Public Land Etiquette

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

cbsdecker
Facebook: Connor Micheal Decker

Public Land Etiquette

Unread postby cbsdecker » Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:58 am

This fall will be my first time trying to hunt on a few public land properties and WMAs. For all folks who regularly hunt public land, what are some common things new public land hunters do that make you roll your eyes? And what are some common things one should do to make other hunters and users of public land have a better experience? 

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Re: Public Land Etiquette

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:15 am

Just don't set up within yards of another hunter. I had a dude set up 75 yards from me once and we just sat there and stared at each other. The more I learn you should make note of other people in the area because if your seeing people your in the wrong spot lol. Good luck!!!
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:11 am

New hunters never make me roll my eyes, it’s the guys that have to tell you how many years they have been hunting ‘their spot’ or who know better and still do things that are rude or malicious :roll:

Just always be courteous and apologetic when you run into other hunters(even if they come in on your setup, or you were parked there first or whatever)and 90% of your encounters will be positive. For the other 10% don’t waste your time worrying about them, you can’t make everyone happy.

Never ‘glass’ anyone thru a rifle scope. That one shouldn’t need to be said but you would be surprised...

Never gut an animal or discard a carcass where someone (especially non-hunting public land users) will stumble upon it.

Now, If you can help it, don’t hang long pink or orange ribbons every 20ft of your trail. Unless you just want everyone around to know that you are a new hunter :lol:
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:24 pm

PK_ wrote:New hunters never make me roll my eyes, it’s the guys that have to tell you how many years they have been hunting ‘their spot’ or who know better and still do things that are rude or malicious :roll:

Just always be courteous and apologetic when you run into other hunters(even if they come in on your setup, or you were parked there first or whatever)and 90% of your encounters will be positive. For the other 10% don’t waste your time worrying about them, you can’t make everyone happy.

Never ‘glass’ anyone thru a rifle scope. That one shouldn’t need to be said but you would be surprised...

Never gut an animal or discard a carcass where someone (especially non-hunting public land users) will stumble upon it.

Now, If you can help it, don’t hang long pink or orange ribbons every 20ft of your trail. Unless you just want everyone around to know that you are a new hunter :lol:

Great advice and insight.

I was surprised one day when turning a corner and bumped into a guy 10yds away. Didn't he know it's the LAST DAY OF SEASON. Should have the place to myself. Grrr.
After dark I waited for him....to apologize. Didn't need to really, and his partner might have been a little worried seeing me stalk his friend. The right attitude went a long way with them.
There is room for all of us out there.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:51 pm

Be kind. Don’t have the “MY DEER” mentality
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:12 am

Don’t walk in on top of someone that’s already setup and tell them “oh well, it’s public land”! If you know someone’s already where you want to be go somewhere else or beat them there the next day. Nothing more annoying than some guy purposely ruining your set because they want to be there.
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:05 am

PK_ wrote:New hunters never make me roll my eyes, it’s the guys that have to tell you how many years they have been hunting ‘their spot’ or who know better and still do things that are rude or malicious :roll:

Ran into this last year . Orange ribbons EVERY 20 yards ! Lol . I pull them down every year after season from guys leaving them up after they hunt . It’s trash .
purebowhunting
500 Club

Unread postby purebowhunting » Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:45 am

For a mobile hunter always have plan a, b, c ... I seldom run into hunters where I want to hunt but will where I want to traverse to where I want to hunt and won't walk past someone, having backup plans and the willingness to adjust makes the experience more enjoyable. Don't get intimidated, like mentioned vast majority of people you'll run into are good people.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 am

Ribbons marking trails, beer cans, doe in estrus bottles/buck bombs, spent shells, estrous dip sticks, used latex gloves and leaving stands and ladders in trees. It's all garbage and total amateur hour. I can deal with people walking up on me and squirrel hunters, but leaving that stuff behind makes me see red.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:31 am

The golden rule. Do on to others has you would want them to do to you. I’m always polite but give no info , I don’t expect anyone else to give me info
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:47 am

G-Patt wrote:Ribbons marking trails, beer cans, doe in estrus bottles/buck bombs, spent shells, estrous dip sticks, used latex gloves and leaving stands and ladders in trees. It's all garbage and total amateur hour. I can deal with people walking up on me and squirrel hunters, but leaving that stuff behind makes me see red.

Same here man. I always think “why do people suck so much?” And maybe a few unprintable words as well.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:17 am

For me the most helpful thing for me was learning to take the time to talk to any hunter/ hiker you run into. As mentioned previously, be courteous, and if your both planning to hunt the same area offer to go elsewhere, or I have already suggested we flip a coin to see who gets to hunt there. But by just making small talk you will be surprised what you will learn and you will learn what areas to avoid. I went out of my way this spring to talk to an old trapper that was checking his beaver traps, he used to hunt this area exclusively, I learned more in my 45 minute conversation with him than I possibly could have learned hunting this property in 10 years.
ThePreBanMan
500 Club

Unread postby ThePreBanMan » Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:22 am

Getting lost. I've helped a few find their way. Know how to navigate, especially in the dark.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:07 am

Let everyone have they’re space. It’s not like fishing where everybody hits the hot spot. Believe me there are guys that hunt with that mentality.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:52 am

roll my eyes, but I'm getting pretty used to it and don't get upset; everybody was new once:

sit field edges and get mad when guys are accessing through the field
claim a spot with a permanent stand/ cut massive shooting lanes
bait piles/mineral stations
steal cameras
have success>tell every one>get mad when they're honey hole is crowded the next year
"still hunt" excessively
walk around/scout at prime time

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”