High heat no rain, and oaks.

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cvanheel

High heat no rain, and oaks.

Unread postby Cvanheel » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:58 am

So sitting here watching a episode of bones, and my brain is wondering. So we are in a bit of a drought around here. It's real dry. We have also been dealing with real high temps for about a week with no end in sight. 85-102 degrees. So my question for you beast's is two fold. First part is do any of you know what kind of effect that these weather conditions have on oaks? Second part is if I'm right with my assumption that it has a negative impact on them then would that potentially make the oaks that are in isolated places near water pure gold come fall?

john1984

Re: High heat no rain, and oaks.

Unread postby john1984 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:07 am

I can't really answer but after no acorns last year I hope this year's different. The temps hit in the upper 20s the nite of May 27th and 28th. Not sure what impact that will have on the oaks this year. :?
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:44 pm

Last season my area had an abnormally hot and dry summer and it was a very abundant acorn crop in the fall.
Cvanheel

Unread postby Cvanheel » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:26 pm

Grizzlyadam wrote:Last season my area had an abnormally hot and dry summer and it was a very abundant acorn crop in the fall.

Interesting. I lived in Northern Minnesota for most my life. Oaks were very far, and few in-between up that way. I now live in the middle of the state, and they are everywhere. Still trying to learn to figure them into my game plans.
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:24 pm

Hot and dry in early summer/late spring means less acorns generally.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:23 pm

Red oaks can only produce every other year at best and white oaks around me usually produce about every 5 years although some can and do produce every year. But a bumper crop is probably every 5 years on average. Very hot and sustained dry conditions can negatively affect an acorn crop but there are many other factors. Are you talking white or red oak? Have you checked the trees for acorns? Not sure if you can see them yet but it shouldn’t be long.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:04 am

Drought can cause failure but can also cause for early dropping.

If it is considered a failed crop - try to locate oak patches that face N/E bc they will hold more moisture. Years acorns fail - bucks will make up to 60% less rubs than usual. Also, rut intensity may be less due to poor physical condition.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”