Offseason Scouting Frequency Question

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waddams

Offseason Scouting Frequency Question

Unread postby Waddams » Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:48 am

How often do you guys actually get out for off season scouting? Reason I ask - I'm an engineering project manager, design team leader, and client lead. I've got a several design teams I'm managing, all kinds of work demands that never let up. Most of the time, when a weekend hits and I don't have extra work to catch up on, I'm mentally exhausted and all I really want to do is get some weight lifting time in, have a cocktail, and get a little leisure time in with my wife and son. I live n the Atlanta suburbs, the good public hunting grounds are all 90 minutes plus drive away at a minimum, with the better ones being farther. The distance makes day trips from home for any scouting or hunting during the season kind of hard logistically.

Basically, all you guys that seem to more conveniently be able to feed this addiction more often, what do you do that allows you the time to do this? And do you live nearer to your preferred stalking grounds?

I will say I'm grateful for this site and Dan's Youtube videos - I'm definitely on the more unskilled side (am not a life long hunter, it's more recent thing for me) but I am able to go out, find sign, and at least see deer in the woods when I have the chance to go. No big buck kills yet, but I have been able to get a little venison in the freezer here and there. It's usually minimal pre-scouting, I look at some aerials and topo, pick a spot, and go check it out. Just don't have the time to do the more detailed recon and still get my job done and get in some quality family time too.

Thank again, I might not post hardly ever, but I'm constantly reading the forum and watching the vid's and they're helping me alot! So thank you all for that!

Lockdown

Re: Offseason Scouting Frequency Question

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:32 am

In your situation, you might have to do your best with in season scouting. Don’t hunt until you know you’re on them. I know PK hunts Florida and doesn’t scout a whole lot out of season and he is very successful. However, he’s a veteran hunter as well, so that makes a difference.

For me, spring scouting is very beneficial, because it tells me where to concentrate my efforts. I also have to prep stand locations ahead of time because same day hunts for me are very tough if I use a stand. It’s just too thick around here. That said, a couple years ago I had hardly any scouting in and no spots prepped. “I guess it will be an off year. It is what it is.”

Then I did some pre-season observations and wound up killing opening day :lol:

So if the vegetation allows for same day sets without too much trouble, you can still be in the game 100%. Don’t let the lack of spring scouting bother you just concentrate on in season and develop your own style. There’s a big learning curve when it comes to in season scouting. Call it a 5 year plan. Don’t expect success right away... just stick with it and you’ll get there.

How much vacation do you have? It might even be more beneficial to take time off specifically for spring scouting. Even if it’s only a couple days a year. Maybe *cough* use a sick day or two ;)
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:21 am

I get between 15 to 20 pre-season scouts in per year. My job is not as demanding as yours and I live about 20 minutes from a decent track of high-pressured public. Can't say I'm killing P&Ys and better, but it's a lot of fun and convenient. It fits my work-life-hunt/fish balance. :lol:

I think the way you describe your scouting and hunting is working for you pretty well, and like Lockdown said, consider it a 5-year plan.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:02 pm

Welcome

Its no easy task to juggle life and hobbies!

Based on your comments, ill suggest straight aggressive run n gun hunting like LD. If you cant get out in the winter/spring to dissect your spots then I say go pre/in season and jump them. Just scout w your bow, jump one, adjust based on the wind, wait a and see if he comes back. If not, come back another day and hunt him again.

Very effective and you will accelerate the learning curve. But you have to cover many miles to understand the woods though.

You can also concentrate on locating good Doe bedding for rut hunting. Another good place to start is locating spots w generational rubs. You dont really need a bed to know that well likely be a good spot. There is plenty of time to get onto a buck before the season as well.

Iv learned that you only get what you put into it. Hard work pays off.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:12 pm

I have a similar work life to you. I lucked out in two ways.

1.) My wife is a Saint. We've been married 20 years and there were a lot of years I fished over 125x between April and September, and she'd still encourage me to go when I had that restless look in my eyes.

