Is it what you expected?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mountain man 89

Is it what you expected?

Unread postby Mountain man 89 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:42 am

For those of you guys that went a long time before you killed true mature giant what was your feelings afterward? The same question to those of you that hunted the same buck for so many years before finally getting it. It is what you expected? Did you feel fulfilled or was you just ready to get to the next one?

Some of the things I have done in the hills would probably mean a lot to others. It means a lot to me but once I do it, I am looking forward to the next one. I still cherish the memory though and am thankful I was lucky/blessed enough to do that.

backstraps

Re: Is it what you expected?

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:44 am

I remember the first Mature deer I killed and I have a few that I chased for years....

I think the first really mature buck I killed (8.5) I was left in somewhat disbelief when I walked up to him. Seeing the size of him compared to what I was used to killing.
Shooting bucks that I have chased for years, always gets me really emotional the second I recover or see them fall. I think the history, the chase and being defeated by them so many times, especially those times I thought I was on a slam dunk hunt only ending up without him again....

Both instances of killing a mature buck and one I have chased so long, leave me riding a high. I have always immediately turned my attention to the next one. However the feeling of accomplishment and pride stirs inside a while :D
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:51 am

The first good one I killed only threw gasoline on a fire for hunting big bucks. It totally consumed my thoughts, plans and vacation time for many years.

Your other question about killing a buck after hunting him for years, that felt like a huge empty hole in me for a year or so. I had hunted a buck for 3 years, finally killed him, and it was amazing how I missed looking for his trail cam pictures and missed seeing his rubs. I moved on but it felt like I lost something after I got him.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
RatMe

Unread postby RatMe » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:29 pm

I agree with the “fuel to the fire statement”. I had already pushed the chips to the middle and made this type of hunting approach my lifestyle, but the validation of walking up on such an elusive animal, one that only existed in other peoples walls or trail cam photos was surreal.

Although I’m confident, it still blows my mind that it can all come together. I nearly always say, “it worked” in disbelief, while on adrenaline after the kill.

Then it just burns until the next one, and then I can attest to the fact that the burn is x2 when you have an unsuccessful year.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:53 pm

Both. I’m ecstatic when it all comes together and almost instantly my mind goes into next one mode lol……
Last years buck was a buck I had 3 years of history with and I still went into next one mode almost instantly .
mauser06
500 Club

Unread postby mauser06 » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:44 am

First what I'd call "big buck" was this past season.

I didn't get a great look before the shot...I knew he had a rack and he was about to disappear.

When I walked up on him I was an emotional wreck. I'm not going to sugar coat it. I teared up...not sadness. Just complete system overload. I've worked so hard...so much time..3 trips out of state that season.

All he done was completely change my mindset. I'm probably going to start eating tags or killing good bucks. Everything before was 80-105" or so. Consistent and to the point I can usually have a shot at one within a few hunts. Still not a bad public buck.

But now I want a wall full of gooduns.

I am sure it's somewhat like drugs. The "first high" is the best and you continue to chase it.

I already have the last days of October and first 2 weeks of November scheduled off and revenge week...opening week of gun season. I scouted harder and was more motivated to focus on big buck sign. I have several locations in PA I feel very good about.

Unexplainable feelings. I also want to continue to focus completely on public. I feel a different satisfaction from public or knock on the door for free private than I would killing deer on leased or pretty exclusive private. I know I can lease ground and kill bigger bucks easier and more consistently. I just have a greater respect for deer anyone could have killed.

I bear hunted a day on my buddies super private leased land. The bucks I saw were ridiculous and I wasn't looking looking deer. We have some very good private around. I don't look down on anyone's deer or how they hunt. Those are personal feelings for ME. I just know for ME looking at a 130 from private makes me happier than say a 150 from a lease I pay for.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:32 am

I waited about 40 years to go hunt and get a mule deer buck.

Had everything figured out from topos and aerial reviews and it didn't work that way. Other folks in way on public, being the 2nd person to given spot, etc. Got permission on an 80 acre field adjacent to a slightly larger piece of public. The deer crossed thru and around, depending on the wind and amazingly enough, where we parked the truck. Got that big muley and am real happy with him.

