Hunting from ground using ghillie suit

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Hunting from ground using ghillie suit

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:40 pm

greenhorndave wrote:Leafy suits can work well too. I like the one I got from First Lite. I also have Realtree Bottomland (including facemask) for turkey hunting where you can literally disappear into the tree trunk. Got within feet of all kinds of animals on the ground including does this spring. Lack of movement and back cover are the two non-negotiables in my opinion.

Also go to this in the All Time Tactical thread near the top of the Deer Hunting forum. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=29460-

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:40 am

these guys make some nice gear as well
https://www.northmountaingear.com/
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:59 am

Brokenarrow1980 wrote:Gonna give it a go with a leafy suit this year exclusively from the ground. The advice I've been getting is to cover your face and hands and try to not make eye contact. I hope to shoot a nice buck and a few doe this year.

I almost exclusively hunt from the ground (maybe 2 or 3 times a year I'm in tree), and it's a complete thrill! While there's some skill-set differences on the ground (see prior beast threads for more advice), you'll pick it up quickly. Good luck! Hope to see you post your adventures regardless of the size bucks and does you kill.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
btsnhos

Unread postby btsnhos » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:08 am

I love using a ghillie. It is alot easier to get busted so make sure you always use/have back cover, I mainly use it because I can be super mobile and adapt to change, not blow an entire sit because "i wish i was 50yds closer to x/y/z". The Untamed on youtube has a few good kills in their ghillies along with a diy video, I used an old camo sweater from walmart and some fabric and paracord, good to go.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:30 am

Making them is a lot of fun and I believe more effective cuz you can tailor them to meet the environment you will be hunting. Here's a couple videos of a Ghillie suit, Ghillie bow blind and some Ghillie capes I made.

https://youtu.be/Wx29aIzU9mw
https://youtu.be/sCp-2VSuF7c
https://youtu.be/tHb9OvCRuaU
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:08 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Making them is a lot of fun and I believe more effective cuz you can tailor them to meet the environment you will be hunting. Here's a couple videos of a Ghillie suit, Ghillie bow blind and some Ghillie capes I made.

https://youtu.be/Wx29aIzU9mw
https://youtu.be/sCp-2VSuF7c
https://youtu.be/tHb9OvCRuaU

I tried to make my own Ghillie suit but it came out to bulky. I feel the leafy suit is the way to go. It fooled a big tom it should fool a deer. Scent is key because your scent stream won't go over deer. One great thing is you can shift when the thermals change really easy so you can keep the wind to your advantage all day.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 am

Bigburner wrote:Do it. I’ve killed turkeys with my bow many times once at 4 yards. And I always have my jacket with me especially scout hunting Bc I don’t know if I’m gonna be on the ground or elevated. I rarely don’t have at least a leafy jacket with me. Great piece of gear.that and some hand pruners will have you a good set up in no time.

Good advice
I do the exact same thing.

I also killed my largest gobbler from 7 yds with no blind or decoys. Adrenaline rush for sure
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:48 am

I hunted mostly from the ground for last 5 years but now find myself in a saddle about as much as on the ground. I never used a ghillie but am sure they work well. I just used regular camo clothes and made sure to have enough cover and stay still. I tried a leafy suit but got busted using it after the leaves had fallen. A doe saw me from 50 yds quick as my leafy suit was blowing in the wind. So in that case it did not work.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:55 am

I hunted alot from the ground last year due to a wrist injury. I came within feet of a few bucks and countless does. It's a huge rush!! I only had my regular camo so I can't comment on a ghillie. I learned to try to stay in the shadows as much as possible with good back cover. If I can kill turkeys I would surely think I could use the same camo aslong as I have good wind.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:43 pm

Works well in briars and scrub brush where you can't go with a saddle and stands. I have a few spots I cleared for a quarter away shots so they don't look down my lane and spot somethings not right. I live in an area that if its not ag its a jungle mess. Very few mature woods in the area. This is my first year really hunting hard since I got sick seven years ago so I will be learning and knocking off rust. My biggest fear is getting animals out but I will cross that bridge when I get there lol. I have a walker with a full shoulder harness connected to a jet sled. Gonna see if I can pull my wife n kids up the hill in my yard to put my mind at ease. I am DETERMINED to hunt like a beast this year and as long as whats left of my body holds up.
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:12 pm

Desert Camo ghillies are killer in cattails in the fall.
CattailCommander

Unread postby CattailCommander » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:23 pm

szwampdonkey wrote:Desert Camo ghillies are killer in cattails in the fall.

I've used them duck hunting before in cattails and dry fields. A lot easier to hide in the cattails or grass than building a blind, a lot easier than dragging out a layout blind into a muddy cornfield. If they'll deceive the eyes of 20+ ducks or geese circling by you, it'll fool a deer in the vision department.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:18 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Desert Camo ghillies are killer in cattails in the fall.

Standing corn too.

I always say to myself that I want ti hunt in the cattails that time of year, but the spots I’m picking usually aren’t conducive to that. I should try it this year.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:53 am

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Mopar1169 wrote:Predator calls kill suite is a great guille. Super light and works good. Have had deer within feet of me on the ground. Pretty fun.

Looks like they have a few different varieties. Which one do you have?

https://allpredatorcalls.com/kill-suit-2/

This is their picture of the one I ordered:

I wanted to break up the coloring some more so I doctored mine up with some sneaky leaf.

I opted for the woodland camo as I start hunting in mid September. When I got mine it had a terrible smell to it and it took a while to get rid of it. Several soakings in baking soda, washings in scent killer, and just leaving it hung outside finally took care of it.

It’s really light and breathable so it is great for early season hunting. I flip mine inside out for easy storage and packing.

Bob

I bought the same exact suit from Predator Calls this winter. I tested it out in turkey season and was very pleased. It is very comfortable and quick to take on/off over whatever you wear in. You can slip the pants on right over your boots. I just packed it in to my location and slipped it on when I got to my hunting location. I did have to trim my bow arm to keep the fabric out of my bow string when shooting...something to keep in mind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”