Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Deer Hunter Podcast Rompola Buck

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:56 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:I'm on the fence. Heard so much odd stuff around this buck. I recollect some rumor about a fire that may have burned them. Anyone remember that?

I did hear the original rack was destroyed in a fire, but seems to be a rumor, nothing I've seen supporting it.

Must have been a hot, hot fire.....highly doubt antler will turn to dust in a normal house fire

Nothing about this story makes any sense other than what seems like someone trying really hard to avoid the hard light of day...

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:28 pm

This was written by Gordon Whittingnton the editor of North American Whitetail:
THE ROMPOLA MYSTERY
A decade later, we saw an eerily similar replay of that episode. This one involved a buck rumored to have been arrowed near Traverse City, Michigan, on Friday, Nov. 13, 1998.

Upon hearing the news I called Mitch immediately, hopeful of getting all the details and, of course, seeing the deer for myself. Neither happened. Mitch was vague in his description of the deer and the events surrounding the kill and wouldn't let me view the rack. But I was able to get him to tell me that the buck was one he'd been after for several years. Mitch offered no "green" score or specific antler measurements but implied that his deer would beat Milo Hanson's 213 5/8-inch Saskatchewan buck, the B&C world record. Mitch claimed his trophy was easily larger than the world record by bow, the 204 4/8-incher Mel Johnson had shot in Illinois in 1965.

Mitch did say he'd dragged the 261-pound (field-dressed) deer out of the swamp alone. He said he'd taken a photo of himself with the deer and video footage of the deer's recovery as well. I couldn't get any of those materials from Mitch, but he did give them to some in-state media outlets, which immediately ran the story.

When the news broke, bedlam ensued; hunters everywhere wanted to know more. But after the initial flurry of "information," details were even harder to come by. In fact, less than a week after the reported kill, Mitch got an unlisted phone number and dropped out of sight.

In 1998, Mitch Rompola claimed to have broken the world record with this super-wide typical from northern Michigan. But he never entered the rack into any record book or even proved it was real.
Representatives of several companies with whom he'd developed business relationships weren't as hard to find. In fact, at a press conference at the archery industry's trade show in early 1999, I listened as several of them noted their plans to work with Mitch in marketing products that had played key roles in his hunt for a "new world record."

The rack never was entered into any record book, though in early 1999 three measurers scored it at 216 5/8 net points on behalf of Commemorative Bucks of Michigan. What made the lack of an entry into CBM curious was that Mitch once had served as the club's scoring chairman.

Some who doubt the deer's legitimacy focus more on Mitch than on the animal. Among other things, they note that he has a criminal record, which they say proves he isn't credible. They say the fact that he never entered the rack into B&C means it must be a fake. (He couldn't enter it into P&Y if he wanted to, as his bow exceeded the maximum 65 percent let-off allowable by P&Y.) They say that even before Nov. 13, 1998 he had a detailed plan to profit from killing a No. 1 buck, meaning this likely was all just an elaborate scam.

I'm not sure how much of

the above is relevant. A lot of other people also have criminal records, but that doesn't make them liars. Not everyone elects to enter deer into record books. That's a personal decision. And even if Mitch had planned out a strategy for cashing in on killing a potential No. 1 deer he was hunting, that's not unthinkable. Many other hunters might have done so too.

So, for the moment, let's leave Mitch out of this. Let's deal just with the deer - starting with the claim that he's bogus because he couldn't have lived in Grand Traverse County.

I won't go that far. Granted, this part of Lower Michigan doesn't have what it takes to grow a lot of colossal deer - the glacial soils are infertile, hunting pressure is heavy, and there's little high-protein agriculture - but one giant can turn up anywhere.

Think about it. How many counties in North America have grown more than one known buck grossing over 220 typical? I can't think of any. For that matter, how many ever have grown more than one grossing over 300 non-typical? Same answer. Yes, big deer are much more common in some areas than others, but the true giants are freaks of nature that seem to appear out of nowhere.

