2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:47 am

Hookslinger wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Hookslinger wrote:Had a couple hours to burn today so I scouted a new piece of public. Found 3 different bedding areas. One in some thick covver along a lake edge, one on a small island in the marsh, and another in a bowl with alot of dogwood and small trees. Now I'll have to go back and plan setups when I have more time. The first two I have a feeling were mostly doe bedding areas, but the ones in the bowl had some buck sign there.
20210402_143948.jpg
20210402_152810.jpg

That’s a sweet looking bed! They love when there’s a little “roof” on it for shade.

Yeah I jist started picking up on that roof thing. Its my second year scouting after finding the Beast, and now I'm starting to be able to consistently find beds in areas that I pick out from cyber scouting (not all the time but most of the time). Whats giving me a headache this year now is planning and prepping the set ups, and trying to distinguish whether or not a bedding area that I find will hold a mature buck or not. I've about given myself a nose bleed out there trying to pick what tree to hunt from. Looks like your making some good progress in your scouting as well!

I’m having a good spring for sure.

As far as whether a bedding area will hold a mature buck or not, that’s where hot sign comes in. Finding bedding is the easy part, the “when is he here?” is tough. All I need to see are big tracks near known bedding and I’m all in.

Just don’t guess when the right time to hunt a bedding area is. You won’t have good results. Ask me how I know :shifty:

It takes a few years to get good with the tactics. Keep grinding and make hot sign a priority. And make learning a priority. You’ll get there!

And lastly when it comes to picking kill sets, that takes time too. My first mature buck encounter as a beast was pretty comical. He came from the opposite direction I was expecting :whistle: and the only reason I didn’t get winded was because the wind completely died. :lol: but that encounter was a huge confidence boost. I had a daylight encounter with a mature buck on public during the lull.

Like Stanley said “You don’t have to be the best, just do your best.” ;)

Bigburner

Unread postby Bigburner » Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:47 am

New part of a public piece I hunted last season. Way in the swamp finding out how they bed in here.
C6C689C8-52BC-458F-B5EA-ED5147802FA2.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:41 am

Had 41 hours in as of noon yesterday so I hit the woods :dance:

I explored a part of one of my main stay properties that I’d never checked out before, and as expected it wasn’t all that great, but you never know unless you look. Found multiple bedding areas, but none that I felt needed to be concentrated on. No exceptional doe bedding, no big buck sign.

I went back and prepped the ground blind I picked out last time, and planned an access route. Kicked 4 deer out of that area. When I first decided I needed to hunt that bedding with a SE wind, it didn’t look possible. The ground set I picked will work but it’s going to be a white knuckled hunt. Once I found that I figured access would be a major issue, but I did find a route that will get me in fairly clean. I’m exposed for a few short moments but it’s that or nothing.

From there I headed to the opposite end of the property but the ankle deep drainage ditch was now over my hip boots with all the rain we’ve had. I didn’t feel like swamping them so headed to a small parcel a mile away that I’ve always wanted to check out.

I bumped a bunch of deer out of there. It strikes me as excellent doe bedding. Didn’t find much big buck sign, though... so the jury is out on that yet. Found lots of beds, quite a few showed some wear. Kicked multiple deer out of there.

I picked out a few different kill trees in case I need to fill a management tag. The best bedding I found had some small new rubs in it, and a couple nicer old ones. I’m thinking it might be rut bedding :think: regardless it had some sweet looking beds. Dry hump next to open water in the cattails.

Put 9 more miles on hip boots ;)

BRoth you asked a while back how many sets I’ve prepped. I got curious as well so I tallied them up. This makes ten new sets for 2021. I’ve got another 20+ trees and ground sets picked that aren’t hunt ready. Some I may use for an impromptu hunt this fall, some will be prepped in the future, and I’m guessing over half will never get hunted.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:55 am

Been eyeing a piece all winter. Finally walked a huge chunk of it but also couldn’t access other spots because the creek was so high and my waders were in the truck...regardless, I found some great early season beds and a great spot for the rut. Didn’t take pictures of the waist high rubs but did of the bed. The tree I picked out is only 46 yards away. Will have to try it on a windy day.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:38 pm

Did a little hiking today after most of the day was raining. I can confirm the idea that sheds are easier to spot when wet.
Not a big one but he made it through for next year. But came across a dead buck also. Decent 9 point.
IMG_20210410_181041048.jpg

Found him in a hilly bowl where he probably felt safe. It appears dropping thermals would end up at that point.
The section is overlooked. And a parking lot hunt. Glad I went out there before woods thicken up for the year. Even when I don't find anything I am glad to be out.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:44 am

