Mountain Bike

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trump45

Mountain Bike

Unread postby Trump45 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:25 am

Are there any beast members who use a mountain bike during hunting season to get in and out? A climbing stand or climbing method is a must, plus weapon. I hunt public land so no stands or fixed locations setup prior to biking in. If you use a Mtn bike, please fill me on on how much gear you bike in with you and how. Also, if you have tried before and it didn't work, would love to learn from your pain.

-Trump45

Tsom
500 Club

Re: Mountain Bike

Unread postby Tsom » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:12 am

I use one but only on trails that are nice and flat like the rails to trails type around here. Stand on back and bow in hand across the handlebars. Doesn't work well when the trails get rough. Definitely a time saver where it works.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:25 am

Tsom wrote:I use one but only on trails that are nice and flat like the rails to trails type around here. Stand on back and bow in hand across the handlebars. Doesn't work well when the trails get rough. Definitely a time saver where it works.

Same
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:43 am

I use a mountain bike but mostly to go about a .5 to 1 mile up the road from parking. It's also good for some of the horse trails for a little ways before it gets too rough to go further. When I use the bike, I'll ground hunt instead of carrying a tree stand. It's very effective in getting away from people quickly, and feel it's more effective in the morning if you're anticipating pressure to move the deer to you. This way, you're already back in a long ways before the average hunter is hoofing into the woods and possibly pushing deer in your direction. I killed my Ohio buck last year doing that very thing using a mountain bike.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jun 04, 2021 8:11 am

G-Patt wrote:I use a mountain bike but mostly to go about a .5 to 1 mile up the road from parking. It's also good for some of the horse trails for a little ways before it gets too rough to go further. When I use the bike, I'll ground hunt instead of carrying a tree stand. It's very effective in getting away from people quickly, and feel it's more effective in the morning if you're anticipating pressure to move the deer to you. This way, you're already back in a long ways before the average hunter is hoofing into the woods and possibly pushing deer in your direction. I killed my Ohio buck last year doing that very thing using a mountain bike.

I did this scouting this year when an area I wanted to hit was in between parking areas and I wanted to save time. I think it would work pretty well. Those ebikes have gotten popular in some of the hunting community too.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:18 am

I have used one but no longer on steep stuff after going over the handlebars at top speed…broken collar bone…alone…miles from nowhere no cell service-it’s a bad deal and a long walk out and drive to the hospital. Luckily I was only scouting and had no weapon or stand on my back. Can’t even imagine if I’d had a stand on my back.

I still use one but limit it to flat gated roads and nothing but backpack on my back. I use an atv gun mount on the handlebars for my gun never tried with a bow.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:28 am

I like ATV gun grips on the handlebars for my bow and everything else goes on my back.

Most important piece of gear is a good light or headlamp for riding in the dark. Above all be careful. I had a few crashes over the years that could have been so much worse. I figure eventually my luck will run out. If you ride long enough in the dark it’s bound to happen.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:14 am

brancher147 wrote:I have used one but no longer on steep stuff after going over the handlebars at top speed…broken collar bone…alone…miles from nowhere no cell service-it’s a bad deal and a long walk out and drive to the hospital. Luckily I was only scouting and had no weapon or stand on my back. Can’t even imagine if I’d had a stand on my back.

I still use one but limit it to flat gated roads and nothing but backpack on my back. I use an atv gun mount on the handlebars for my gun never tried with a bow.

I remembered a post on here about that last year, glad you are ok. The write up sounded extremely gnarly. Glad it wasn’t any worse you might not have been able to write about it. That post changed my mind about ever wanting to use a mountain bike on an unkempt trail in the dark.
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:45 am

Ive used one for scouting before, but not for hunting. I was considering it though because a couple spots I go to I walk down an old 2 track for a ways. Would save some time for sure.
I also came across a guy on you tube that made an attachment for his deer cart to the back of the bike. Just haul it with you. Thought that was kind of cool.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:28 am

greenhorndave wrote:
G-Patt wrote:I use a mountain bike but mostly to go about a .5 to 1 mile up the road from parking. It's also good for some of the horse trails for a little ways before it gets too rough to go further. When I use the bike, I'll ground hunt instead of carrying a tree stand. It's very effective in getting away from people quickly, and feel it's more effective in the morning if you're anticipating pressure to move the deer to you. This way, you're already back in a long ways before the average hunter is hoofing into the woods and possibly pushing deer in your direction. I killed my Ohio buck last year doing that very thing using a mountain bike.

