Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jimmy wallhanger
500 Club

Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Unread postby Jimmy wallhanger » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:04 am

Just listened to the first episode and it's got some great material on Mitch. I personally am fascinated with this story and think Mitch is probably one of the best whitetail bowhunters of all time.
It's well documented he is not that social and pretty much has dedicated his entire life to the pursuit of big bucks and never really sought recognition for his accomplishments.

I personally think he had been hunting this buck for at least two years and killed it then just due to his personality just did not want any of the hassle and attention that began to arise and just basically said "screw you all I know its legit thats all that matters to me"

Obviously the unknown creates the legend and mystique surrounding him and the buck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Jimmy wallhanger on Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

"I don't care if you use it or not, I could care less, There's no money in it for me, Im not making any money from scent-lok... I'm making a little bit of royalties from the saddlehunter suit"
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Unread postby Hawthorne » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:02 am

It was a fraud. No bucks like that in northern Michigan. Lol
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:13 pm

Hawthorne wrote:It was a fraud. No bucks like that in northern Michigan. Lol

That’s the hardest part to believe when you start looking up records from that part of the state. Does not mean that a unicorn could not exists though, look at Dan’s Bear Bait Buck.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:03 pm

Good stuff, hopefully they continue.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:30 am

Definitely an intriguing story and mystery.
roosterstraw

Unread postby roosterstraw » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:46 am

The podcast is great. I hope he continues to research and keep the series going. I personally will believe he killed it until there is evidence to disclaim it
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:23 am

I don’t know about the “he didn’t want attention” part of the story. He had entered numerous bucks with P&Y and the Michigan equivalent. If he was an actual recluse would he have entered any bucks?
Anyway I still think it is real
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:27 am

I’ll have to listen to this one. I felt it was real from the beginning. The more I hear about Mitch the more I believe it’s legit and don’t blame him for turning his back on the so called trophy books. After being treated like he has who cares about records. Don’t blame him one bit for turning into a recluse. He killed a bunch of big bucks since and hasn’t entered any of them. Screw em’ and keep enjoying what you love to do. He did it right.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:54 am

Ed I accidentally screwed your post up... please post again. My bad... Bridge.
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:41 pm

Didn't listen to it, but my thoughts on the Rompola Buck.

1. People say he didn't want the attention, but he had a website about the bucks that he killed. Not many people that are recluses that I know have a website about themselves.
2. He was offered $10,000 to have the rack x rayed. He wouldn't do it. Forget the money but if legit I would have gotten the buck x-rayed to prove that it was.
3. He also had some past criminal history. Doesn't have anything to do with the deer but does make you question the guy.
4. Then there is other evidence about the deer that makes things sketchy.

Obviously I don't know the guy and don't know if it is legit. Based upon what evidence that I have seen, I have a pretty strong doubt that it is legit. Likely we will never know for sure at this point.
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm

I found myself very interested in this topic last year and did a bunch of searching on the internet. I kind of think it’s real like 80% real 20% fake.

If I remember I had read someone he hated and often fought with offered 10k to his charity of choice if he would have it x rayed. If that is true I would have told them to pack sand. Also how many other records have been required to have an x ray for authenticity. Then there was the whole questioning his character and everything he may have done in his past and all that dragging him through the mud. I’m not saying he is a saint but it had nothing to do with the deer or hunting why is it always tied to this story. I think a lot of the website stuff was put out there by his kids trying to defend their dad.

Not that I every will but if I did kill a record just to off all the Monday night quarter backing haters out there I wouldn’t put it in the books either. I would post about a 10 min video on YouTube of it being measured but not sign anything or tell any details about it just to watch the hunting community turn upside down.

My dad always told me don’t believe all you hear and half you see. I wasn’t there so it could all be BS but then again I give the benefit of the doubt to most people when they say they killed this or that so I don’t know why I wouldn’t do the same in this case.
bigredneck61088

Unread postby bigredneck61088 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:55 pm

Interesting listen that’s for sure, waiting for the next one!
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:22 pm

Really interesting :think: .. is the guy still alive? I did a super fast search and did not see anything saying he was or wasn’t. Where are the antlers today? What’s more impressive than the kill is the mystery. It’s hard to believe something never leaked out about the location of the actual mount and it never got stolen or robbed. You would think with so many in question for this long about the whole thing that some body would have ransacked the guys house and simply stole the antlers. Maybe that’s far fetched but people are crazy. I mean it’s only the biggest mystery the hunting or outdoor world has ever seen and it seems like it would be easy to prove either way. Granted, if you did produce the antlers somehow illegally then obviously you would be incriminated but like I said who knows.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:24 pm

I see this topic pop up on the bowsite from time to time and Mitch’s son will chime in and defend his dad and say he still has the rack. The whole droopy ear thing? Take a look at about any south TX deer kill pic and they all look like that! The biggest thing for me is the pic of the buck in the bed of a pickup with a Conservation Officer standing next to it (if I remember right it was in Deer and Deer Hunting). Can’t remember his name but he said it was legit and he had his hands on it! Last thing is the deer in the pic laying there is one big deer! Even if he faked the rack that was a huge deer he put the rack on.
My .02.

Bio1
Wlog
500 Club

Unread postby Wlog » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:36 am

I went on the deer Hunter podcast site but couldn’t find the episode for some reason. Does someone have a link?

Edit:
Never mind found it.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”