What was your biggest mistake deer hunting?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Re: What was your biggest mistake deer hunting?

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:41 pm

UntouchableNess wrote:I had the biggest buck I've ever seen while in stand coming in fast from an open field, about to jump into a thicket behind me. I "merped" too loudly trying to stop him under me, he immediately dropped, spun, ran out to 35 yards where he stopped broadside. My arrow hit the dirt under him. If I hadn't tried to stop him, it would have been a moving shot at a steep angle since I set up too close to the crossing.

So was it the stand selection too close over a trail, the merp or the whiff the mistake? Three strikes, you're out. Haunts me to this day. Sure he would have went 200" as a typical 12. :cry:

Damn that sucks!!!!

It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:23 pm

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:
UntouchableNess wrote:I had the biggest buck I've ever seen while in stand coming in fast from an open field, about to jump into a thicket behind me. I "merped" too loudly trying to stop him under me, he immediately dropped, spun, ran out to 35 yards where he stopped broadside. My arrow hit the dirt under him. If I hadn't tried to stop him, it would have been a moving shot at a steep angle since I set up too close to the crossing.

So was it the stand selection too close over a trail, the merp or the whiff the mistake? Three strikes, you're out. Haunts me to this day. Sure he would have went 200" as a typical 12. :cry:

Damn that sucks!!!!

And now, the rest of the story (anybody remember Paul Harvey?). I was shooting a 1983 PSE Vulcan compound without a peep. Don't remember if I was using a Crackshot release or a finger tab. Crappy equipment could be my crutch as well...... ;)
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:38 pm

Most painful experience happened when I was caught flatfooted moving to my stand in early morning. I got off work late that morning and was trying to make up some time, so I cut across this old abandoned park to cut distance to my hunting area.

I made it halfway through the clearing, then either noticed something out of the corner of my eye, or the sixth sense told me to look to the right. There, watching me in the tall grass, near the rusted out swing set was the giant nine point I was after. As soon as I made eye contact he bounded up over the hill towards the road. I sat there for couple minutes thinking about what my next move should be, then heard the shot just accross the road where he ran..

Probably the two biggest tactical mistakes for hunting bigger deer, that I’ve learned is that I used to hunt general areas, because in my mind I considered them to be good. Now, I spend however long it takes to find a deer I want to hunt wherever he shows up. Then, take it from there.

The other was getting tunnel vision on great sign, without considering the bigger picture. I used to find good sign and automatically think this is a great spot to sit, now I consider it, then look past it to see where the deer are coming from or heading to. To me, most of the good areas to access and sit, turn out to be a couple hundred yards from an area like that.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:55 am

My biggest mistake looking back 20+ yrs ago is sitting in 1 prehung stand on a trail all year lol. Now I did see deer and actually killed my first bow buck that way. Now my biggest mistake are 2 things really. 1- not having enough spots by the end of season. 2- not giving public a chance!
ChasingFLATS86

Unread postby ChasingFLATS86 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:54 pm

Fixing what ain't broke. Buying into gear ads and thinking they would help me become a better hunter. Always wanting to upgrade gear, even when unnecessary. Spending money instead of time on becoming a better woodsman/hunter.
God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth. That means we should listen twice as much as we talk.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:07 am

Believing just because you are "in the woods" you will kill a deer.
I guess maybe eventually...
It's like throwing a teenage boy on a naked woman - eventually he'll get her pregnant... ;)
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:28 am

Edcyclopedia wrote:Believing just because you are "in the woods" you will kill a deer.
I guess maybe eventually...
It's like throwing a teenage boy on a naked woman - eventually he'll get her pregnant... ;)

Interesting analogy lol
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
SILhunter

Unread postby SILhunter » Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:55 am

Not finding the Hunting Beast 15 years ago
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:25 am

Hunting terrain instead of deer. I would read this and that and watch videos about terrain but not really putting together the context of it. Now I won't plan a hunt until actually see deer using that area and how they are using terrain. It's not as obvious as you might think. You think you know, until you actually know. Big difference.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:05 am

First year I went to Kansas (2016). I was the new guy in what was now a 4-man group. One vehicle. I got dropped off first, about 2 hours before daylight on a 20-25 degree day with standard 15-20mph Kansas "breeze". At 10 a.m. I hadn't seen a single deer, and I was frost bite numb (didn't have the best clothes or layer system yet). I decided to climb down and take a short walk to warm up. I walked about 50 yards and was looking for a spot to cross a small creek. I looked back towards my stand and 20 yards away on the opposite side of the tree, there stood a legitimate 160"+ 10pt. I was 70 yards away. Had I stayed in my stand literally 5 more minutes I would have shot my biggest buck by far.. I watched him for a good minute before he decided he'd seen enough and beat feet. Still hands down the biggest whitetail I've seen in person.

Never again.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:08 am

Listening to "people" stuck in one way of doing things tell me how I should do things. For far too long... :lol:
Now I will make all kinds of other mistakes, I'm sure, but they will be my mistakes, not somebody elses.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:26 am

This early in my hunting career, its probably the one I don't know I made, am making or that one time I didn't hunt "Cause".
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:13 pm

1. Picking right time to drawl bow.
2. Shooting to high.
3. Hunting to long in a spot thinking if sit here long enough he will come.
4. There is a right time to hunt a spot and a wrong time to hunt a spot. Knowing when to be there helps a lot.

Been many years still do flobs. But, not near as often. When you get older you have a tendency to be more patient on things you have a passion for and enjoying doing.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:36 pm

Not hunting where a big buck lives.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Ahawk116

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:55 pm

Climbing a pre hung set that had been there for too long. Got to the top of the ladder and the dry rotted straps gave way and down I came.

Replace them regularly fellas.

I’ve got plenty of others where I messed up on a good one but it was 2 close of a call not to mention.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”