Kansas Draw?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thwack16
500 Club

Re: Kansas Draw?

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:21 pm

Wow, safe to say draw odds are a good bit lower than usual. Now to decide whether to try a 2 point zone in IA or go with an old faithful otc.

KRoss480

Unread postby KRoss480 » Wed May 26, 2021 11:36 pm

Unsuccessful for me too. Time to start looking at other options.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu May 27, 2021 8:22 am

So a guy I know said his outfitter had 12 out of 16 not draw this year. They called the DNR, they said they had a record number of applicants but still a 90% success rate of drawing...... Judging by what I am hearing and what I see here it appears to be lower than that!!
Primetime41

Unread postby Primetime41 » Thu May 27, 2021 12:31 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what's hunting like in Kansas? It has all the ingredients to be great, and extremely low hunter numbers compared to most of the top whitetail states, but everything you read online is that it "sucks" now and there is a ton of pressure (I can't figure out how based on hunter #s). Is this just a case of hunters trying to keep new non-residents out?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu May 27, 2021 12:41 pm

Primetime41 wrote:Don't mean to hijack the thread, but what's hunting like in Kansas? It has all the ingredients to be great, and extremely low hunter numbers compared to most of the top whitetail states, but everything you read online is that it "sucks" now and there is a ton of pressure (I can't figure out how based on hunter #s). Is this just a case of hunters trying to keep new non-residents out?

In short, there are a decent number of non-resident tags and they’re allocated by different numbers per zone. That and there’s not a lot of public in KS, so the pieces that are open are probably hit hard-ish. I haven’t hunted there, but I can’t imagine the pressure is worse that southern WI, MI or PA. It’s all relative.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Thu May 27, 2021 2:22 pm

Come hang out in Colorado for 2nd or 3rd rifle. You’ll see some pressure. Applications went from 500,00 to 700,000 + this year. It’s awesome.
dusters

Unread postby dusters » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:44 pm

Pudster wrote:So a guy I know said his outfitter had 12 out of 16 not draw this year. They called the DNR, they said they had a record number of applicants but still a 90% success rate of drawing...... Judging by what I am hearing and what I see here it appears to be lower than that!!

Or the guys at the outfitter just had bad luck. I don't see any reason why DNR would lie about it.
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:08 pm

The draw odds do seem off. I can’t do better than 50% but many people have 10+ straight draws. It’s fine but I wish I could figure this out. And, I wonder why they don’t sell the turn in’s.
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:10 pm

dusters wrote:
Pudster wrote:So a guy I know said his outfitter had 12 out of 16 not draw this year. They called the DNR, they said they had a record number of applicants but still a 90% success rate of drawing...... Judging by what I am hearing and what I see here it appears to be lower than that!!

Or the guys at the outfitter just had bad luck. I don't see any reason why DNR would lie about it.

I do. Would you rather apply to a 70% draw state or a 90% draw..incentive to lie would be to keep record number of non resident applicants applying. Sure they give a refund but not 100%, you're paying some fees, get a preference point, the money from non draw non res adds up. From what I have seen it sure doesn't seem like 90% draw success. Doesn't even seem like it will be 100% to draw with 1 preference point either starting next year
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:34 pm

I think with one point it will be 100% draw next year but in years to come it will soon take 2 points or 3. Then the cost will go up to keep the number of people applying down. That way the state can maximize its income while minimizing how many points they give out. Maybe the state will wait until there is a lot of hunters with multiple points then raise the price cause they know people will pay the price. If this comes up on a search and some one is reading this years from now Kansas hunting sucks I would never hunt there.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:30 pm

Tribute80 wrote:I think with one point it will be 100% draw next year but in years to come it will soon take 2 points or 3. Then the cost will go up to keep the number of people applying down. That way the state can maximize its income while minimizing how many points they give out. Maybe the state will wait until there is a lot of hunters with multiple points then raise the price cause they know people will pay the price. If this comes up on a search and some one is reading this years from now Kansas hunting sucks I would never hunt there.

Why do you say that? Just curious
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Tribute80

Unread postby Tribute80 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:15 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Tribute80 wrote:I think with one point it will be 100% draw next year but in years to come it will soon take 2 points or 3. Then the cost will go up to keep the number of people applying down. That way the state can maximize its income while minimizing how many points they give out. Maybe the state will wait until there is a lot of hunters with multiple points then raise the price cause they know people will pay the price. If this comes up on a search and some one is reading this years from now Kansas hunting sucks I would never hunt there.

It was a joke. A shot at trying to decrease the number of applicants.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:57 am

Tribute80 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

It was a joke. A shot at trying to decrease the number of applicants.

:D :handgestures-thumbup:
----------
Usi05

Unread postby Usi05 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:52 pm

Any other unsuccessful applicants get money back yet?
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:07 pm

Usi05 wrote:Any other unsuccessful applicants get money back yet?

I have not

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”