The hardest part about killing big buck is...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: The hardest part about killing big buck is...

Unread postby Huntress13 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:18 am

For me, all of it is hard apparently. :lol: The biggest one I did get I chalk up to just being in the right place at the right time.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Brokenarrow1980
500 Club

Unread postby Brokenarrow1980 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:39 am

My biggest buck is a dinky 95 inch 8 pointer, when I kill a big buck I can answer lol
It's all fun and games till someone looses an eye..... then its just fun
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:16 am

Chuck B wrote:Finding their exact beds. At least in the area I hunt (river bottoms mostly). Just so many bedding options.

That’s the toughest thing for me anyways.

Are you saying specific buck beds? Or beds in general?
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Mon Jun 07, 2021 5:05 am

Putting it all together.

Finding the sign of rubs, scrapes, beds, tracks, food sources and seeing them I have done.

Killing them is another story. I've killed (2) in almost 40 years and both of them took some luck. Right place, right time. Not a planned event, just a hunt in an area with big buck sign. Not, he beds here, I sit here, I kill here.

The only "planned" mature buck kill I played any part of was just last year. "Sit here at this time, no sooner, no later, kill buck just before dark". A friend of mine killed a mature buck but it actually wasn't the "one" we sought.

Attention to details: I've missed a few with bow (buck fever/misjudge range=mindset), passed on a few I probably should have shot (poor judgement), couldn't get a shot (wrong tree), got winded (lack of attention), bad choice on area to concentrate most effort ("wasted time"/ never really wasted), not anticipating interference from other hunters (poor anticipation).

All self-inflicted reasons from poor preparation that can be corrected. I continue working to correct as many as possible to get it done on a consistent basis. I certainly have learned a ton and I'm more than ever confident.
Shoot Straight
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:02 am

Lockdown wrote:
Chuck B wrote:Finding their exact beds. At least in the area I hunt (river bottoms mostly). Just so many bedding options.

Specific buck beds for my target bucks.

I don’t run a lot of cameras and I live two hours from
Majority of my spots. Don’t get me wrong, I have found and killed some of my targets bucks not far from their bed, just saying for me it is the most challenging part, as it should be.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
Chuck B
500 Club

Unread postby Chuck B » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:02 am

Lockdown wrote:

Specific buck beds for my target bucks.

I don’t run a lot of cameras and I live two hours from
Majority of my spots. Don’t get me wrong, I have found and killed some of my targets bucks not far from their bed, just saying for me it is the most challenging part, as it should be.
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:39 am

...being a time-pressured/weekend warrior and living too close to public land that is close to high-density people populations. Why is that the hardest part? Because it's very convenient; there's a decent deer population; and during rut, I stand an okay chance of getting within bow range of a mature buck. I can drive about an hour away where the pressure is lower, and the bucks grow older, but that's a 2-hour round trip vs. a half-hour round trip -again I'm time-pressured. I know people would love to drive an hour away for a chance at a P&Y or B&C (sometimes I do), but I love the local public land where I live, it suits my time limitations, it challenges me to work harder for the bigger bucks, and it's just a cool place to be. Also, I'm not frustrated if I don't kill a P&Y or bigger every year or every other to third year for that matter.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Tue Jun 08, 2021 4:30 am

Sometimes the hardest part is passing other big bucks or other not as big mature bucks holding out for a specific buck knowing you might be eating a tag .

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”