Went and scouted a oak island yesterday.. That I hunted third week of bow this last year had lots of sign on it early poop tracks some early scrapes but not deer... Seen a big track comeing from suspected bedding during muzzleloader.. so went and scouted the bedding wet as heck to get in but back side of island was all dry sawgrass.. bedding was very spread out but was some big beds within 200 yards of island... Thinking could be good observation sits to see what is really going on since I'm not thinking they are hitting that island till after dark just seeing how far the buck beds were off the island...
IMG_20210410_101625432_HDR.jpg

It's always nice to when you try to jump ditch and miss..
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:58 am

Set my alarm and got up early this morning. Was in the woods by 8:00. Went back to prep a couple trees at the riverbottom I checked out a few weeks back. Only bumped one deer that I know of but it was in the bedding I’m targeting.

I’ve got one setup for a SE wind, and one for a NW wind. Wind will be one or the other about 75% of the time.

I’m heavily leaning towards this being doe bedding, but it’s hard to say for sure. I’m in an area where rubs are fairly scarce whether you’re in good bedding or not. It’s got a few rubs in it, and the beds look really good. And big too. But that could just be from consistent use :think: So these sets are excellent rut set ups at a minimum. I’ll figure the rest out later. Summer scouting will help decipher things.

River just so happens to pinch them down by this bedding. I can cover most of the movement through there from either stand. The bedding is a super thick patch of briars right on the field edge. Im going 5 sticks up on the field edge set. If I get a stiff breeze my scent should blow right over top of them if they take the field edge itself. That’s the only downwind trail for that set.

Most of the beds are on the briar/ash tree transition. In order to cover this bedding adequately I had to set up right on top of them. So both of these spots are morning only sets.

Quick 3 mile morning. But feels good to get a couple more spots prepped! Hoping to make it out tomorrow afternoon as well.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:39 pm

Went to a place that I've scratched the surface of to get more intel. Got some, but I still don't feel like I have a good picture of it yet. Hit the spots the aerials looked good, but the cover wasn't as good as I was thinking. Some good sign, saw some turkeys, found a hanging shed and it was beautiful day, but I don't feel like I have the bedding puzzle figured out yet. So I have to decide how much I want to sock into this spot.

(For frame of reference, the rub pic were taken with the camera at waist height)

1411.jpg

1411 (1).jpg

1411 (2).jpg

1410.jpg
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:09 am

I'm nearing the end of my "spring" scouting. I need to refine a few of the public land spots I found, and do some tree prep on private. Plus I just got permission on a new piece too, its 12 acres that dumps off into a huge public marsh, I'm going to check that out this week, could be good! I'll have somewhere around 25 set ups this season, and thats a huge step in the right direction for me.

I have posion ivy (or oak or sumac) in all the wrong places, but I've had a blast and learned a ton.
Schoeppeya

Unread postby Schoeppeya » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:35 am

IMG_2418.jpg

Found this today while scouting today after kicking a deer out of his bedroom. Think I added another target to the list. I am 6'4" with big hands, for reference.
IMG_2427.PNG

There were close to a dozen different beds with hair in them towards the tip of the point where the "x" markers are with a very well used trail going up to the tree stand icons... one of those treestands is what I believe is the primary scrape coming out of the beds and the other tree stand marker above that is the bed I believe he was in today... there was a ton of white hair in this one.

Although the bulk of the beds were towards the tip of the point above where it quickly dropped into the bottom, it looks like those hadn't been used as recently as the bed higher up-a lot of them were in locations that were great spots to stay out of the wind and be in the sun while the leaves were off, so in my wind, colder weather beds. So here is my question for you hill country guys... for your first sit, would you look to be further up the point than the bed he was in today even though it was 100 yards or so from the bulk of the beds?
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm

Had an interesting day. Started off by stepping onto what I thought was a patch of grass and ended up being a muck pit. I had to choose between my hip boot or staying there a looooong time. So long hip boot.

1412.jpg

So I made the one-booted walk back to the parking lot, threw on my other pair of boots and kept going. Walked about 3 miles but wasn't impressed with what I found. Lots of doe sign to keep in mind and watched a doe feed in the meadow at midday, but no great buck sign.