As for the notion that the rarity of even 150-inch bucks in Mitch's area means a deer grossing over 220 is impossible, let's back up a minute. What about James Stovall's massive No. 1 Florida buck, which is far and away the biggest buck ever to come from that state? No one doubts that the Florida buck is real or that he came from where James says - but if we were operating strictly on the basis of history, we might.

So, am I claiming the Rompola buck is real? No. And why not? I have three reasons: (1) the rack doesn't look real to me; (2) Mitch has steadfastly refused to prove it's real, even though doing so would benefit him and others directly; and (3) I've seen photos you haven't. Let's examine these concerns one by one:

To me, the antlers simply look like what you'd come up with if trying to fool somebody with a rack fabricated from synthetic materials, sheds and/or an assortment of "spare parts." My view is based on experience, which isn't proof; however, in the absence of documentation that the rack is real, what but experience can any of us draw on?

I've closely examined all of the world's biggest whitetail racks that have been confirmed as real, and I've never seen another one with nearly so wide a gap between the burrs. Nor has anyone else I know. While this is by no means proof that the Rompola rack is a fake, it makes me highly suspicious.

Does that mean we're looking at a pair of sheds, a huge intact rack with the skull plate widened to increase the score or even one that was drastically modified or built from scratch? I don't know, but I'd argue that one of those scenarios is the case.

As many skeptics note, the drooping ears on the Rompola buck do nothing to squelch the rumor that the original rack was removed and a fake one inserted for photo purposes. The blood on the right ear only adds to that suspicion. But even if we somehow explain away the ear problem and the space between the bases, the antlers themselves are problematic.

I know of no other rack with an alleged gross typical score of over 220 (there are only a few in existence) that doesn't have at least one abnormal point. There are apparently no broken points on the Rompola rack.

The symmetry is also unprecedented for a deer of this class, and I'm not just referring to tine length, beam length and mass; the two sides are virtual mirror images of each other, which isn't the case with any other known rack of similar size. And, to top it off, the antler color looks artificial, similar to what's often seen on known fake racks.

When we combine these questions with the fact that the measurers couldn't see the underside of the skull plate - it was on a nearly finished shoulder mount at the time of scoring - I'm even more leery. I've talked to all three measurers and believe each is honest and knows how to score a rack; however, I have this nagging fear they weren't given full opportunity to verify the rack's authenticity. I fear the companies that initially hoped to market products on the basis of this buck's being a "world record" were misled as well.

Had Mitch simply taken the rack to a local dentist or doctor's office for X-raying, he could have come out well financially in the process of proving his case. Two of his most vocal critics in Michigan each had put up $10,000, which they said Mitch could collect if he'd just have the rack X-rayed and enter it into B&C. But not even that could spur the man into action.

I think these points are enough to make any reasonable person suspicious that the Rompola buck is a fake. And when I toss out a few more tidbits, my doubt only grows.

You might be shocked to learn that I actually learned of this deer a year or so before the public did - but I didn't hear about him from Mitch. Rather, the report came from a hunting-products manufacturer. In a phone conversation, the man told me Mitch was using his products in his effort to arrow a certain buck he claimed had a "three-foot spread."

I thought little more about that conversation in the year that followed; after all, I'd probably heard 100 stories about bucks with "a three-foot spread," and I knew not to sit by the phone awaiting word that any of them had been shot. But the day I heard Mitch had killed a "new world record with a 30-inch spread," I recalled that earlier conversation about the deer and thought how amazing it was that Mitch finally had caught up with him. Thus, instead of being overly skeptical, I began pursuing the Rompola story with far more reason than usual to think I was onto something factual.

When I saw the field photo of the deer, the view began to change. Again, it just didn't look right. Plus, I no longer could contact Mitch. That in itself was a first for me, though again it proved utterly nothing.

But as much as anything else, I was quite suspicious of two "live" photos of the buck, both of which turned up after the first story broke.

