2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

muddy

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:50 am

Lockdown wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:Man Lockdown we're getting into some awesome looking spots. Just curious, how many prepped treestand sets and ground sets do like to head into the season with? I'm talking about total so new and old ones?

The more the better. There’s no such thing as too many options. I think the most ground blinds and stands I’ve had hunt ready once green up hit was 27. Most of those were new. I maybe hunted half of them that season :think:

The funny part is I often end up in impromptu spots. I’ve found that bedding areas constantly change year to year and through out the season. It’s impossible to be prepared for everything.

Not sure how many I’ve set up this year. Would have to go through my scouting journal.

Couple dandy looking spots. When I find these places I always make note of as many likely trees in the area as possible. Seems like deer "float" around those areas fall to fall.

I wonder if those tall rubs are actually a big buck pushing a tree over and creeping up telhe trunk? Years ago I watched a good buck do this, the rub was chest/chin high on me and I'm over 6foot. He had that poor tree bent the heck over as he worked it.

http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:07 am

muddy wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
BRoth82 wrote:Man Lockdown we're getting into some awesome looking spots. Just curious, how many prepped treestand sets and ground sets do like to head into the season with? I'm talking about total so new and old ones?

The more the better. There’s no such thing as too many options. I think the most ground blinds and stands I’ve had hunt ready once green up hit was 27. Most of those were new. I maybe hunted half of them that season :think:

The funny part is I often end up in impromptu spots. I’ve found that bedding areas constantly change year to year and through out the season. It’s impossible to be prepared for everything.

Not sure how many I’ve set up this year. Would have to go through my scouting journal.

Couple dandy looking spots. When I find these places I always make note of as many likely trees in the area as possible. Seems like deer "float" around those areas fall to fall.

I wonder if those tall rubs are actually a big buck pushing a tree over and creeping up telhe trunk? Years ago I watched a good buck do this, the rub was chest/chin high on me and I'm over 6foot. He had that poor tree bent the heck over as he worked it.

Now you’ve got me thinking. I did notice that almost all of his rubs were on fairly slim trees. But I’m not sure they were small enough to push them over like you described. :think: He was definitely using some muscle on them though. I saw two different shrubs that had a deep V and he split them. One was broken clean off and the other split the trunk half way to the ground. :shock:

I really hope this buck made it but I’m not holding my breath. Saw 4 trucks on the east side of this property one evening during muzzy season. It gets pounded during both gun seasons.

If he made it I will know. I picked the perfect observation tree for his bedding.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:28 am

Lockdown wrote:
muddy wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Now you’ve got me thinking. I did notice that almost all of his rubs were on fairly slim trees. But I’m not sure they were small enough to push them over like you described. :think: He was definitely using some muscle on them though. I saw two different shrubs that had a deep V and he split them. One was broken clean off and the other split the trunk half way to the ground. :shock:

I really hope this buck made it but I’m not holding my breath. Saw 4 trucks on the east side of this property one evening during muzzy season. It gets pounded during both gun seasons.

If he made it I will know. I picked the perfect observation tree for his bedding.

Even if he's not able to bend them all the way over he could be getting it far enough to make his way up higher on the tree. A buck that is sexually frustrated, has a good tree, and some spare time can really do some damage if they want to. Dont get me wrong, it sounds like there is/was a big booger up in there.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:32 am

muddy wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
muddy wrote:
Lockdown wrote:

Even if he's not able to bend them all the way over he could be getting it far enough to make his way up higher on the tree. A buck that is sexually frustrated, has a good tree, and some spare time can really do some damage if they want to. Dont get me wrong, it sounds like there is/was a big booger up in there.