2.) We had our kids when we were teenagers. Yeah, I wouldn't recommend anyone follow our lead, but we toughed it out, worked hard, raised amazing kids and now that they're out on their own and in college, we're empty nesters who have more free time than we know what to do with. So now I can fish 100+ days a year, hunt close to 50, do all the scouting I can handle, and spend more time with my wife than ever. Like I said, I wouldn't advise anyone to have their kids as young as we did, but it had its benefits.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:58 pm

When less time is available I would try and schedule scouting days, I would pack a lunch and kind of plan to cover 2-3 areas that day and get as much scouting in as I could. Then combine that intel with your in-season scouting and you are at least on your way. The biggest time waster is hunting without knowing there is a good one around, of course that can be called an observation sit too so just try and make the most out of every hunt. Lots of times I will walk for hours and end up sitting in the back yard stand or other observation stands because I never find much.

When I look at my encounters the fresh sign was almost always there, find it and you will increase your odds.
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:04 am

I also live in the Atlanta burbs and have a wife and kids that want most of my time, which is my priority. I do find some pockets to get out and scout areas that don't require an entire day away. There are certainly hunting opportunities closer than 90 minutes away, but you do have to find the spots where the deer are. My scouting has changed over the last couple of years where in the off-season I am simply trying to find if there are enough deer in the area to justify hunting a said spot/WMA. I have done a good bit of aerial scouting and found some spots that look great, only to put boots on the ground and find that there seems to be a very low deer population in that area.

If you get some time to do off-season scouting, make sure to look at some maps first, pick out some spots that you think look good, and then check them out. You may find out they are worth looking into during deer season, or be able to cross them off your list and save a wasted hunting day.
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:31 am

Last year I was able to get out a couple times a week, this year, haven’t been able to get out nearly as much.

The one thing I recommend in your situation, is to start running cameras if you haven’t already. They will be scouting for you while you’re at work
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:18 am

Admittedly your schedule sounds much different than mine. Your paycheck probably looks different also haha. Just wrapping up another school year and I’m about to ditch the mask for endless scouting.

I have a very Understanding wife and because it gets light so early and stays light late in the northeast right now I can usually get out in the morning for a scout (1 hour away) and be back for breakfast with the kids. I also ride roads looking for deer after the kids go to bed. I’m still at the point where I burn for information and puzzle pieces. I’m not great at scouting yet, but as far as frequency, almost daily now.

In your situation I would try the following:

1) Determine if the “bad” public spots are really bad after all (cams can help)

2) Ride roads early and late and look for movement. A “scout “ before work makes the day go faster. Look for trucks or tire tracks in the public spots on your way home.

3) Use that hard earned money on a cell cam?

Just a few thoughts.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:49 pm

When being away from the woods has you feeling antsy, you probably want something productive to do.
Workout routine, equipment prep, shooting time, and e scouting. My transition to Beast hunting took weekly activity for a year or more.
Having an A game ready the second you hit the woods is just as important as getting into the woods for scouting.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:21 pm

I think I may do an update to my journal as I think some might be surprised how often/year round I actually scout. Now I live in a part of TX with very low deer densities, very limited public land so that requires getting out there. We also have a huge coyote, bobcat and HOG population which also keeps mature buck numbers down.

So finding a 3+ year old buck on our small public tracts is difficult and requires a lot of work. Most will tell you to stay out of the woods, but if you don't stay up with the few you find you might be chasing a ghost. I would say of my targets, 70-80% get taken out each year. About 10-15% wind up going nocturnal or they are pushed to private lands due to dove season, early teal season and last minute preppers before you can even carry a bow in the woods.

So that leaves about 5-10% of bucks you locate that aren't disturbed before opening day. As you can tell, its a #s game.

So I spend a lot of time.... At LEAST one day just about every weekend scouting Jan through September. For me deer season never stops. Now, im not pounding the same ground over and over. I am always scouting new WMAs in TX , OK and other states. And I'm revisiting old grounds that might have waxed cold for a while due to pressure, fire, predation, drought, etc.

Luckily I am single, have a flexible job and I just love exploring. I have very few other hobbies outside grandkids so I'm out there.... All the time.

When I lived in MT I didnt have to spend near the time finding mature bucks and the pressure on public was far less. I'd put some of our public in TX up against any state, to include MI, PA and WI as far as pressure (hunter #s per acre or hunter #s per local deer population).... You don't ever see a non resident coming to hunt TX mature bucks on public land.... And there's a reason for that.