Mitch allegedly snapped one of the shots with his 35mm camera a few days before he said he killed the deer. The blurry photo showed the buck from the rear, with the head stuck out from behind a tree. A scent-dripper also was visible in the photo.

This is a classic fake "world record" typical. The anonymous person who sent it to our magazine in 1997 claimed the deer had been shot by his/her cousin and would net over 229 points, easily No. 1. Of course, there was no proof to back up the claim.
Hmmmmm. I could understand the photo being blurry - if I ever snap a photo of a live 216-inch typical while I'm hunting, that shot will be pretty shaky

too - but I simply felt I wasn't looking at a photo of a live deer. The shot had been taken from the only possible angle that would have allowed anyone to explain away the lack of a deer's body in the photo. My impression was that someone had set up a shoulder mount on the far side of a tree in order to shoot a photo for a scent-dripper ad. But I was told the shot hadn't being staged.

A year or so later I was at a hunting show, looking at a photo album in the booth of the manufacturer who'd originally told me about Mitch's pursuit of the deer. As I flipped through the pages, I came to an 8x10 color print that showed the buck from the front - bedded in the snow - this time with much of his body visible!

I asked the guy when that photo had been shot. He said in December 1997: roughly 11 months before Mitch claimed to have shot the deer.

Now this was really getting interesting. If the photo was of a live deer, it couldn't have been taken any later than early 1998 because of the snow. At the time of the reported kill (Nov. 13, 1998,) it hadn't snowed in that area all fall. Problem was, it looked to me that the rack on the live deer was a carbon copy of the one on the buck Mitch posed with in late 1998.

I feel safe in claiming that the rack on no whitetail buck is exactly the same two years in a row. But standing there, looking at that shot of the bedded deer, I satisfied myself that his rack and the one in the "kill" shot were indistinguishable. How could that be, unless the same rack had been moved from deer body to deer body for photo purposes?

If I'm right - and trust me, I looked over that photo pretty hard - I submit that this is as compelling an argument as any against Mitch's claims. Forget for a moment that it might be hard to slip up on a wild 216-inch typical in his bed and snap a photo of him. I'm told Mitch is a highly skilled woodsman, so for all I know, he was able to do just that. What I can't reconcile is that "1997" rack looking just like the one the deer grew the next year.

If Mitch did on two occasions slip into camera range of the biggest typical in history - both times while bow season was open, but without being able to actually kill the deer - I'm betting he snapped the shutter more than once each time. If that's the case, the photos I want to see are the ones that haven't been made available: those portraying the deer in motion. While the static photos I've seen could have been faked with ease, that wouldn't be true of even a blurry shot of the deer doing something.

Furthermore, it goes without saying that video footage of the live deer - which is actually far easier to get than a still photo, particularly in dim light - would have made Mitch's case infinitely stronger. Were such footage produced tomorrow, I'd have little choice but to conclude that the rack is real; without it, I'm left to wonder why the only photographic evidence of the "live" deer is of the type that's harder to get but easier to fake.

But suspicions are one thing, hard evidence something else. Lacking proof that the Rompola buck was bogus, I finally just moved on, as did many others in the outdoors media. It seemed there never would be any sort of closure to the story, because Mitch kept refusing to remove the clouds of doubt.

DID YOU KNOW?

Not all trophy alterations have involved whitetail racks. Nor have they always been discovered prior to certification. In fact, years ago an old "world record" pronghorn antelope was removed from atop the Boone and Crockett Club's rankings because the rack had been tampered with. Someone had used extra materials to build up the base of each horn, resulting in several exaggerated circumference measurements. X-rays revealed the alteration, and B&C promptly deleted the trophy from its records.

But in the end, he did make what I believe was a telling move. Milo Hanson's business associate, John Butler, grew weary of the unsubstantiated claims about "Michigan's new world record." Those claims were making it hard for John to book the Hanson buck display into hunting shows, because many show producers still assumed the Rompola buck was real - and bigger than Milo's certified record.