Had time so hit a spot I wanted to hunt last year but there was a truck. I probably should have went in, but I didn't know the place well enough. I hit a lot of what I wanted to on aerials and still wasn't happy. The transitions were fabulous but no good buck sign. I was disappointed, then it all literally turned the corner when I turned the corner. Lots of rubs, some excellent and one that was amazing. From mid-thigh to collarbone and I'm 6-1. I think I have a way to hunt it and a time in mind. There was human sign on the property but nothing where the good stuff was. Had a couple of unseen deer walk in on me when my back was turned. Another good sign.

The day started as a mess and ended with the spot I'm most excited about for pre-rut. A fun day.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 12:38 am

Lockdown wrote:Had 41 hours in as of noon yesterday so I hit the woods :dance:

I explored a part of one of my main stay properties that I’d never checked out before, and as expected it wasn’t all that great, but you never know unless you look. Found multiple bedding areas, but none that I felt needed to be concentrated on. No exceptional doe bedding, no big buck sign.

I went back and prepped the ground blind I picked out last time, and planned an access route. Kicked 4 deer out of that area. When I first decided I needed to hunt that bedding with a SE wind, it didn’t look possible. The ground set I picked will work but it’s going to be a white knuckled hunt. Once I found that I figured access would be a major issue, but I did find a route that will get me in fairly clean. I’m exposed for a few short moments but it’s that or nothing.

From there I headed to the opposite end of the property but the ankle deep drainage ditch was now over my hip boots with all the rain we’ve had. I didn’t feel like swamping them so headed to a small parcel a mile away that I’ve always wanted to check out.

I bumped a bunch of deer out of there. It strikes me as excellent doe bedding. Didn’t find much big buck sign, though... so the jury is out on that yet. Found lots of beds, quite a few showed some wear. Kicked multiple deer out of there.

I picked out a few different kill trees in case I need to fill a management tag. The best bedding I found had some small new rubs in it, and a couple nicer old ones. I’m thinking it might be rut bedding :think: regardless it had some sweet looking beds. Dry hump next to open water in the cattails.

BRoth you asked a while back how many sets I’ve prepped. I got curious as well so I tallied them up. This makes ten new sets for 2021. I’ve got another 20+ trees and ground sets picked that aren’t hunt ready. Some I may use for an impromptu hunt this fall, some will be prepped in the future, and I’m guessing over half will never get hunted.

When you first go out to a property and find a good tree set that you want to prep are you trimming anything during that first time or just picking a entrance route and marking the tree? Then going back and doing the final prep work with your stand and sticks?

For the ground sets I'm guessing those you can do right away or do you come back and prep those at a later time.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:13 am

BRoth82 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Had 41 hours in as of noon yesterday so I hit the woods :dance:

When you first go out to a property and find a good tree set that you want to prep are you trimming anything during that first time or just picking a entrance route and marking the tree? Then going back and doing the final prep work with your stand and sticks?

For the ground sets I'm guessing those you can do right away or do you come back and prep those at a later time.

Speed scout without my stand, then go back. My goal isn’t to pick a kill set the first time in. Often I need to scour aerials and do an in depth re-scout of the bedding the 2nd time in. Being very thorough helps my confidence.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:09 am

greenhorndave wrote:Had an interesting day. Started off by stepping onto what I thought was a patch of grass and ended up being a muck pit. I had to choose between my hip boot or staying there a looooong time. So long hip boot.

1412.jpg

So I made the one-booted walk back to the parking lot, threw on my other pair of boots and kept going. Walked about 3 miles but wasn't impressed with what I found. Lots of doe sign to keep in mind and watched a doe feed in the meadow at midday, but no great buck sign.

Had time so hit a spot I wanted to hunt last year but there was a truck. I probably should have went in, but I didn't know the place well enough. I hit a lot of what I wanted to on aerials and still wasn't happy. The transitions were fabulous but no good buck sign. I was disappointed, then it all literally turned the corner when I turned the corner. Lots of rubs, some excellent and one that was amazing. From mid-thigh to collarbone and I'm 6-1. I think I have a way to hunt it and a time in mind. There was human sign on the property but nothing where the good stuff was. Had a couple of unseen deer walk in on me when my back was turned. Another good sign.

The day started as a mess and ended with the spot I'm most excited about for pre-rut. A fun day.

:lol: :lol:

Started rough but ended well.
Jsmitty3

Unread postby Jsmitty3 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:54 am

New to posting on this forum but have been a avid reader and beast style hunter for a few years now. I scouted a spot recently that was literally teeming with bucks sign it’s small chunk only 35 acres and it’s public that is virtually untouched for the last several years the issue is it’s right in town and trying to be sneaky getting in as going to be paramount anybody have any good tricks or ideas for being as clandestine as possible?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”