All this to say the answer to your question is how much time can you put in, how bad do you want it, what are you willing to sacrifice, and whats your goal? There is no right answer to these, but how you answer will determine how you might approach things. I think most have given a good response that if life has you too busy, then scout hunting might be a successful ploy. Also, keep goals reasonable for the time and locations you have available. Even the best hunter will struggle going in "cold" in heavy pressured areas or areas with low densities. In some cases, just getting a decent buck down under those circumstances is worthy of celebrating and backslapping. Everything is relevant to what will do it for you.

BTW, JFTR, I have consistently taken 2-3 mature bucks on public down here for most years since I moved back 19 years ago. Not because I'm anything of a hunter; but because I believe I can and I put in max effort. But, I actually enjoy the work and effort..... At least most days. And like I mentioned above I have the life and job thst affords me that opportunity.honestly I think most guys, if they had the amount of time in the woods that I do, would do far better than I do/have.

This year, I have missed one week where I did not get out for at least one day in the field. Im off every other Friday so I typically get 1-2 days of scouting, prepping, or setting out/checking cameras.
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:48 am

Wow! Lots of responses. Thank you all! I'll try to respond without being too long winded.

In your situation, you might have to do your best with in season scouting. Don’t hunt until you know you’re on them.

This is what I was leaning towards this season. I've made attempts to do off season scouting in the past. What I've found is if I've found what I think are potential locations in prior off season few and far between scouting trips, when I get there in season, there's 2-3 other trucks there. Or if I'm first, there's 2-3 other trucks there when I come out.

In season scouting with my Summit Viper on my back and just shimmy up a tree when I best judge is good is how I had just about all of my deer sightings.

The public land here, most it is about impossible to get "way back" away from everyone else - there just aren't very many tracts that are easily reached from my home that every square inch isn't less than 1/2 mile from a road or access of some sort from through a private property. You've really got to figure out where pressure is pushing deer as much as anything else, and that pushing is so fluid during the season, you just don't know until you get to where you're going and start burning boot leather.

So to sum up, as I said above, I think my best best is like you said - just scout in season and try to get on them. When rifle season hits, I might try more ground hunting at least until I find a spot that looks good to come back to with the climber. Am not old, but at 46, I feel the wear and tear more these days from the heavier load. Archery season doesn't have near the pressure rifle does, seems like not as much humping in archery season.

How much vacation do you have? It might even be more beneficial to take time off specifically for spring scouting. Even if it’s only a couple days a year. Maybe *cough* use a sick day or two ;)

Through a quirk in how our projects are scheduling out, it's looking like fall might actually be a bit lighter in work load. I get roughly 3 weeks per year of PTO and flexibility to comp extra hours (can carry over some unused too). I'm actually thinking to use a bunch of PTO I've not been able to otherwise use this year to take days off during the week in season. Particularly a few 3 and 4 day weekends. Go camp out, spend more time getting on them the first day or two, and then focus on trying to kill the latter part.

Based on your comments, ill suggest straight aggressive run n gun hunting like LD. If you cant get out in the winter/spring to dissect your spots then I say go pre/in season and jump them. Just scout w your bow, jump one, adjust based on the wind, wait a and see if he comes back. If not, come back another day and hunt him again.

I hadn't thought to specifically try to go in and bump 'em out and then see who comes back. I might give that a shot!

I also live in the Atlanta burbs and have a wife and kids that want most of my time, which is my priority. I do find some pockets to get out and scout areas that don't require an entire day away.

Whereabouts are you? I'm in Gwinnett, just outside Lawrenceville. My main stomping grounds have been Oconee NF around Monticello and Hillsboro, Clybel WMA, and out past Athens near Elberton. There's a few WMA tracts and Corp land around the lakes that's open for hunting. We yurt camp at a park on the lake and I've got familiarity with a few spots out that way now. They're all 90 minutes drive for me or more either due to distance or traffic congestion. Have thought about Wilson Shoals WMA and go there to go shooting at their range (we tend to shoot, hit Jaemoor Farms, and then cruise over to Helen for german food and beer), but everything I've read basically says Wilson Shoals isn't very good for deer hunting so I've avoided it.

