Will he be back?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jrain904

Will he be back?

Unread postby jrain904 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:23 am

I stumbled upon a mature buck bedded on a mountain side overlooking an old mining road while hunting in WV last September. The bed was worn to the dirt and loaded with his scat. He could have his share of acorns and never leave the bed. I will be back to WV this September and am curious as to whether or not I should expect him to be using the same bed again. Thanks.

Country
500 Club

Re: Will he be back?

Unread postby Country » Wed May 05, 2021 4:29 am

jrain904 wrote:I stumbled upon a mature buck bedded on a mountain side overlooking an old mining road while hunting in WV last September. The bed was worn to the dirt and loaded with his scat. He could have his share of acorns and never leave the bed. I will be back to WV this September and am curious as to whether or not I should expect him to be using the same bed again. Thanks.

I know I'd be giving it a shot, especially considering it's the same time of year! Good luck!
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed May 05, 2021 4:38 am

I read some studies on bucks that were very interesting. In synopsis. Deer will die in there home range regardless if theres a flood, their going down with the ship. That buck has likely been there since it was a fawn and always will be. Also most folks use info from one years trail cameras to kill the same deer the next year. From what I’ve gathered, that’s exactly where he’ll be this year. Unless some habitat destruction has occurred to move his bedding.
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Wed May 05, 2021 5:17 am

If it was me I would like some sort of intel that he was still alive first. Are you able to set up a camera in the area to confirm proof of life? If so I would bet he will be in the area again, but acorns don't drop this year he may change it up a bit.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Wed May 05, 2021 6:13 am

I've had bucks leave a property when the farmers changed the crop types. Hope you get acorns this year.
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Wed May 05, 2021 6:34 am

A lot of factors can play into it. Assuming the surrounding conditions are similar this year, I would try to hunt that same spot, on the same date, with the same wind conditions this year if possible. Good luck!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:23 am

I did go back in November and the bed was not being used at the time.
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Thu May 06, 2021 4:40 am

jrain904 wrote:I did go back in November and the bed was not being used at the time.

I wouldn't let that bother me at all. By November he's miles away. Sounds like you've been to this spot at least twice, did you mark any trees to climb? If you did stay outta there till September and sneak up one of them and give it a try.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu May 06, 2021 4:48 am

He should unless:
there is a moderate to major terrain change (development, logging, fire, etc.)
Sudden Hunter pressure or predation
He's dead

I may be missing something else and Im sure there may be other factors- but that's the big 3 from my experience.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu May 06, 2021 5:59 am

I wouldn’t let it bother you that he wasn’t there in November. I don’t think any bucks hang in the same bedding all year. Maybe on a rare occasion...

If the oaks are producing again I’d say you have a strong chance of him being there. If they’re not, then who knows :think:
Maverick1

Unread postby Maverick1 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:29 am

MichiganMike wrote:He should unless:
He's dead

I may be missing something else and Im sure there may be other factors- but that's the big 3 from my experience.

Agree with most of your points. Even if he’s dead, though, I’d go back to that spot next season anyhow. There are likely several reasons why he was using that spot, and - even if he’s dead - another buck would likely use that same spot for those reasons.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No sponsors. No camera crew. No team. Just me and my bow. And that’s the way I prefer it.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Thu May 06, 2021 8:38 am

Maverick1 wrote:
MichiganMike wrote:He should unless:
He's dead

Agree with most of your points. Even if he’s dead, though, I’d go back to that spot next season anyhow. There are likely several reasons why he was using that spot, and - even if he’s dead - another buck would likely use that same spot for those reasons.

For sure. Its always a good thing to know how bucks will gravitate to a certain bedding area year after year. When you find those areas- you can just about punch your tag every year. Once November rolls around though- hes on to the does somewhere. so that's where you may need to relocate him.
jrain904

Unread postby jrain904 » Fri May 28, 2021 3:03 am

rfickes87 wrote:
jrain904 wrote:I did go back in November and the bed was not being used at the time.

I wouldn't let that bother me at all. By November he's miles away. Sounds like you've been to this spot at least twice, did you mark any trees to climb? If you did stay outta there till September and sneak up one of them and give it a try.

Where I hunt the mountains are all reclaimed land from coal mining, so the mountains have "levels". He was bedded between two levels. These levels create a nice "wall" to hide behind for sneaking. I have decided my best bet will be to crawl against the wall and then peak over the edge to see if he is there. I think I could wait until he got up to change positions and then try and hit him with my bow. I will make sure the wind/thermals are right. I think this beats hanging over his bed extremely early in the am or trying to hang over his exit trail for an eve hunt due to not knowing where is exit trail is.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Fri May 28, 2021 3:59 am

jrain904 wrote:
rfickes87 wrote:

Where I hunt the mountains are all reclaimed land from coal mining, so the mountains have "levels". He was bedded between two levels. These levels create a nice "wall" to hide behind for sneaking. I have decided my best bet will be to crawl against the wall and then peak over the edge to see if he is there. I think I could wait until he got up to change positions and then try and hit him with my bow. I will make sure the wind/thermals are right. I think this beats hanging over his bed extremely early in the am or trying to hang over his exit trail for an eve hunt due to not knowing where is exit trail is.

Good plan. Consider using a little rain, wet ground or possibly a strong wind day. Makes him more vulnerable and less chance of a stray noise spooking him out.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”