2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 11, 2021 10:35 am

Jsmitty3 wrote:Does anybody have experience with an over abundance of deer I have this property I’ve been working on just got permission in November last year that literally has deer bedding every ten feet it seems and they are not skiddish at all. I’m used to hunting lots of property with very few deer. Would you recommend just hunting the edges or pushing in I can literally get within 10 feet of most of the deer it’s unlike anything I’ve dealt with.

Sounds like a great problem to have! :lol:

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:18 am

Yes I’m by no means complaining I’ve just never dealt with anything close to this as far as deer numbers and how tame they are I’m from se Wisconsin super high pressure area I was just curious if anybody had any insight on how to attack the property
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 11, 2021 11:34 am

Jsmitty3 wrote:Yes I’m by no means complaining I’ve just never dealt with anything close to this as far as deer numbers and how tame they are I’m from se Wisconsin super high pressure area I was just curious if anybody had any insight on how to attack the property

I’m from SE WI and that’s nothing I ever experienced. :D

But I would say maybe hang a cell cam or two in what looks like good travel corridors for inventory. Then do some observation sits in areas where they are used to human activity. In other words, keep your scent where the deer expect it and let your observations from afar dictate what you do when it comes to hunting season. Keep those deer feeling relaxed and unpressured as much as possible.

That’s just my uneducated opinion...
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Tue May 11, 2021 11:56 am

Yeah that is my general plan so far I’m also trying to make trails now to get them Moving in the general way I want them too and trying to make a few deadend access trails where I think I want some Prehung setups. My gut tells me I’ll be able to push my luck more than usual. I am thinking come rut it may be a pretty wild ride. I think some cell cameras will be very handy and the farmer planted beans so I’ll be able to glass at least part of the fields I guess the only way to really know is just to hunt it for a couple years I can’t wait for September
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 11, 2021 1:25 pm

Jsmitty3 wrote:Yeah that is my general plan so far I’m also trying to make trails now to get them Moving in the general way I want them too and trying to make a few deadend access trails where I think I want some Prehung setups. My gut tells me I’ll be able to push my luck more than usual. I am thinking come rut it may be a pretty wild ride. I think some cell cameras will be very handy and the farmer planted beans so I’ll be able to glass at least part of the fields I guess the only way to really know is just to hunt it for a couple years I can’t wait for September

I would also add to pick what you guess what the best bedding might be and scout them in the near future. Sooner the better to know what you’re working with.
----------
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Tue May 11, 2021 2:02 pm

Another thing that I’m trying to figure out is where a big one is gonna push a hot doe to get her away from the rest of the deer the things that keep me up at night lol. I have keyed in on some of the best bedding areas and I’m hoping that my trail system kinda lays out the framework for consistent exit trails it’s a technique I’m playing with it has seemed to be somewhat effective for me so far
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed May 19, 2021 2:33 am

Made it out on Sunday and got another tree prepped. Super solid spot that should be good for opening weekend as long as the food source puts them in that bedding. Super thick back there. Then I checked the island that I suspected to be great bedding, but it was a big let down. It’s good bedding but looks the same as everything else back there.

I also hung a cam that’s basically 1’ on to the private I have permission for, so I’m hoping someone doesn’t take it. $28 Tasco so not a huge deal.

I went for a cruise at dusk. A couple weeks ago the deer were all over the green fields. Alfalfa and winter wheat. Sunday they were gone... I saw a few but it’s apparent that browse is readily available everywhere and the deer are very spread out. Most fields are black yet so it will be a bit before soybeans are a destination. Seems like once the grasses and leaves turn from fresh spring growth to mature that’s when they really make the switch.

I have yet to definitively lay eyes on a buck and it’s bugging me! Can’t wait to watch them grow. In years past I’ve waited until July to go summer glassing but I’m chomping at the bit.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 19, 2021 12:34 pm

How's this for a track?

1423.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
E72
500 Club

Unread postby E72 » Thu May 20, 2021 12:54 am

greenhorndave wrote:How's this for a track?

1423.jpg

I like it !
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Jun 01, 2021 3:54 pm

Made a loop in my new area tonight. I was pretty blown away by the numbers!! 32 deer in 20 miles which is not what I was expecting.

It’s usually doe lottery though, so that means the bucks get hammered. (It’s a one deer zone, everyone gets a buck tag, you have to draw a doe tag). I did finally see my first antlered bucks of the year though. :dance: Best part was I think they worked their way down a drainage system and came out of the bedding where my ground set is.

Each one had 3-4” of antler. They looked to be 2 yr olds to me. There’s gotta be something bigger around. I’m hoping to come across that floppy eared buck that I bumped while scouting this spring. It would be super cool if he’s a nice shooter and I can locate him. His body was noticeably bigger than the does, and there was a fresh 3 finger track in there.

I don’t think I’ve ever been this excited for summer time velvet bucks!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:26 am

Same here LD. Was turkey hunting in this place that’s new to me and there were piles of deer. Saw a velvet buck on the hoof just before sunrise and he left behind a 3.5 finger track too that was as fresh as you can get. That property has a lot of nasty in it in terms of marsh, so it’s fascinating to me. Wish I had scouted it a few months ago, but maybe I’ll drop a cam in to see what’s up.
----------
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:35 am

Jsmitty3 wrote:Another thing that I’m trying to figure out is where a big one is gonna push a hot doe to get her away from the rest of the deer the things that keep me up at night lol. I have keyed in on some of the best bedding areas and I’m hoping that my trail system kinda lays out the framework for consistent exit trails it’s a technique I’m playing with it has seemed to be somewhat effective for me so far

If you’ve identified doe bedding and super beat down trails, bucks will be on those, on an unpressured private property. What state is this? My experience in the South is as the days get longer in the summer and the deer are unpressured they relax and it seems like they dont care. Come hunting season the same deer I was literally waving to go away as scouting are not as relaxed. Getting annoyed by young bucks running em pre rut and minor hunting pressure. Also relaxed deer dont mean relaxed mature buck.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:56 pm

Located a bachelor group tonight. One buck is big enough he’s already starting to fork at his g2. I think. I didn’t get a good look because I was parked on the shoulder of a busy highway and didn’t want to draw attention. That’s the only place you can see them from. I want to say he was with two 2 yr olds and a yearling.

I think they were bedded on public but not 100% sure. Going to have to camp out to try and get more intel.

Grass/pastures and CRP fields are the hot food source right now. Those bucks marched right across a bean field to get to the CRP.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:48 pm

What. A. Night!!

I definitely set a record for deer sightings. Saw over 100 for sure. (Short corn helps a ton). Best part was I saw 3, possibly 4 wall hangers. 2 were likely not killable as they were a couple miles from the nearest public, but you never know. Luck happens ;) The other two are public bucks 8-)

I have went entire summers without seeing that many big bucks. So to say I’m excited is an understatement. We had lots of doe tags cut during the 2017 season in western MN, then boat loads of corn left in the field in 2018. The combination of the two has made a significant difference.

Is it September yet?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:13 am

Checked the apple tree cam for the drop tine last night. Got a potential shooter on the card but I don’t think it’s him. Hard to say. He does have a messed up antler though... anyone know if a backstrap shot will effect antler growth like leg injuries do? I thought it had to be a bone injury to cause that but I’m not sure.

Then I glassed two of my spots. Plenty of does and little bucks but nothing mature was spotted. Best buck looked like he was going to be 110” class. Nice deer but not what I’m looking for.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”