The one thing I recommend in your situation, is to start running cameras if you haven’t already. They will be scouting for you while you’re at work

I've got 2 cameras, no cell cameras though. Have moved them around some, have one location that always had multiple really big bucks on camera - always at night. I didn't know what I needed to then, but I now have a guess as to where those guys liked to bed now. Didn't go back there last season though. Have been thinking to go back this season and see what's what, but it's a Corp Land tract that's surrounded by hunting clubs. The club guys are all out of stater's and I learned one season just about all of them didn't work in the fall and spent the season at the camps hunting. The pressure never let up, and those guys were not "leave no trace" types. I didn't go back last season as I figured those guys kept the deer to only nocturnal movements. There's plenty of thick vegetation, plenty for them to keep their heads down in the day, never move until night.

Haven't used the cameras in a while though. Was finding mostly I'd leave it out, it would get nothing, move it, it would get nothing, etc. Stopped using them because I figured I didn't know enough of where to set them up back then. Or for some reason the set up wouldn't shoot anything and it'd be 3 months down the tube. I've thought I might put them out again though.

I have a very Understanding wife and because it gets light so early and stays light late in the northeast right now I can usually get out in the morning for a scout (1 hour away) and be back for breakfast with the kids. I also ride roads looking for deer after the kids go to bed. I’m still at the point where I burn for information and puzzle pieces.

Have thought about making time to drive out to the areas I know and ride the back roads at night. Done that during a few weekenders at night while camping out last season. It's really an energy thing for me. Weekend, long work week, low energy, and wife is not interested at all. I don't have a local hunting buddy either - it's a sort of new pursuit for me still. My friend group isn't interested, never had family growing up that were hunters. My dad was Vietnam vet, always said he spent enough time in the woods with a gun being uncomfortable, he wasn't interested at all in hunting when I was growing up.

If I ever found someone interested in partnering up for it, I'd find the motivation to go though. And I totally admit part of off season scouting and lack of for me is motivation. Not denying it.

Workout routine, equipment prep, shooting time, and e scouting. My transition to Beast hunting took weekly activity for a year or more.

That's actually not an issue. I have a squat rack in my garage. LIft 3-4 times per week. I do keep my gear in good order, get target practice in, etc. I also do the e scouting of the areas I know. Replay sightings and encounters in my head, watching the THB youtube vids has helped reconstruct the what and why the deer where there and doing what they were doing has been helpful.

All this to say the answer to your question is how much time can you put in, how bad do you want it, what are you willing to sacrifice, and whats your goal? There is no right answer to these, but how you answer will determine how you might approach things

Main goal is put a little venison in the freezer first. Can't eat antlers. But I also want to keep honing skills and eventually seal the deal on a mature buck. In terms of how bad I want it, I want it, but bad enough to have it cause time issues in the off season for time with my wife and son, and not bad enough to risk projects not getting done right or on time at work.

I do appreciate the responses - the thought to try to bump 'em and then get a shot once they're out somehow - I might try that. And as long as project schedules play out as projected, a few extra days off to get some 3 and 4 day weekends so I can spend more time hunting is probably going to be the ticket for me this season.

Thanks again for your time!
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:10 am

Your situation is very much like mine. We have similar careers and seems that we have to put our passion for hunting after everything else. My wife and I just had a baby girl in April. I'll be head coaching my son's hockey team this fall/winter/spring. But besides all that I'm constantly thinking about bucks, looking at maps, shooting, scouting walks when i get time, especially in the spring.

