To the beasts who didn’t get the buck

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tim
500 Club

Re: To the beasts who didn’t get the buck

Unread postby tim » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:30 pm

Not sure this post is just for guys that didn’t get their buck. I got my buck but for me I instantly go into next buck mode! My wife asked me a while back why I never go in my “deer room”, all those deer and you never even look at them lol . She was right I don’t , I’m always plotting and planning for the next buck . I guess that’s just not me I’m more concerned about figuring out the next target then I am about enjoying past success. I’m my own worst critic so if I don’t succeed on a target buck I’m after it is a failure to me personally now I’m sure I will learn valuable knowledge along the way and the fact that I get to continue the chase is never a failure. Some of the worst failures become my best accomplishments. This years buck made a fool out of me the last 2 years at 3 and 4 years old. I wouldn’t have killed him at 3 but he still busted me so I felt he won .if their Werentvso many “failures” in hunting I’m not sure the success would be so sweet.

BA-IV

Unread postby BA-IV » Fri Jan 15, 2021 1:01 am

I killed one of my public land dream bucks this year in my home state, but this post hits home because I’ve been to the Midwest three years and have not brought a buck home. I see plenty of deer, and even messed up the first two years by not really being I tune with my equipment and missing a good one. Definitely my fault, learned and moved on. Fast forward to this year and I saw a few shooters just out of range and it was HOT, but it’s a confidence killer nonetheless to come home empty handed. This is a great read for me and puts it in perspective.
littlebuckhunter

Unread postby littlebuckhunter » Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:40 pm

Did you have fun and enjoy yourself? If yes, that’s all that matters.

I’d be lying if I said tagging a big buck doesn’t make the season better. A lot of effort and time to eat that buck tag. It’s natural to feel a little disappointed.

If you’re going years without punching a tag, lower your expectations and let an arrow fly.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”