Saw elk bend trees over all the time like mentioned. Even partially uprooting them sometimes. Leaving behind some really tall looking rubs with lots of scarring to the tree. But how far the little nicks were above the main rub. Still helped tell how big the bull's rack was.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
bennymj171

Unread postby bennymj171 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:24 am

Hit 3 different pieces of public yesterday and found lots of beds, scrapes, rubs and sheds from 3 different bucks. This beast hunting has lit a flame under my but, I’m loving this style of hunting. One of the bedding areas sets up right next to the road, this could be night bedding since it is right across the road from a corn field but it does have decent enough cover and escape routes that I would think they are there in day too. Crazy how they will bed right next to the road if they are unmolested, this is the second one I have found this week where the bedding is closest to the road.
17E65C20-4020-4640-8EE1-89CAC029518B.jpeg
5CBEF23E-1362-4BC9-B0F6-8DDBA54FCDC8.jpeg
D8976973-02FF-43F2-BAEF-57BA246821AF.jpeg
694816ED-D9E3-40F8-ACBE-4154E39B17C0.jpeg
7FF8E70C-7C35-4180-B60C-408168AD96FC.jpeg
ED2C2B09-46D5-45DF-AE76-588B9932B0DD.jpeg
8C173AB7-0130-4F4D-B33B-B12778B23242.jpeg
E557EF47-CDF6-4936-8A7C-9E8926944814.jpeg
31689474-DA4F-4FA9-9C96-1774AE41F6C1.jpeg
F653878F-4E66-4A59-9162-0B902E6DD063.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coalcracker

Unread postby Coalcracker » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:29 am

Been hitting it pretty good here in Pa. Scouted a "new" place the past two weeks. I now have (6) pieces of public with one to two specific areas of focus plus two pieces of private for 2021. I'm considering another piece of public to scout which would give me a total of (9) hunting areas.

Is this too much in your opinion? Is it too few? All pieces are within 20 minutes drive from my home. I'm very fortunate to live in a rural County.

The plan is to "hit and run". Scout/hunt my way into the specific areas looking for recent sign. Find big buck sign and start hunting, don't find big buck sign move to next location. To do this I've been scouting hard and able to find traditional rubbing locations. Spots that appear to be "staging" locations which get rubbed up very consistently year after year. Most of them are in relatively open areas, places I believe being used at night but its good confirmation sign of big bucks.

Anyone else use this approach when you have a bunch of areas to choose from?

Couple pics of rubs I found from this past season in two different "staging" areas. I'm 6' tall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shoot Straight
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:15 am

Had about 6 or 7 new ground blind spots marked I was going to start setting up in Cattails only to show up yesterday ready to go to find the entire swamp on fire (controlled burn).

All the heavy well established doe bedding along with the faint, well hidden buck beds I found out there in head high cattails are now burned right down to the ground. Guess ill have to wait till midsummer to get out there and set up some likely ambush spots for next fall. At least I was able to get out there and cover almost every bit of that swamp I wanted to after watching deer move about in it at will from my observation sits from the adjoining ridge where they seem to never be caught dead close to during legal shooting light.

Just reason #100 to have several different areas to hunt in.
MoonBuck

Unread postby MoonBuck » Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:36 am

Found an oxbow on public a couple of days ago that looks money. Loaded with rubs that appear to be from early season & rut last year. It makes sense as access to this isn't great during the warmer months until everything freezes over. And then your seeing a ton of snowmobilers fly through the area which I think is what drives the deer away during late season. Anyway, a couple of the rubs were just massive. Here is one that was at chest height of me, probably just over 5' off the ground. Cool to see too what Dan has mentioned about the largest beds being near the end, right next to the river. Really starting to make sense on which direction they are facing, wind at their back, looking out over the field to see if anyone comes in, but smelling whats behind them and a simple hop, skip and a jump over the river if someone comes up the oxbow.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:43 am

I hit the hills last week, scouting a few different properties. Found some good looking stuff, hopefully I will get a chance to hunt it.

View from a bed on a logging road.

Screenshot_20210402-113549_Gallery.jpg

I was finding a ton of scrapes full of hair :lol:

Screenshot_20210402-113042_onX Hunt.jpg

This scrape should be good, it's at the intersection of two finger ridges with good bedding. The only wildcard is unknown pressure.

Screenshot_20210402-112727_onX Hunt.jpg
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:46 am

Did a deer bed here?

Screenshot_20210402-112826_onX Hunt.jpg

Rub

Screenshot_20210402-112953_onX Hunt.jpg
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:56 am

Scrape and rubs on a phenomenal bedding point.

