Where to go, where to go..

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Where to go, where to go..

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:48 am

Well.. I didn't draw an Iowa tag this year. I had four points, but I guess point creep is picking up. Now I need to start planning a different midwest trip. Normally I go to Indiana and hunt and 80 acre tract of private, mixed with some public, but the private tract is getting heavily logged this summer. I could head out there anyways, but I'm kicking around the idea of doing something completely different. I would love to do a Nebraska whitetail/mulie trip, but its a really long drive from West Virginia lol.

I would love to hear any suggestions you guys have.

Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Coalcracker

Re: Where to go, where to go..

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:11 am

Just Do It!!

No time like the present to fulfill going somewhere you always wanted to go.
Shoot Straight
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:25 am

Come to Michigan. Home of the rompola buck. 9 million acres of public also
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:23 am

WI.

Hear southern Illinois has some big ones, but don’t know from experience.

Missouri interests me. Arkansas is closer for you.

Nebraska and the Dakotas are interesting too, but a long way from WV like you said.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:40 am

After not drawing KS I was really on the fence about cashing in my two IA points in a two point zone. Now seeing 5 wasn’t 100% with 4 points, I really regret not doing so.

After my trip to MO in 19 I told myself I wouldn’t be back to an OTC state anytime soon, Atleast not as my primary trip.. Pressure was crazy. Had a place I was headed to boat to at midday day 1 only to find out there was a guy that had accessed it illegally the evening before that was trying to find someone to boat him to recover his buck. Good guy but frustrating.

Time heals though so I’m likely headed back.

IL is on my radar because of cost barrier and proximity.

If I had private access and familiarity with public in IN I think I’d be headed there, but understand wanting a new adventure.
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:10 am

Hawthorne wrote:Come to Michigan. Home of the rompola buck. 9 million acres of public also

I turkey hunted Michigan this spring and actually saw quite a few bucks. I don’t know if I feel like dealing with the November pressure though
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:50 am

I’m interested as well.

I live in IL and didn’t draw a gun season tag here. So now I’m looking at either WI or IN. Leaning towards IN because it’s close enough I could do day trips. But I can only make it out for the second half of gun season. I hope the public isn’t burnt out after 7 days of gun hunting by then.

Would anyone recommend one over the other (WI or the second half of gun season in IN)?
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:46 pm

Coalcracker wrote:Just Do It!!

No time like the present to fulfill going somewhere you always wanted to go.

This.

As you get older it will be harder and harder to do these kind of trips. Do it while you can.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:38 pm

MitchB wrote:I’m interested as well.

I live in IL and didn’t draw a gun season tag here. So now I’m looking at either WI or IN. Leaning towards IN because it’s close enough I could do day trips. But I can only make it out for the second half of gun season. I hope the public isn’t burnt out after 7 days of gun hunting by then.

Would anyone recommend one over the other (WI or the second half of gun season in IN)?

You have to draw a gun season tag in IL as resident? That is rough
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:00 pm

mipubbucks24 wrote:

Yes. I put in for both shotgun and muzzleloader at 3 or 4 different areas (it’s been a while, can’t remember. It was at least 3). Got nothing. Same for 2 friends.

At least archery is OTC. I’m afraid I’m going to get skunked for turkey season next year too now.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:10 pm

MitchB wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:

Yes. I put in for both shotgun and muzzleloader at 3 or 4 different areas (it’s been a while, can’t remember. It was at least 3). Got nothing. Same for 2 friends.

At least archery is OTC. I’m afraid I’m going to get skunked for turkey season next year too now.

That sorry excuse for a state does strange things to their residents. During spring you pay up and apply for deer season. Then during fall you pay up for turkey season.
Whether you ACTUALLY GO, they don't care. Tag money was collected. So that's a successful season.
I'm a Misery boy from a young age and glad I am out of there. Offering up scouting reports for 75 miles north and south of STL/Alton.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
MitchB

Unread postby MitchB » Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:56 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:
MitchB wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:

That sorry excuse for a state does strange things to their residents. During spring you pay up and apply for deer season. Then during fall you pay up for turkey season.
Whether you ACTUALLY GO, they don't care. Tag money was collected. So that's a successful season.
I'm a Misery boy from a young age and glad I am out of there. Offering up scouting reports for 75 miles north and south of STL/Alton.

To be fair they’re refunding the cost of the tag. But it still stinks. There’s a lot that’s terrible about living here, though. The tags don’t even crack the top 10. I can’t wait until I’m done working to relocate. Hopefully my kids don’t settle here.
btsnhos

Unread postby btsnhos » Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:11 pm

I hunt Missouri every year in November, there are many, many areas that have little to no pressure. Last year i hunted 6 days on a few thousand acres and only saw one other bow hunter, there are alot of places close to the big cities that get hit pretty hard but if you can get away from the city its pretty nice. Gun season is another story...
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:04 am

MitchB wrote:
justdirtyfun wrote:
MitchB wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:

To be fair they’re refunding the cost of the tag. But it still stinks. There’s a lot that’s terrible about living here, though. The tags don’t even crack the top 10. I can’t wait until I’m done working to relocate. Hopefully my kids don’t settle here.

I feel your pain. Keeping the paycheck coming in means putting your head down and grinding away.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Kybowhunter

Unread postby Kybowhunter » Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:29 am

I've hunted Nebraska and really enjoyed it. Just wanted a spot and stalk type hunt and something different since I'm from Southeast Ky. If you do go to Nebraska I would focus on whitetail and if you see a mule deer while hunting then that's a big plus. I hunted the sandhills and had a great time but it's a tough hunt. With a alot of effort me and my buddy were able to find a couple good mule deer but they were few and far between.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”