Finally, John gave Mitch's camp an ultimatum: Prove your deer is real or tell everyone operating on your behalf to quit calling him the "world-record typical." Faced with the threat of legal action, Mitch quickly signed a settlement in which he agreed not to enter his deer into B&C as long as Milo has the record. Nor, per the agreement, can Mitch refer to his rack as a "world record." He can't even publicly display it or a replica.

It's worth noting that Mitch received no money in return for signing away his right to enter the rack into B&C. This proves nothing, but I think it bolsters the claim that he didn't have a potential record to begin with.

Should all antlers, horns and skulls be X-rayed before being accepted into B&C, P&Y or any other record book, whether they're potentially No. 1 or not? Should those already in the book be subjected to this level of scrutiny as well, to make sure they're the real deal? If this were done, I'm sure we'd keep some shed/altered antlers out of the books, and we'd find that some have made it in already.

But there are tens of thousands of racks on one or more record lists, from B&C and P&Y on down to the state/provincial level. No way could we test - or even find - all of them. And even if we could, should we question the integrity of every hunter who signs off on his or her trophy as legitimate? Would polygraph testing be next? Although the honor system we now use doesn't always weed out the dishonorable, mandating lie-detector tests would seem onerous and potentially devastating to hunting's public image.

Full story here: https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... ors/264232
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:28 pm

dan wrote:This was written by Gordon Whittingnton the editor of North American Whitetail:
THE ROMPOLA MYSTERY
A decade later, we saw an eerily similar replay of that episode. This one involved a buck rumored to have been arrowed near Traverse City, Michigan, on Friday, Nov. 13, 1998.

Upon hearing the news I called Mitch immediately, hopeful of getting all the details and, of course, seeing the deer for myself. Neither happened. Mitch was vague in his description of the deer and the events surrounding the kill and wouldn't let me view the rack. But I was able to get him to tell me that the buck was one he'd been after for several years. Mitch offered no "green" score or specific antler measurements but implied that his deer would beat Milo Hanson's 213 5/8-inch Saskatchewan buck, the B&C world record. Mitch claimed his trophy was easily larger than the world record by bow, the 204 4/8-incher Mel Johnson had shot in Illinois in 1965.

Mitch did say he'd dragged the 261-pound (field-dressed) deer out of the swamp alone. He said he'd taken a photo of himself with the deer and video footage of the deer's recovery as well. I couldn't get any of those materials from Mitch, but he did give them to some in-state media outlets, which immediately ran the story.

When the news broke, bedlam ensued; hunters everywhere wanted to know more. But after the initial flurry of "information," details were even harder to come by. In fact, less than a week after the reported kill, Mitch got an unlisted phone number and dropped out of sight.

In 1998, Mitch Rompola claimed to have broken the world record with this super-wide typical from northern Michigan. But he never entered the rack into any record book or even proved it was real.
Representatives of several companies with whom he'd developed business relationships weren't as hard to find. In fact, at a press conference at the archery industry's trade show in early 1999, I listened as several of them noted their plans to work with Mitch in marketing products that had played key roles in his hunt for a "new world record."

The rack never was entered into any record book, though in early 1999 three measurers scored it at 216 5/8 net points on behalf of Commemorative Bucks of Michigan. What made the lack of an entry into CBM curious was that Mitch once had served as the club's scoring chairman.

Some who doubt the deer's legitimacy focus more on Mitch than on the animal. Among other things, they note that he has a criminal record, which they say proves he isn't credible. They say the fact that he never entered the rack into B&C means it must be a fake. (He couldn't enter it into P&Y if he wanted to, as his bow exceeded the maximum 65 percent let-off allowable by P&Y.) They say that even before Nov. 13, 1998 he had a detailed plan to profit from killing a No. 1 buck, meaning this likely was all just an elaborate scam.

I'm not sure how much of

the above is relevant. A lot of other people also have criminal records, but that doesn't make them liars. Not everyone elects to enter deer into record books. That's a personal decision. And even if Mitch had planned out a strategy for cashing in on killing a potential No. 1 deer he was hunting, that's not unthinkable. Many other hunters might have done so too.