Screenshot_20210402-114829_onX Hunt.jpg

Screenshot_20210402-114812_onX Hunt.jpg

The best setup on the ridge is a set of 3 scrapes about 100 yards away from the bedding point on a logging road.

A few random rubs and scrapes from the trip.

Screenshot_20210402-115309_onX Hunt.jpg
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sat Apr 03, 2021 2:03 pm

Had a couple hours to burn today so I scouted a new piece of public. Found 3 different bedding areas. One in some thick covver along a lake edge, one on a small island in the marsh, and another in a bowl with alot of dogwood and small trees. Now I'll have to go back and plan setups when I have more time. The first two I have a feeling were mostly doe bedding areas, but the ones in the bowl had some buck sign there.
20210402_143948.jpg

20210402_152810.jpg
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:05 pm

Hookslinger wrote:Had a couple hours to burn today so I scouted a new piece of public. Found 3 different bedding areas. One in some thick covver along a lake edge, one on a small island in the marsh, and another in a bowl with alot of dogwood and small trees. Now I'll have to go back and plan setups when I have more time. The first two I have a feeling were mostly doe bedding areas, but the ones in the bowl had some buck sign there.
20210402_143948.jpg
20210402_152810.jpg

That’s a sweet looking bed! They love when there’s a little “roof” on it for shade.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:57 pm

Snuck out after work quick. 1 hr, 1.2 miles at an easy access spot that I’ve always wondered about. The trails looked better than expected, but a lot of the property didn’t have much for bedding or buck sign. This is a prime pheasant spot too... jumped 4 of them. So it’s not high on the priority list, but I did find a bedding area that has me curious.

I saw a bit of a tangle near the mouth of a river oxbow that I was targeting and sure enough 3 deer took off when I got close 8-)

It went from fairly open forest to strait wall of willows, vines, and canary grass. They were bedded near the downwind edge of the thick watching the open toward the river. Didn’t take long to find a nice bed which is similar to hookslinger’s with a canopy/roof above it. First pic is when I first saw it from a ways away.

Here you can see the actual bed.

There were quite a few beds and some were pretty worn. Legit doe bedding at a minimum. I searched the area very thoroughly and saw no big buck sign. No rubs at all. Then on the back side I finally came across a cluster of scrapes and one very small rub. It struck me as a staging area.

This bedding is right next to a field edge and it would make perfect sense that a smart buck would swing down wind of everything (on the back side of bedding) before exposing himself in the open. Or it’s a spot that could pan out during rut.

I formulated a plan for the backside trails over those scrapes. It’s as close to bedding as I can get.

I can approach from down wind and sneak right in to that clump of brush. Perfect little ground set and I can actually shoot without trimming a single twig and that never happens lol.

I’m not banking on hunting here, but this is a spot that I can check fairly frequently. If a big buck shows in this area then this bedding has very good potential. The lack of buck sign would send most people packing but my gut says to keep it on my radar. I know of a mounter that got shot on private less than a mile from there 3-4 years ago.

So the area itself is capable of growing some good ones.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:13 am

Lockdown wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:Had a couple hours to burn today so I scouted a new piece of public. Found 3 different bedding areas. One in some thick covver along a lake edge, one on a small island in the marsh, and another in a bowl with alot of dogwood and small trees. Now I'll have to go back and plan setups when I have more time. The first two I have a feeling were mostly doe bedding areas, but the ones in the bowl had some buck sign there.
20210402_143948.jpg
20210402_152810.jpg

That’s a sweet looking bed! They love when there’s a little “roof” on it for shade.

Yeah I jist started picking up on that roof thing. Its my second year scouting after finding the Beast, and now I'm starting to be able to consistently find beds in areas that I pick out from cyber scouting (not all the time but most of the time). Whats giving me a headache this year now is planning and prepping the set ups, and trying to distinguish whether or not a bedding area that I find will hold a mature buck or not. I've about given myself a nose bleed out there trying to pick what tree to hunt from. Looks like your making some good progress in your scouting as well!

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”