Live from the field 2021-2022

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mipubbucks24
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2021

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:49 pm

greenhorndave wrote:
dan wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
dan wrote:20210126_164641.jpg

Survey says?

they were there yesyerday... no show today

I can relate :lol:

Every year I am amazed by how long parts of WI season is. From sept to feb? That is crazy long, those deer got PHDs in survival by time the season is over! Good luck guys!

szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Thu Jan 28, 2021 4:21 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
dan wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Survey says?

Every year I am amazed by how long parts of WI season is. From sept to feb? That is crazy long, those deer got PHDs in survival by time the season is over! Good luck guys!

Especially when those areas with the longest seasons have the highest population densities of people (SE WI for example) with a hunter behind every tree for those 5 months on public!

By this time of year those fresh tracks you see after a fresh snow on public are made between the hours of 10pm and 4am with their bedding being on the neighboring private land. Totally unkillable to your public land hunters for the most part.

I miss the days of just a 9 day gun season statewide and regulated doe tags you almost never got. Doe tags were like winning the lottery and getting a deer was NOT expected to be guaranteed as most feel nowadays.

Sorry rant over. Just blowing off some steam after dealing with so many Covid Hunters on public this season. It would be nice to see a lot of these extra season go away though.
mipubbucks24
500 Club

Unread postby mipubbucks24 » Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:04 am

szwampdonkey wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
dan wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Survey says?

Especially when those areas with the longest seasons have the highest population densities of people (SE WI for example) with a hunter behind every tree for those 5 months on public!

By this time of year those fresh tracks you see after a fresh snow on public are made between the hours of 10pm and 4am with their bedding being on the neighboring private land. Totally unkillable to your public land hunters for the most part.

I miss the days of just a 9 day gun season statewide and regulated doe tags you almost never got. Doe tags were like winning the lottery and getting a deer was NOT expected to be guaranteed as most feel nowadays.

Sorry rant over. Just blowing off some steam after dealing with so many Covid Hunters on public this season. It would be nice to see a lot of these extra season go away though.

As much as I love hunting I don’t think it’s good management practice to have seasons open that long, especially in the North where deer are dealing with hard winters. I wish Michigan’s season opened earlier, but I think everything should be done by New Years or even earlier.

Indiana is doing an interesting thing with their deer reduction zones. They are having longer seasons in targeted areas where deer/car collisions are prevalent. The theory is you would not impact the herd any because those deer are already getting hit by cars, so allow hunters to reduce the herd to limit car accidents. I am all for that, and maybe that’s what these Wisconsin hunts are, I have not looked into them.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jan 28, 2021 7:03 am

mipubbucks24 wrote:
szwampdonkey wrote:
mipubbucks24 wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:
dan wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Survey says?

As much as I love hunting I don’t think it’s good management practice to have seasons open that long, especially in the North where deer are dealing with hard winters. I wish Michigan’s season opened earlier, but I think everything should be done by New Years or even earlier.

Indiana is doing an interesting thing with their deer reduction zones. They are having longer seasons in targeted areas where deer/car collisions are prevalent. The theory is you would not impact the herd any because those deer are already getting hit by cars, so allow hunters to reduce the herd to limit car accidents. I am all for that, and maybe that’s what these Wisconsin hunts are, I have not looked into them.

I agree with Sz.

As for the car accident thing, I have heard similar but haven’t seen it spelled out that way officially. But the late, late bow season are in counties clustered around the major interstates for the most part. You’ll also see the boatload of gun seasons.

Personally, I’d like to see two-week gun season and no special antlerless seasons, but that out of selfishness to get back to pure archery as soon as possible.

A7039968-9223-4DC8-A35C-F7602A77324B.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:42 am

Just setup in my last chance hailmary sit. Spot I found scouting the first weekend in February of 19. It was hot then and put on the list to hunt for a late season evening sit with north wind. So here I am, though it’s the first time I’ve even been on this block of public since December 2019 when I wrote it off for the time being due to the crazy pressure. I’m just a hair over two miles back though, across a thigh high body of water, and in an area where there are only a tree or two to hang in. Maybe they’re stacked in here, sign still looks good.

Going to miss this, but on the bright side, next hunt will be in a beast stand. Good luck to anyone else out!

00328385-62B8-4CAD-9E9B-809BA386AD9A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:46 am

Get um Thwack!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:46 am

WI archery ended yesterday.

I literally took this in my backyard just now (1140 CT)

890.jpg

893.jpg

894.jpg

They were even sparring a little bit

:doh: :cry:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:42 am

Looks like you've been lookin for deer in all the wrong places :lol:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:50 am

Wetfoot wrote:Looks like you've been lookin for deer in all the wrong places :lol:

Yeah, should have set up on the roof
----------
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:41 am

I have mixed emotions on how he looks... he’s a little on the rough side, but the drop tine I winged in October officially made it through the season. 8-)

I put my cam back out the end of December and finally pulled it today. Through out that entire time frame, I only had a deer come through in daylight ONCE... and it was him heading back to bed the morning of January 8th. Once in 5 weeks is insane to me... because all through October this cam was absolutely on fire with does and a few yearling bucks.

He was on cam very consistently until mid January when all the deer apparently headed to their wintering grounds.

It will be interesting to see if he makes it. I THINK he will. But him being underweight is a concern with such a mild winter. I’m also curious to see what he does rack wise. He could blow up into a monster, he could hang around the 140 mark, and he could get wacky racked due to being wounded.

I discontinued my journal last year, but if I locate him this spring I will do a journal on him and only him.
Noreast10pt
500 Club

Unread postby Noreast10pt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:01 am

I'm in Arkansas at a friends for the week, got 3 tags and 5 days to hunt.
Going to try knock down a doe here tonight to get some meat, then probably check out some public the rest of the week.

20210216_124048.jpg

20210216_124058.jpg
20210216_131100.jpg
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:50 am

Getting to be that time. Went for an hour walk scouting and pulled 4 ticks off me....
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Mar 15, 2021 4:01 am

Dhoff wrote:Getting to be that time. Went for an hour walk scouting and pulled 4 ticks off me....

Same, just now, although I’ve only found one so far... Time to permethrin up...
----------
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Re: Live from the Field 2021

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:30 pm

Getting all geared up to chase some antelope in the a.m. with the bow and arrow. Can't believe it's already hunting season again...let's go!!!!!!!! :dance:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Live from the Field 2021

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:04 pm

Good luck Cheeze!
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”