So, for the moment, let's leave Mitch out of this. Let's deal just with the deer - starting with the claim that he's bogus because he couldn't have lived in Grand Traverse County.

I won't go that far. Granted, this part of Lower Michigan doesn't have what it takes to grow a lot of colossal deer - the glacial soils are infertile, hunting pressure is heavy, and there's little high-protein agriculture - but one giant can turn up anywhere.

Think about it. How many counties in North America have grown more than one known buck grossing over 220 typical? I can't think of any. For that matter, how many ever have grown more than one grossing over 300 non-typical? Same answer. Yes, big deer are much more common in some areas than others, but the true giants are freaks of nature that seem to appear out of nowhere.

As for the notion that the rarity of even 150-inch bucks in Mitch's area means a deer grossing over 220 is impossible, let's back up a minute. What about James Stovall's massive No. 1 Florida buck, which is far and away the biggest buck ever to come from that state? No one doubts that the Florida buck is real or that he came from where James says - but if we were operating strictly on the basis of history, we might.

So, am I claiming the Rompola buck is real? No. And why not? I have three reasons: (1) the rack doesn't look real to me; (2) Mitch has steadfastly refused to prove it's real, even though doing so would benefit him and others directly; and (3) I've seen photos you haven't. Let's examine these concerns one by one:

To me, the antlers simply look like what you'd come up with if trying to fool somebody with a rack fabricated from synthetic materials, sheds and/or an assortment of "spare parts." My view is based on experience, which isn't proof; however, in the absence of documentation that the rack is real, what but experience can any of us draw on?

I've closely examined all of the world's biggest whitetail racks that have been confirmed as real, and I've never seen another one with nearly so wide a gap between the burrs. Nor has anyone else I know. While this is by no means proof that the Rompola rack is a fake, it makes me highly suspicious.

Does that mean we're looking at a pair of sheds, a huge intact rack with the skull plate widened to increase the score or even one that was drastically modified or built from scratch? I don't know, but I'd argue that one of those scenarios is the case.

As many skeptics note, the drooping ears on the Rompola buck do nothing to squelch the rumor that the original rack was removed and a fake one inserted for photo purposes. The blood on the right ear only adds to that suspicion. But even if we somehow explain away the ear problem and the space between the bases, the antlers themselves are problematic.

I know of no other rack with an alleged gross typical score of over 220 (there are only a few in existence) that doesn't have at least one abnormal point. There are apparently no broken points on the Rompola rack.

The symmetry is also unprecedented for a deer of this class, and I'm not just referring to tine length, beam length and mass; the two sides are virtual mirror images of each other, which isn't the case with any other known rack of similar size. And, to top it off, the antler color looks artificial, similar to what's often seen on known fake racks.

When we combine these questions with the fact that the measurers couldn't see the underside of the skull plate - it was on a nearly finished shoulder mount at the time of scoring - I'm even more leery. I've talked to all three measurers and believe each is honest and knows how to score a rack; however, I have this nagging fear they weren't given full opportunity to verify the rack's authenticity. I fear the companies that initially hoped to market products on the basis of this buck's being a "world record" were misled as well.

Had Mitch simply taken the rack to a local dentist or doctor's office for X-raying, he could have come out well financially in the process of proving his case. Two of his most vocal critics in Michigan each had put up $10,000, which they said Mitch could collect if he'd just have the rack X-rayed and enter it into B&C. But not even that could spur the man into action.

I think these points are enough to make any reasonable person suspicious that the Rompola buck is a fake. And when I toss out a few more tidbits, my doubt only grows.

You might be shocked to learn that I actually learned of this deer a year or so before the public did - but I didn't hear about him from Mitch. Rather, the report came from a hunting-products manufacturer. In a phone conversation, the man told me Mitch was using his products in his effort to arrow a certain buck he claimed had a "three-foot spread."

