucks only had a primary and secondary place to bed they would sure be a lot easier to kill. At least in my parts it’s a crap shoot. I believe there’s certain bedding areas mature bucks prefer but they don’t repeatedly do the same thing every day. Suppose this is where I very from the flock.

Always kinda find it irritating when folks say a hunter picking a “spot” ahead of time is simply relying on pure luck. No matter what tactic folks use it requires the same amount of luck. If it didn’t a hunter would only need one hunt to kill the big daddy in the area. It’s all about odds IMHO and some folks are better at calculating than others.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: It’s getting close..

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Tue Jul 20, 2021 3:32 pm

Boogieman1 wrote:Well Charlie, my opinion is if bucks only had a primary and secondary place to bed they would sure be a lot easier to kill. At least in my parts it’s a crap shoot. I believe there’s certain bedding areas mature bucks prefer but they don’t repeatedly do the same thing every day. Suppose this is where I very from the flock.

Always kinda find it irritating when folks say a hunter picking a “spot” ahead of time is simply relying on pure luck. No matter what tactic folks use it requires the same amount of luck. If it didn’t a hunter would only need one hunt to kill the big daddy in the area. It’s all about odds IMHO and some folks are better at calculating than others.

Took the words right out of my mouth/brain.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”