Live from the field 2021-2022

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Live from the field 2021-2022

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:41 pm

You know it’s not a good night for movement when a yearling buck waits until there’s 5 minutes of legal light left. He was bedded within 50 yards of me. Possibly as close as 30. Pretty happy with that since it was dead calm the last 100 yards when I entered. Pretty easy to sneak when the grass isn’t dead. It’ll be a different story in a couple weeks! ;)

James
500 Club

Unread postby James » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:01 pm

Doe parade for me tonight. Watched 8 different ones filter through passed me and out into the clover. Good movement but wasn’t where the bucks were tonight
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:14 pm

Saw 7 total, only one had antlers, 4 pointer. Nice night. This was a button buck below me.

20210925_171607.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mgaspari

Unread postby Mgaspari » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:36 pm

Had a great opener on Ohio public. Morning sit on a point with oaks dropping that in the past I’ve caught bucks on in the am going to bed. Had 7 does filter by, all within shooting distance. Evening sit was 100 yards from a bed on an exit trail to oak flat. Had a nice 8 pt come out just as I had planned. He was close to getting an arrow but only a 2.5 year old. Ate acorns for about 20 minutes before he moved on. Then had a doe at last light. Definitely a good opener. Will hit one of the other beds in that area tomorrow evening.
Beauford

Unread postby Beauford » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:38 pm

First sit of the year. Total of 5 seen. Had a spike at 10 yards at 5:15. Had a big lone doe at 20 yards at 6:10. She sat in some bushes eating couldn't get a shot. Man she only needed to move like 5 feet. Dang cause I was ready to release. Good sit - geese put on a show landing in two different spots.
RuskiBow
Facebook: Samuel Letunovskiy

Unread postby RuskiBow » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:46 pm

Drove into national forest tonight about an hour away from my house. Brought a stand to leave for the season in the woods so I can bowhunt or gun hunt it with the correct wind conditions.

This same spot has been pretty good to me last few years with plenty of doe and a small buck. Last year I had camera pictures of nice bucks frequenting the area on early mornings in November. Am hoping they will be on the same pattern this year!

Spooked an unknown deer on the walk in, set up, and just enjoyed the evening. No deer were seen on stand. As I was walking back I flashed a 6-7 point buck with my headlamp and he just stood there 30 yards broadside, 1 minute after legal light. I have a good idea of which direction he came from, might have to hunt it on Monday or Tuesday!

Congrats to all the recent killers and good luck to everyone else!
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person"

-Fred Bear
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:47 pm

Good luck tomorrow Tenn.
Good luck with your quiver, Autiger.

Update: double lunged her at about 27 yards. My longest bow kill by far. Third bow kill altogether. I set up for a last minute observation sit and watched her match in from about 400 yards away over the course of 45 minutes. I’ll add some detail in the kill zone tomorrow. I’m pretty excited.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
webby
Facebook: james weber

Unread postby webby » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:21 pm

Tennhunter3 wrote:Hunted this afternoon had 2 big 140 inch 8s they were 4 year old plus and both near identical. come out of bedding i judged him for 30 and shot over his back. He was 21 yards.

About 10 minutes later a 3 year old 8 walked under my tree my shot was near straight down broadside.

Their was no blood on the arrow just a bunch of hair.
Should I search in the morning?
It was a really steep shot about 22 feet straight down about 5 yards.

Anyone had a buck die with just white hair all over the arrow no blood?

I'm not sure what I should do the arrow sounded like it him him.

Their was a small 4 point behind him.

They came out of bedding biggest to smallest.

A few years ago I had an almost identical shot situation. My shot wound up a little back and clipped liver and stomach. There was hair where i hit the deer but the arrow was mostly clean and a little greasy. Best guess is the fat wiped the arrow clean on the exit. Found the buck alive and had to be finished off the next day, but left undisturbed he had went under 100 yards. Ran to water.
briar
500 Club

Unread postby briar » Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:26 pm

Nice luke.. great shot
Jonny
500 Club

Unread postby Jonny » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:03 am

Tennhunter3 wrote:Hunted this afternoon had 2 big 140 inch 8s they were 4 year old plus and both near identical. come out of bedding i judged him for 30 and shot over his back. He was 21 yards.

About 10 minutes later a 3 year old 8 walked under my tree my shot was near straight down broadside.

White hair makes sense with that angle. Tons of fat and farther up is that cartilage so any blood could easily be wiped off. Unfortunately it could also plug the exit hole. And since the entrance is high you won’t get any blood from that either.

Fatal shot but no way to tell where you hit him. I’d say start grid searching the area he went or bring a dog in. Definitely would search in the morning
You have a monkey Mr. Munson?
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:05 am

Congrats LukeTM :clap:
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:22 am

Were the white hairs long? Was there a lot of hair? Did the arrow have any fat on it or just hair?
Autiger
500 Club

Unread postby Autiger » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:17 am

Congratulations to the killers!

I unfortunately went back out this morning trying to retrace my steps to find my quiver and I was unsuccessful. The grass is just high and the foliage in the buckthorn it’s too green and thick. I suppose if any beast hunters are on the north side of Rome pond keep your eyes open for a mission three arrow quiver, all pink vanes and s150 Ironwill broadheads. Who knows maybe I’ll mosey around there in the spring shed hunting and stumble across it.
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:22 am

LukeTM wrote:Good luck tomorrow Tenn.
Good luck with your quiver, Autiger.

Update: double lunged her at about 27 yards. My longest bow kill by far. Third bow kill altogether. I set up for a last minute observation sit and watched her match in from about 400 yards away over the course of 45 minutes. I’ll add some detail in the kill zone tomorrow. I’m pretty excited.

congrats on the kill and a good shot.
Andr3wxmma
Facebook: Andrew Mattison

Unread postby Andr3wxmma » Mon Sep 27, 2021 2:25 am

My profile pic buck arrow was like that just a small amount of blood on fletchings. Shot him at like 12 yards and I was 25ft up. Ended up getting the bottom of the heart and exiting out the bottom of the chest due to the steep angle. He walked off like nothing happened after my shot too.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”