Live from the field 2021-2022

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2021

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jan 20, 2021 12:07 pm

Decided to roll the dice after work. I got out later than I hoped but went to access the backside of where I saw tracks leading into. A pretty beat-down trail.

Headed back and the does were out earlier and closer than I expected, about 75 yards closer. Wound up bumping them. Hoped stragglers would have come out where the first one did, but they split the difference between where I bumped the first one and the original spot I chose. Six in total.

I was antsy and knew that I was pushing it. Should have backed off and did an observation sit, as it was a new area to me. The plus side is that the does in general seem a little less wired than about a month ago.

Will try again elsewhere.

----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:44 am

It was around 0F last night. Windy and in the upper teens now.

It’s only does, but one of my trail cams has been blowing up all day.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
LukeTM
Facebook: IG: Racks_and_Rivers

Unread postby LukeTM » Thu Jan 21, 2021 4:53 pm

Sounds like you’re on em Greenhorndave!

Did some shining tonight. Found a dozen deer right where I wanted them and hour after dark.
Even saw 6 or so coming out of a corner which is an obvious sign of where they are coming from. I’ll head in Saturday and back track the trails! Hoping to get one more deer before the season closes.
I hunt, I fish and I sing guitar solos in songs.
IG: Racks_and_Rivers
wjung

Unread postby wjung » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:04 am

Went out last night to a spot on public that I have been wanting to check out. Used the wind to hit some pines where I thought they'd be, and I was able to walk within 60 or 70 yards from a nice 8 and a doe browsing. They had no clue I was there. I guess I still thought it gets dark way before it does (not used to hunting towards the end of January) and made a move on them and wound up getting busted. Oh well, still good to be out and get close. That will do it most likely for my season. Scouted some this morning and found some great spots to hunt next fall. Wanted to do some hinge cuts on my small property, but of course the saws wouldn't start in 2 deg weather. Figures!
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:50 pm

Went to the spot where I saw slick heads earlier in the week. Conditions were very different and the weather stations just off wind was off about 45 degrees in that area. Nothing seen. It was very clear and bright after shooting hours. Not much was out even on the private properties that are usually loaded at dusk.

Will scout a ton tomorrow to hopefully capitalize over the next two days
----------
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:09 am

Last weekend for me. Plan on getting out soon and scouting all day and will sit any active sign i see tonight and possibly tomorrow. The Packers being in the NFC Championship has put a crimp in my plans to hunt tomorrow evening but cant complain as I am hoping this will be their year to return to the big game!

I have venison in the freezer but its the odds are looking VERY slim ill be putting a mature buck down this year. Sure had fun trying though.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:23 am

Up in the air. Some decent tracks. We'll see

885.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
----------
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Nobody wanted to come out and play the game of Get Stuck by an Arrow
----------
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:47 pm

Decided to go for a scout today but on 6 miles in the swamp cut one good track that was pretty old not much for sign in this area.. Cell cams have been dead for about a week now. Back to the drawing board I'm running out of time..
szwampdonkey
500 Club

Unread postby szwampdonkey » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:07 am

Saw a buck last night, decent one.

However, as luck would have it he did the damndest thing i ever saw.

I have a spot with oak hardwoods that lead down into a cattail swamp with two creeks on both sides of it and a lake on the far side. They bed almost all the way to the lake typically. I was set up perfect on a well run trail with tracks running both in and out.

Well, this old boy stands up 20 minutes before sundown, wades chest deep across one of the creeks in 20 degree weather, shakes himself off, and proceeds to walk right across the frozen 40 acre lake to the cattails on the other side INSTEAD of walking down the nice easy well run trail past my stand so i could send an arrow through his lungs.

Not sure what made him do that, didn’t seem alarmed in any way but i’ve never seen a buck for that. Must of known i was there somehow idk but it was crazy. Sometimes you can have em all figured out and just bad luck saves those old bucks.

Was great seeing him though i haven’t been on a buck for about a month. Now, do i watch the Packer game tonight or see if he is in there again????? :think:
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:05 am

szwampdonkey wrote:Saw a buck last night, decent one.

However, as luck would have it he did the damndest thing i ever saw.

I have a spot with oak hardwoods that lead down into a cattail swamp with two creeks on both sides of it and a lake on the far side. They bed almost all the way to the lake typically. I was set up perfect on a well run trail with tracks running both in and out.

Well, this old boy stands up 20 minutes before sundown, wades chest deep across one of the creeks in 20 degree weather, shakes himself off, and proceeds to walk right across the frozen 40 acre lake to the cattails on the other side INSTEAD of walking down the nice easy well run :D trail past my stand so i could send an arrow through his lungs.

Not sure what made him do that, didn’t seem alarmed in any way but i’ve never seen a buck for that. Must of known i was there somehow idk but it was crazy. Sometimes you can have em all figured out and just bad luck saves those old bucks.

Was great seeing him though i haven’t been on a buck for about a month. Now, do i watch the Packer game tonight or see if he is in there again????? :think:

Oh, that’s a bummer. From the buck’s perspective, there’s got to be no easier walk than something with no obstacles. What was the wind doing? He’d certainly have a sight advantage. That’s the funny thing about hunting,,, we’re not hunting robots. They have a brain and do things for what seem like whims, and maybe they are, but the unpredictability of it all just can’t be predicted. :D Good luck if you give it another go.
----------
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:49 am

20210126_164641.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:42 am

dan wrote:20210126_164641.jpg

Survey says?
----------
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:27 pm

greenhorndave wrote:

Survey says?

they were there yesyerday... no show today
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:28 pm

dan wrote:
greenhorndave wrote:

Survey says?

they were there yesyerday... no show today

I can relate :lol:
----------

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”