I thought little more about that conversation in the year that followed; after all, I'd probably heard 100 stories about bucks with "a three-foot spread," and I knew not to sit by the phone awaiting word that any of them had been shot. But the day I heard Mitch had killed a "new world record with a 30-inch spread," I recalled that earlier conversation about the deer and thought how amazing it was that Mitch finally had caught up with him. Thus, instead of being overly skeptical, I began pursuing the Rompola story with far more reason than usual to think I was onto something factual.

When I saw the field photo of the deer, the view began to change. Again, it just didn't look right. Plus, I no longer could contact Mitch. That in itself was a first for me, though again it proved utterly nothing.

But as much as anything else, I was quite suspicious of two "live" photos of the buck, both of which turned up after the first story broke.

Mitch allegedly snapped one of the shots with his 35mm camera a few days before he said he killed the deer. The blurry photo showed the buck from the rear, with the head stuck out from behind a tree. A scent-dripper also was visible in the photo.

This is a classic fake "world record" typical. The anonymous person who sent it to our magazine in 1997 claimed the deer had been shot by his/her cousin and would net over 229 points, easily No. 1. Of course, there was no proof to back up the claim.
Hmmmmm. I could understand the photo being blurry - if I ever snap a photo of a live 216-inch typical while I'm hunting, that shot will be pretty shaky

too - but I simply felt I wasn't looking at a photo of a live deer. The shot had been taken from the only possible angle that would have allowed anyone to explain away the lack of a deer's body in the photo. My impression was that someone had set up a shoulder mount on the far side of a tree in order to shoot a photo for a scent-dripper ad. But I was told the shot hadn't being staged.

A year or so later I was at a hunting show, looking at a photo album in the booth of the manufacturer who'd originally told me about Mitch's pursuit of the deer. As I flipped through the pages, I came to an 8x10 color print that showed the buck from the front - bedded in the snow - this time with much of his body visible!

I asked the guy when that photo had been shot. He said in December 1997: roughly 11 months before Mitch claimed to have shot the deer.

Now this was really getting interesting. If the photo was of a live deer, it couldn't have been taken any later than early 1998 because of the snow. At the time of the reported kill (Nov. 13, 1998,) it hadn't snowed in that area all fall. Problem was, it looked to me that the rack on the live deer was a carbon copy of the one on the buck Mitch posed with in late 1998.

I feel safe in claiming that the rack on no whitetail buck is exactly the same two years in a row. But standing there, looking at that shot of the bedded deer, I satisfied myself that his rack and the one in the "kill" shot were indistinguishable. How could that be, unless the same rack had been moved from deer body to deer body for photo purposes?

If I'm right - and trust me, I looked over that photo pretty hard - I submit that this is as compelling an argument as any against Mitch's claims. Forget for a moment that it might be hard to slip up on a wild 216-inch typical in his bed and snap a photo of him. I'm told Mitch is a highly skilled woodsman, so for all I know, he was able to do just that. What I can't reconcile is that "1997" rack looking just like the one the deer grew the next year.

If Mitch did on two occasions slip into camera range of the biggest typical in history - both times while bow season was open, but without being able to actually kill the deer - I'm betting he snapped the shutter more than once each time. If that's the case, the photos I want to see are the ones that haven't been made available: those portraying the deer in motion. While the static photos I've seen could have been faked with ease, that wouldn't be true of even a blurry shot of the deer doing something.

Furthermore, it goes without saying that video footage of the live deer - which is actually far easier to get than a still photo, particularly in dim light - would have made Mitch's case infinitely stronger. Were such footage produced tomorrow, I'd have little choice but to conclude that the rack is real; without it, I'm left to wonder why the only photographic evidence of the "live" deer is of the type that's harder to get but easier to fake.

But suspicions are one thing, hard evidence something else. Lacking proof that the Rompola buck was bogus, I finally just moved on, as did many others in the outdoors media. It seemed there never would be any sort of closure to the story, because Mitch kept refusing to remove the clouds of doubt.

DID YOU KNOW?

