Please comment - Montana changes to non-resident license allocation

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampbuck

Re: Please comment - Montana changes to non-resident license allocation

Unread postby Swampbuck » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:46 pm

RidgeGhost wrote:
Swampbuck wrote:I saw this and I don't care for it for selfish reasons. But I'm guessing the OOS hunting numbers are steadily increasing so to keep the money coming in, yet limit the numbers in the woods they are proposing this. Keeping outfitters off the public land probably wouldn't change things so its either this or just limiting tags overall. They probably figure this provides more money overall to the state and it'll also probably reduce pressure overall. I was going to write them about it when I first saw it but I understand it from that standpoint. I would like to understand the rationale though to determine if its for conservation/hunting quality or politics.

They already limit the number of tags and the state has huge amounts of public land so the hunting should be more spread out compared to what we see in eastern states.

I'll admit I dont fully understand the motivation behind the proposal, but I do understand that my draw odds hit the dirt if it passes. And I refuse to go guided as long as I'm able bodied enough to do my own thing.

Agreed, the pressure seemed higher this year so I was wondering if that played in but the more I think about it the more it seems political. Im in a couple FB groups there and they are ripping it so if the locals are against it too thats enough for me. I'll write them tomorrow

Make It Happen
RiverBottoms
500 Club

Re: Please comment - Montana changes to non-resident license allocation

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:08 pm

Sailfish_WC wrote:
JakeB wrote:The western states could solve all of their issues if they banned outfitters from operating on public lands. The AZ trail cam ban is from outfitters, the Montana issue, Wyoming not letting non res in wilderness without a guide. Outfitter camps in OTC Colorado units, New Mexico outfitter draw. It’s all outfitter welfare. And while it may not affect guys hunting in their own state, it does affect them when they go OOS. It’s like no one wants to address it.

Well it will affect in staters

What will happen is the large tracts of private land will now get bought (leased) by the big outfits. Thus reducing overall land availability to the locals, sending them to the already crowded state property.

This isn’t just about the greedy outfitters.
Look to your elected state officials who will be approving this.

Also, do you wonder why/how this got on the docket so fast and only have a couple days for public comments/input??

Hmmmm who is makin the $$$ here?

Very true, land access is an issue already out west. The locals tend not to be fans of big outfits that buy/lease land for big $$$. I wonder if there are even enough guides to handle ~10k hunt bookings every fall anyway.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”