2021 scouting reports

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Quest1001

Re: 2021 scouting reports

Unread postby Quest1001 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:58 pm

I hit a two year old in the backstrap and his rack was the same form the following year when my brother shot him during rifle season.

Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:50 pm

Made a quick trip into one of my old faithful spots tonight. Late planted crop has me excited so I snuck in and made some adjustments. I picked one new ground blind location and also got a kill tree ready. That property has some potential but it’s dead right now. Most of the trails were very faint.

I observed at a different spot after that. Tonight is the 2nd time in a row Mr Big didn’t show :think: I even camped out for 2.5 hours, but no dice. I saw a bunch of does and a few little bucks... learned quite a bit about how they use this piece though so that’s a win.

The only decent buck looked like a stud two year old. His beams came up really high and he’s probably 16” inside. He only has 2 inches of g2 and g3 on each side.

I think I’m gonna have to switch gears for a bit. I’ll check back with this spot in 3-4 weeks and see if the big one decides to come back home ;)
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:31 am

Decided to switch it up and made a quick trip to my new area last night. Scouted it the last two years but haven’t hunted there yet. Saw a doe and a spike buck on that property. At a different, new to me property a couple miles away I found a bachelor group. There was a forkie, small basket 8, a decent two year old 8, and a borderline shooter. Of course it was getting late and the spotting scope was getting dark, but he’s big enough I think I need to take another look. I’m thinking he’ll be in the 120’s, so not what I’m looking for (early season anyway).

Pretty sure they were bedded on public where a ravine meets a slough.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:11 am

Put out two trail cams on the 70 acre private piece that I hunt. I put them in very easy to access non invasive spots. I put one on each side of the property in two areas that deer travel through to get to the nearest crop field thats to the southeast.

I made mock scrapes at the camera site with licking vines (got the idea from a Jeff Sturgis video I watched) just for the heck of it. Never experimented with mock scrapes, but they are far away from bedding and over no where near where I'll be hunting so I'm not afraid of doing any damage. I'm expecting night time pics in these locations, solely for the purpose of seeing if there are any bucks on this piece that I want to go after. Plan is to save this property for a couple pre-rut/rut sits late October and early November.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:07 pm

Lockdown wrote:Made a quick trip into one of my old faithful spots tonight. Late planted crop has me excited so I snuck in and made some adjustments. I picked one new ground blind location and also got a kill tree ready. That property has some potential but it’s dead right now. Most of the trails were very faint.

I observed at a different spot after that. Tonight is the 2nd time in a row Mr Big didn’t show :think: I even camped out for 2.5 hours, but no dice. I saw a bunch of does and a few little bucks... learned quite a bit about how they use this piece though so that’s a win.

The only decent buck looked like a stud two year old. His beams came up really high and he’s probably 16” inside. He only has 2 inches of g2 and g3 on each side.

I think I’m gonna have to switch gears for a bit. I’ll check back with this spot in 3-4 weeks and see if the big one decides to come back home ;)

What is your criteria and setup for a ground blind location?
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:31 pm

Dhoff wrote:
Lockdown wrote:Made a quick trip into one of my old faithful spots tonight. Late planted crop has me excited so I snuck in and made some adjustments. I picked one new ground blind location and also got a kill tree ready. That property has some potential but it’s dead right now. Most of the trails were very faint.

There’s no criteria really. I’ve hid in deadfalls, thickets, cattails, corn fields, random clumps of brush, anything I think I can hide in. This particular spot is some dogwood next to cattails. I will be watching a grassy (but hidden) travel corridor that connects corn to alfalfa with a tree line adjoining it.

There’s a tiny little gap in the wall of dogwood that I’m going to tuck into. Early season with leaves on there will be plenty of cover. I’ll clear the ground so I can move my feet quiet, maybe shove some branches in the ground to add some leafy cover in front of me if needed, then impersonate a statue as best I can.

No trimming necessary. As far as set up is concerned, it is about as simple and easy as a kill set gets.
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 am

Went out after work Friday night to scout a newer area. Well after my 4 mile loop I returned to find that the back of my truck had been broken into. They had just pried the tonneau cover up enough to get in the box of my truck. I didnt have anything in there, but g-wiz, WTH is wrong with people?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:00 am

Pudster wrote:Went out after work Friday night to scout a newer area. Well after my 4 mile loop I returned to find that the back of my truck had been broken into. They had just pried the tonneau cover up enough to get in the box of my truck. I didnt have anything in there, but g-wiz, WTH is wrong with people?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Scum bags

What general area...if you care to share.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:09 am

Pudster wrote:Went out after work Friday night to scout a newer area. Well after my 4 mile loop I returned to find that the back of my truck had been broken into. They had just pried the tonneau cover up enough to get in the box of my truck. I didnt have anything in there, but g-wiz, WTH is wrong with people?

That sucks. People can be such turds.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:16 am

Scouted on Sunday. Cut a nice track, second time I’ve seen it this year. It’s a new place so It’s going to be a challenge to pin him down in the hilly country ag. Lots of bedding options and sight lines aren’t that awesome for observation sits. Gotta start somewhere tho.

Funniest thing was walking through some 7 ft tall grass and seeing and hearing things running toward me. I was in a little open pocket in the grass and the first thing ran around me and I never saw it. Second thing is barreling right at me. I can see the grass parting. It hits the little opening and it’s a coyote in full sprint 10 feet from me. He looked at me, diverted around me and kept going. I assume he was chasing a deer. Glad I wasn’t on the menu.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:41 am

Dhoff wrote:

The biggest thing for me is make sure you have a shooting lane! Just because it looks clean through your sight doesn't mean your arrow won't hit anything since it's lower then your sight picture. I made that mistake last year on my biggest buck ever. Arrow hit a twig and I thought I was in the clear. It's sicking when that happened.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:24 pm

By us catalytic converters are being stole real bad. Ridiculous. Broad daylight. Guys go fishing and come back to that. Makes me want to park my rig and set a trail camera up or hide in my car and wait.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:42 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Dhoff wrote:

There’s no criteria really. I’ve hid in deadfalls, thickets, cattails, corn fields, random clumps of brush, anything I think I can hide in. This particular spot is some dogwood next to cattails. I will be watching a grassy (but hidden) travel corridor that connects corn to alfalfa with a tree line adjoining it.

There’s a tiny little gap in the wall of dogwood that I’m going to tuck into. Early season with leaves on there will be plenty of cover. I’ll clear the ground so I can move my feet quiet, maybe shove some branches in the ground to add some leafy cover in front of me if needed, then impersonate a statue as best I can.

No trimming necessary. As far as set up is concerned, it is about as simple and easy as a kill set gets.

I pick spots i think will make for a good ambush spot but always feel naked or to risky and talk myself out of it.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:16 pm

Dhoff wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Dhoff wrote:

I pick spots i think will make for a good ambush spot but always feel naked or to risky and talk myself out of it.

Whats more natural then being naked in the woods?
Exposed naked trees are why Asat exist.

Wear Asat and talk yourself into stupid ideas they sometimes turn into alot of fun or a long drag lol.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:31 pm

Dhoff wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
Dhoff wrote:

Roll those dice, man!! I always try and find the best SPOT to kill one, and often that means ground set. Sometimes they aren’t comfortable, and sometimes everything works out WAY easier than you think it will.

The only time I don’t hunt a set is if I KNOW it won’t work. If I’m not sure what will happen, I hunt it and find out. That’s how I learn and improve.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”