Not all trophy alterations have involved whitetail racks. Nor have they always been discovered prior to certification. In fact, years ago an old "world record" pronghorn antelope was removed from atop the Boone and Crockett Club's rankings because the rack had been tampered with. Someone had used extra materials to build up the base of each horn, resulting in several exaggerated circumference measurements. X-rays revealed the alteration, and B&C promptly deleted the trophy from its records.

But in the end, he did make what I believe was a telling move. Milo Hanson's business associate, John Butler, grew weary of the unsubstantiated claims about "Michigan's new world record." Those claims were making it hard for John to book the Hanson buck display into hunting shows, because many show producers still assumed the Rompola buck was real - and bigger than Milo's certified record.

Finally, John gave Mitch's camp an ultimatum: Prove your deer is real or tell everyone operating on your behalf to quit calling him the "world-record typical." Faced with the threat of legal action, Mitch quickly signed a settlement in which he agreed not to enter his deer into B&C as long as Milo has the record. Nor, per the agreement, can Mitch refer to his rack as a "world record." He can't even publicly display it or a replica.

It's worth noting that Mitch received no money in return for signing away his right to enter the rack into B&C. This proves nothing, but I think it bolsters the claim that he didn't have a potential record to begin with.

Should all antlers, horns and skulls be X-rayed before being accepted into B&C, P&Y or any other record book, whether they're potentially No. 1 or not? Should those already in the book be subjected to this level of scrutiny as well, to make sure they're the real deal? If this were done, I'm sure we'd keep some shed/altered antlers out of the books, and we'd find that some have made it in already.

But there are tens of thousands of racks on one or more record lists, from B&C and P&Y on down to the state/provincial level. No way could we test - or even find - all of them. And even if we could, should we question the integrity of every hunter who signs off on his or her trophy as legitimate? Would polygraph testing be next? Although the honor system we now use doesn't always weed out the dishonorable, mandating lie-detector tests would seem onerous and potentially devastating to hunting's public image.

Full story here: https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... ors/264232

Fascinating
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:20 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
purebowhunting wrote:
Grizzlyadam wrote:I'm on the fence. Heard so much odd stuff around this buck. I recollect some rumor about a fire that may have burned them. Anyone remember that?

I did hear the original rack was destroyed in a fire, but seems to be a rumor, nothing I've seen supporting it.

Must have been a hot, hot fire.....highly doubt antler will turn to dust in a normal house fire

I meet a guy on a flight one time and we got to talking about hunting. He said he killed a huge deer on a paid hunt he was invited to go on. I don't remember the exact details about the hunt. I do remember the rack was like 190 inches or so and he said the shop where the buck was getting mounted burned down while the rack was there. All that was left was basically main beams from the brow tines down.

I searched the bowsite fourm a year or so ago and there is some post form mitch's son that says the rack was not destroyed in a fire they still have it.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:22 am

OK... I didn’t know all that. Im calling BS now :lol:
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:02 am

Troy Pottenger is a pretty credible guy in my opinion, and the new series in the podcast with him participating sheds a new light on Mitch. Troy credits him to really helping him and being a mentor when he didn’t have to be.

I could care less if the story is true, but there’s no doubt the guy is a straight KILLER...Charles Beaty (Prince of Poschers) is another example. Straight outlaw, trespassed for 30 years on huge ranches before being caught and killed 100’s of STUDS. You don’t have to agree with his morales or the way he did things, but he was at another level along with Mitch WAY BEFORE any of the technology existed. I’ll never be on that level so I’ll give credit where credit is due.
hounddog409
Facebook: Tod Simpkins

Unread postby hounddog409 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Lockdown wrote:Most of me believes Mitch. The other part of me can’t understand how he finds that many mega giants. Heck I just started that thread stating the hardest part (for me) of killing a big buck is finding one.

I think that’s what makes it so hard to believe. He was accomplishing all of this without any technology too. No google earth. No trail cams. Despite that I think it’s legit.

Despite that????