I did this scouting this year when an area I wanted to hit was in between parking areas and I wanted to save time. I think it would work pretty well. Those ebikes have gotten popular in some of the hunting community too.

It would work great for that purpose and that is mainly what I use it for. Once you get in the woods with the bike, and even on horse trails, it's pretty hard going. I usually ditch it just inside the woods, lock it up and go from there. But yeah, in between parking spots and up the road, out of the way places, it's gold. I would love one of those ebikes with the huge wheels. That would be fun just to ride around the hood or on local bike trails.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jun 05, 2021 7:56 am

G-Patt wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

It would work great for that purpose and that is mainly what I use it for. Once you get in the woods with the bike, and even on horse trails, it's pretty hard going. I usually ditch it just inside the woods, lock it up and go from there. But yeah, in between parking spots and up the road, out of the way places, it's gold. I would love one of those ebikes with the huge wheels. That would be fun just to ride around the hood or on local bike trails.

Totally agree. The trails are a totally different level of effort. Not saying it can’t be done, but you will sweat your fanny off if you wear full hunting clothes. What actually would be interesting is if you know a buck crosses in a certain part of a trail, you could actually do that thing where a farmer drops someone off from a tractor or ATV and keeps going. Get a biking buddy and have him keep going while you peel off quietly.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:07 am

I have used a mountain bike for elk and deer - scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Use a single track B.O.B trailer behind the bike.

A few quick notes/tips/lessons learned from first hand experiences:

Can be an awesome tool for scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Covers lots of ground quickly.

When towing a trailer, prefer a mountain bike with a front suspension - NOT a full suspension.

Going downhill with a full backpack, stands, sticks, and meat has quite a bit of momentum. Highly suggest disc brakes Whole setup can get a little sketchy when fully loaded at a high rate of speed.

Suggest lights for the front of the bike and on your helmet. Make sure they are bright enough that you don’t “overdrive your lights”.

Suggest wearing gloves when cycling in cool weather: fingers get cold quicker when cycling 5, 10, 15 mph.

Suggest wearing clear safety/work glasses when riding to keep eyes safe/protected.

Bring items to change out tire in the event of a flat.

If buying a new bike, consider getting one with a silent rear hub/sprocket. (When you aren’t pedaling it is quiet and doesn’t make a ticking or clicking sound).
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
jbone23

Unread postby jbone23 » Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:43 pm

I've used one for hunting with gravel road for access with no elevation change. Worked very well for that application. Would be worried about non gravel roads or hills and sweat factor.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:39 am

Been doing it for over a decade...

A sturdy rear rack will hold a stand, a large front basket will hold a pack, and atv gun holder will hold weapon(you want the low profile ones that spin and pivot). It’s usually hot so I don’t like wearing stand or pack if I don’t have to.

Best part is it doubles as a deer cart.
[url=https://postimages.org/]Image
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:42 am

Maverick1 wrote:I have used a mountain bike for elk and deer - scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Use a single track B.O.B trailer behind the bike.

A few quick notes/tips/lessons learned from first hand experiences:

Can be an awesome tool for scouting, hunting, and hauling meat. Covers lots of ground quickly.

When towing a trailer, prefer a mountain bike with a front suspension - NOT a full suspension.

Going downhill with a full backpack, stands, sticks, and meat has quite a bit of momentum. Highly suggest disc brakes Whole setup can get a little sketchy when fully loaded at a high rate of speed.

Suggest lights for the front of the bike and on your helmet. Make sure they are bright enough that you don’t “overdrive your lights”.

Suggest wearing gloves when cycling in cool weather: fingers get cold quicker when cycling 5, 10, 15 mph.

Suggest wearing clear safety/work glasses when riding to keep eyes safe/protected.

Bring items to change out tire in the event of a flat.

If buying a new bike, consider getting one with a silent rear hub/sprocket. (When you aren’t pedaling it is quiet and doesn’t make a ticking or clicking sound).

Dude knows his stuff. All of this. ^^^ :clap:
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”