It didn't light a fire to go for more or bigger, instead satisfying a long-time desire. Next is a buck antelope - last time I didn't get a buck tag and they sold out. Oops! Will know tomorrow if I get to hunt antelope again this fall.

This isn't the same as hunting local whitetails. It is more important to me. A big whitetail isn't even on my list. Enjoy hunting them but pretty much take what can get when I go these days.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:56 pm

I started hunting in the mid 80s at the age of 9 and didnt kill a really good buck until 2006... that's over 20 years of encounters, mistakes, "woulda coulda shoulda", smaller kills, and dozens of heart broken hunts. When I walked up on that buck it was evey range of emotion I can think of and totally worth every second in the tree. Afterwards it was never like "throwing gas on a fire", more like that deep burning intensity of white hot coals as you keep poking and prodding them before you throw the steak onto the grill. Too much and you burn it all out, too little and you end up missing out. I don't know what it is about whitetails, but they just "do it for me" and I pray they always do until the day I am unable to hunt.

Nov 2 2006 I was lucky my good buddy snapped this literally seconds after I found the buck. It wasnt like I expected, because I didn't know what to expect. All I knew was that chasing big deer was all I ever wanted to do in the fall .
20210616_184826.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:16 pm

I killed my first nice buck in 2015 on an out of state trip to Southern Ohio. I started taking bowhunting seriously around 2008, so it took me 7 years to shoot what I considered to be a "big buck". The year prior I killed my biggest Michigan bow buck (a whopping 101"). I thought I had really did something finally breaking 100" mark :lol: and kind of got lazy and ended up not filling my other buck tag. I vowed to never get lazy again.

In 2015, I killed two solid Michigan deer before Halloween, and decided to head to Ohio. I killed the buck (below) on the second day of our trip after I found some hot sign the day before, but setup wrong. I moved to a better location the following morning and had an arrow in the buck within 30 minutes of climbing in the stand around daylight. The whole thing was pretty surreal. I was already "all in" trying to hunt big bucks, but to actually make it happened really opened the door to "Wow, this can actually happen". I've been trying to charge hard ever since. I've killed a couple more solid bucks since, but I'm always looking for the next one. I feel like if I look at the ones I have too much, I'll get lazy again like I did in 2014.
20151107_103541.jpg

As far as killing one with history, that's never really happened. Being a Michigan hunter most of my life meant anything decent basically never made it to 1 or 2 years later to get some history. However, I did miss a REALLY nice mule deer last year in Montana, and I'm hoping he made it, and I'll get another crack this year. I haven't seen many muleys out here with big front forks, so I'm itching to find out if he is still around :pray:
History.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:58 am

Once i accomplish something i never find it as rewarding as i thought i would. I want to, i try to, but its hard to fool yourself on how you feel.

I dont transfer the feeling of work over years to that moment. I only look all the time i spent and at times i feel wasted failing to accomplish the goal. I think i would find it most rewarding if i killed a giant my first hunt going after him. To me thats a well executed plan. Everytime after that becomes more and more like me simply playing the odds and eventually my number comes up.

I think if i did it with a recurve, i would find that rewarding. Shot execution under that pressure with that equipment is something im striving for.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:01 am

Took me about 15 years of deer hunting before getting a true monster, and it was on public land. Also hunted a specific deer for multiple years ending up killing it on two separate occasions. It scratches an itch but after every one it's always been an "on to the next" thing for me.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:33 am

I hunted just over 20 years before I wrapped my hands around the rack of a truly mature slob buck. When I walked up on that buck I had an overwhelming sense of accomplishment and even relief that’s hard to describe. Not gonna lie I teared up a bit. Up to that point I killed a lot of deer but nothing of that caliber so it was pretty darn exciting. Coincidentally it was my first year of Beast style hunting in 2008 before the Hunting Beast was even born. That year everything came together after watching the original Hunting Marsh Bucks dvd. It lit so many light bulbs in me that were dim for so many years.

Since that first mature buck kill it lit a fire in me that hasn’t been extinguished since and just keep burning brighter. I live for that next adventure and next encounter with a mature buck. Win or lose I cherish it all.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”