Mountain Bike

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Mountain Bike

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:43 am

PK_ wrote:Been doing it for over a decade...

A sturdy rear rack will hold a stand, a large front basket will hold a pack, and atv gun holder will hold weapon(you want the low profile ones that spin and pivot). It’s usually hot so I don’t like wearing stand or pack if I don’t have to.

Best part is it doubles as a deer cart.
[url=https://postimages.org/]Image

That guy on the bike looks too tired to pedal.

Great ideas. :handgestures-thumbup:

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:51 am

Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:21 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Maverick1 wrote:I have used a mountain bike for elk and deer - scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Use a single track B.O.B trailer behind the bike.

A few quick notes/tips/lessons learned from first hand experiences:

Can be an awesome tool for scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Covers lots of ground quickly.

When towing a trailer, prefer a mountain bike with a front suspension - NOT a full suspension.

Going downhill with a full backpack, stands, sticks, and meat has quite a bit of momentum. Highly suggest disc brakes Whole setup can get a little sketchy when fully loaded at a high rate of speed.

Suggest lights for the front of the bike and on your helmet. Make sure they are bright enough that you don’t “overdrive your lights”.

Suggest wearing gloves when cycling in cool weather: fingers get cold quicker when cycling 5, 10, 15 mph.

Suggest wearing clear safety/work glasses when riding to keep eyes safe/protected.

Bring items to change out tire in the event of a flat.

If buying a new bike, consider getting one with a silent rear hub/sprocket. (When you aren’t pedaling it is quiet and doesn’t make a ticking or clicking sound).

Dude knows his stuff. All of this. ^^^ :clap:

Thanks! As mentioned above, first hand experience.....below is a picture of my setup.

MTB.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:10 am

Maverick1 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
Maverick1 wrote:I have used a mountain bike for elk and deer - scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Use a single track B.O.B trailer behind the bike.

A few quick notes/tips/lessons learned from first hand experiences:

Can be an awesome tool for scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Covers lots of ground quickly.

When towing a trailer, prefer a mountain bike with a front suspension - NOT a full suspension.

Going downhill with a full backpack, stands, sticks, and meat has quite a bit of momentum. Highly suggest disc brakes Whole setup can get a little sketchy when fully loaded at a high rate of speed.

Suggest lights for the front of the bike and on your helmet. Make sure they are bright enough that you don’t “overdrive your lights”.

Suggest wearing gloves when cycling in cool weather: fingers get cold quicker when cycling 5, 10, 15 mph.

Suggest wearing clear safety/work glasses when riding to keep eyes safe/protected.

Bring items to change out tire in the event of a flat.

If buying a new bike, consider getting one with a silent rear hub/sprocket. (When you aren’t pedaling it is quiet and doesn’t make a ticking or clicking sound).

Dude knows his stuff. All of this. ^^^ :clap:

Thanks! As mentioned above, first hand experience.....below is a picture of my setup.

MTB.JPG

That’s a great setup, great pic and great buck! :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:11 am

:lol:

So a bike qualifies as foot travel? :think:
----------
JP BowHunter

Unread postby JP BowHunter » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:16 pm

brancher147 wrote:I have used one but no longer on steep stuff after going over the handlebars at top speed…broken collar bone…alone…miles from nowhere no cell service-it’s a bad deal and a long walk out and drive to the hospital. Luckily I was only scouting and had no weapon or stand on my back. Can’t even imagine if I’d had a stand on my back.

I still use one but limit it to flat gated roads and nothing but backpack on my back. I use an atv gun mount on the handlebars for my gun never tried with a bow.

Over the handlebars at top speed thing happened to me once a few years ago. Somehow I managed to come away from the ordeal with minor injuries. I figured it was my one get out of jail free card and that God was telling me that I didn’t need to be mountain biking anymore, so I gave it up.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:36 pm

A sturdy rear rack will hold a stand, a large front basket will hold a pack, and atv gun holder will hold weapon(you want the low profile ones that spin and pivot). It’s usually hot so I don’t like wearing stand or pack if I don’t have to.