Do you honestly think you can't kill a big buck without technology?????
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 am

hounddog409 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Most of me believes Mitch. The other part of me can’t understand how he finds that many mega giants. Heck I just started that thread stating the hardest part (for me) of killing a big buck is finding one.

I think that’s what makes it so hard to believe. He was accomplishing all of this without any technology too. No google earth. No trail cams. Despite that I think it’s legit.

Despite that????

Do you honestly think you can't kill a big buck without technology?????

If I recall right - he said in one of his interviews that he went 5-6 years w/o killing a buck before killing a record. I have heard other record book holders say the same thing. I know of a few hunters that can get it done consistently w just a stick bow, no intel and kill the biggest buck.

I really didnt want to comment on this but I love the story. Real or fake, I will say that whoever approved the main picture deserves to be slapped. Maybe its Mitch himself but what a terrible picture to featured!! :lol:

Im trying to imagine this guy is planning to fake out the entire world w a fake deer and that picture is what gets presented centerfold? So hes not even going to try and hide it? Its odd bc in the recovery video he filmed I thought it looked normal.

There are pics of 40" wide spread deer and their antlers exit the skull the exact same way, so I believe the rack is real. Honestly the eye/bleeding ear makes me think of a head shot deer. The whole thing is odd bc its documented that a DNR agent saw it in person and touched it right?

Just a crazy story! Id honestly just love to hear that guy talk about whitetails.. There are many of us that are freaks about deer but very few can speak about them the way he does.
tdorf84

Unread postby tdorf84 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:56 am

BA-IV wrote:Troy Pottenger is a pretty credible guy in my opinion, and the new series in the podcast with him participating sheds a new light on Mitch. Troy credits him to really helping him and being a mentor when he didn’t have to be.

I could care less if the story is true, but there’s no doubt the guy is a straight KILLER...Charles Beaty (Prince of Poschers) is another example. Straight outlaw, trespassed for 30 years on huge ranches before being caught and killed 100’s of STUDS. You don’t have to agree with his morales or the way he did things, but he was at another level along with Mitch WAY BEFORE any of the technology existed. I’ll never be on that level so I’ll give credit where credit is due.

I mean I don't think any credit needs to be given to people killing a bunch of big deer illegally.
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:33 pm

tdorf84 wrote:
BA-IV wrote:Troy Pottenger is a pretty credible guy in my opinion, and the new series in the podcast with him participating sheds a new light on Mitch. Troy credits him to really helping him and being a mentor when he didn’t have to be.

I mean I don't think any credit needs to be given to people killing a bunch of big deer illegally.

I can understand that, and agree with it TO A POINT… but after it’s all said and done you could drop these guys anywhere and they would prolly still produce the biggest deer in the area. These guys are wired different plain and simple.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:38 pm

BA-IV wrote:
tdorf84 wrote:

I can understand that, and agree with it TO A POINT… but after it’s all said and done you could drop these guys anywhere and they would prolly still produce the biggest deer in the area. These guys are wired different plain and simple.

Restrict them to the current hunting laws and I bet they would be a whole lot less “successful”. Anybody can cheat and dramatically up their odds of killing a big buck especially when trespassing on prime land.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:43 pm

Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:
tdorf84 wrote:

Restrict them to the current hunting laws and I bet they would be a whole lot less “successful”. Anybody can cheat and dramatically up their odds of killing a big buck especially when trespassing on prime land.

You ain't gonna rattle up 100 bucks on public land
BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:11 pm

Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:
tdorf84 wrote:

So what about Mitch? You don’t think he’d be successful either?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:26 pm

BA-IV wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:
tdorf84 wrote:

So what about Mitch? You don’t think he’d be successful either?

We still don’t know if he killed any deer illegally so as it stands I absolutely think he could.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jun 27, 2021 1:28 pm

john1984 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
BA-IV wrote:
tdorf84 wrote:

You ain't gonna rattle up 100 bucks on public land

I was talking about trespassing on prime PRIVATE land.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”