I have experience hunting suburban bucks around Pittsburgh, I'm sure you've got some monsters roaming around Atlanta. Try searching Onxmaps for public use properties, you could stumble into a gold mine. Even small little lots are great for whitetail archery hunters. But if your are traveling 90+ minutes, like Lockdown mentioned, try making all this a 5 year plan. I'm doing that now with Ohio and I've only connected once in four years but my success is now really starting to take off from all the work I've put in. I thought it'd be easier hunting but nothing came easy. Just enjoy the improvements you make each year and take pride in it. Don't worry about other scouting frequency or how much time guys get that shoot 180's and have the sheds of the deer the last 4 years :lol: Just worry about improving/managing your own time. A couple tips I can think of.
- mark bedding areas obviously, mark all clear-cut or forested areas of public land, this can help id bedding
- look at leafless satellite views, wintertime imagery for shades of green or dense cover, that's another give away for bedding. I am looking at google now and north of you it seems like we share the same Appalachian mountain range... if you hunt those mountains the first two tips are ideal. match those areas up on a small knob or point or leeward crest or hillside. Mark areas like that on your map and go check them out in the spring time. One or two good scouting trips like that could pay dividends for years to come. post season scout or spring scout those areas and while you are there, pick trees to shoot from (something i would often forget to do).

Just a few pointers. Good luck bud.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:27 am

Deerkins wrote:Last year I was able to get out a couple times a week, this year, haven’t been able to get out nearly as much.

x2
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:15 am

Your situation is very much like mine. We have similar careers and seems that we have to put our passion for hunting after everything else. My wife and I just had a baby girl in April. I'll be head coaching my son's hockey team this fall/winter/spring. But besides all that I'm constantly thinking about bucks, looking at maps, shooting, scouting walks when i get time, especially in the spring.

All I can say is "yup." Right there with you.

I am using OnX now. Before was using Google Maps - can GPS points for later in it as well. Have transferred that information OnX. And my typical desk lunch break is usually spent looking at Google Earth historical imagery. Georgia actually also has a good online interactive map that shows aerials, topo, etc. of the public areas. Before OnX I was copying aerials into my drawing software, then overlaying screen snips and scaling them all together to fit right so they'd overlay and you could see the aerial, vegetation edges, openings, and contours together. Not necessary with OnX but sometimes Google Earth does show a more recent aerial of an area than OnX. Or a historical aerial is informative beyond what OnX shows.

I haven't ventured into the North GA mountains for hunting though. Deer population up there is very sparse. Big problem with predation of fawns by bears and coyotes, and there's not been any logging or anythign for so long, the forest canopy is thick enough that not enough sun reaches the forest floor. So very little ground level cover and browse. For years, hunters have been begging GA DNR to start allowing logging again to start creating regrowth and habitat diversity. GA DNR also is encouraging hunters to go put a hurting on bears and coyotes up there. Not much impact though. I don't think anyone relishes hauling a bear out in the mountains and you can pop coyotes all day, everyday, and it makes little difference.

There are, however, some potential areas in suburbia around me I've discovered through a few water main projects in the last year that will pass through them. It's various tracts that are state DOT or municipal owned, nothing being done on them, nothing planned. No access restrictions. Just would need to find a place to park and try to not be seen dragging a deer out because there would be some local passerby that would cry foul if they saw it. I might give it go on those. They're 20 minutes from the house. Make a few humps through, see what I bump, see what sign there is. There are a ton of deer.

I have a church acquaintance that bagged a huge backyard buck in his neighbor's yard last year. Thing came through in broad daylight, not a care in the world.

Just enjoy the improvements you make each year and take pride in it. Don't worry about other scouting frequency or how much time guys get that shoot 180's and have the sheds of the deer the last 4 years :lol: Just worry about improving/managing your own time.

Same acquaintance has his own 400 acre property. He does food plots, shoots deer over corn piles as it's legal here, etc. Gets a nice on every year. He's good about not over hunting and over pressuring. So he does that kind of thing right, puts in the work, and reaps the rewards. He tried public land a few years ago and couldn't find the first bit of sign. No deer sightings. He exclaims "there aren't any deer out there on public land!" Even though he kills more, it's more like he raises them and harvests them, he doesn't really hunt them. I feel like I've already gotten to be better about going out and finding them then him and others I know like him. Like I said, not knocking what they do per se, it's a lot of work, but it's basically a complex year round baiting operation. It isn't the same as walking into the woods, finding deer, and killing deer. I'm finding I'm already better at the part of finding deer in the open woods than some of these other guys I know. I can at least go find sign, see some in the woods, bump a few here and there, and I'm amazed that guys that have been hunting all their lives but don't know that stuff!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”