LMAO that thing ain't even gutted either!
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:14 pm

JP BowHunter wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I have used one but no longer on steep stuff after going over the handlebars at top speed…broken collar bone…alone…miles from nowhere no cell service-it’s a bad deal and a long walk out and drive to the hospital. Luckily I was only scouting and had no weapon or stand on my back. Can’t even imagine if I’d had a stand on my back.

I still use one but limit it to flat gated roads and nothing but backpack on my back. I use an atv gun mount on the handlebars for my gun never tried with a bow.

Over the handlebars at top speed thing happened to me once a few years ago. Somehow I managed to come away from the ordeal with minor injuries. I figured it was my one get out of jail free card and that God was telling me that I didn’t need to be mountain biking anymore, so I gave it up.

Yeah it’s a crazy ride. Lucky you didn’t get hurt. I was going down a steep gated road and thought it was great how fast I was getting along then all of a sudden there was no bike below me…I believe it was mostly caused by wet leaves (was after a rain storm in October) covering the road that would usually be just gravel. I was really pretty lucky too as I was not wearing a helmet and I had planned to carry a stand on my back but ditched that idea at the last minute. I probably would have been seriously injured with a stand on my back. Live and learn I guess.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Trump45

Unread postby Trump45 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 6:28 am

Appreciate all the input fellow Beasts. I borrowed a buddy's bike and gave it a little test run today on some public with a logging road and I'm sold. It's a tool I have decided I must have. At a minimum it'll be used for scouting, and a few hunts per year. Thanks again all.

-T45
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:32 am

Sporting a black eye and everything. Looks like you and the deer got into a fist/hoof fight and you won!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:21 am

Mavericks picture shows that he uses a helmet.
Smart guy. I'm needing one soon.
Last season I tried a MTN bike and had good luck with strapping bow to stand, on back. And rode cautious but didn't think through some of the dangers.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Mon Jun 07, 2021 11:45 am

Almost all my FL hunts require me to ride a bike.
Heck scouting in the off season they won’t even let you in the gate With your truck. You have to bike even further.

I put my stand and my pack on my back.
I got a atv gun rack for my handlebars and I put my bow in it.
I take my time and go slow.
Often I am above the peddles with water but by feet stay dry!
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Mon Jun 07, 2021 9:26 pm

Trump45 wrote:Are there any beast members who use a mountain bike during hunting season to get in and out? A climbing stand or climbing method is a must, plus weapon. I hunt public land so no stands or fixed locations setup prior to biking in. If you use a Mtn bike, please fill me on on how much gear you bike in with you and how. Also, if you have tried before and it didn't work, would love to learn from your pain.

-Trump45

Always thought this scabbard was cool, attaches to the bike.

http://www.montanascabbards.com/scabbards/
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:16 am

buttonbuck wrote:
Trump45 wrote:Are there any beast members who use a mountain bike during hunting season to get in and out? A climbing stand or climbing method is a must, plus weapon. I hunt public land so no stands or fixed locations setup prior to biking in. If you use a Mtn bike, please fill me on on how much gear you bike in with you and how. Also, if you have tried before and it didn't work, would love to learn from your pain.

-Trump45

Always thought this scabbard was cool, attaches to the bike.

http://www.montanascabbards.com/scabbards/

Here’s a video on it. Looks decent.

https://youtu.be/_WBRhc8psf0
----------
Aaron Jones
Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/aaron.m.jones.90?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby Aaron Jones » Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:15 am

I have been hunting with a bike for awhile now. I deer and turkey hunt with it on all public land using fire breaks, logging trails, and other trails.

I WILL NOT GO BACK TO WALKING IN. It has changed the way I hunt. The member above went through a great list of tips and tricks that he has experienced. The main thing I would reiterate would be having a tire replacement with you on your bike at all times because you will get a flat at the least opportune moment.

If you have any questions about the pictures, let me know.
I have put a my progression from when I first started to today. With my old bike setup to my new bike setup. From not electric to the electric kit that I put on it. This bike is essential for my style of hunting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Loving the Public Land pursuit!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”