Live from the field 2021-2022

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Live from the field 2021-2022

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:27 am

Interesting..

<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:04 pm

Sunday night's Plan C haha

Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:35 pm

<DK> wrote:Sunday night's Plan C haha

:lol:

I've done that too....minus the bow holder
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:12 am

Hoping the Ocooch mountains are good to me tonight!
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:28 am

tim wrote:Hoping the Ocooch mountains are good to me tonight!

Good luck tim!
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:59 am

Good Luck Tim

I have seen a bunch of early movement this evening

I was able to watch about 5 minutes worth of really good sparring a few minutes ago

Seen 6 does and 4 fawns other than the two distance bucks
Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:51 pm

I haven't been able to post much in the last few days. I almost killed a good one on sunday, but he caught a little bit of wind right at the last minute. He didn't seem too spooked, just turned and slowly walked away. I bumped a nice one this evening, just got a little too close to the bedding area, but hey, if you don't bump one every now and then, you aren't getting close enough.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
Wihunter95

Unread postby Wihunter95 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:30 pm

I got out yesterday for a quick hunt after work on a bean field where I've seen does frequent. I had some deer moving through the woods behind me, never got an eye on em
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:25 pm

James wrote:All setup for the evening. Number one buck was on cam headed into bedding I am sitting this am. What a day already though! Super fun night last night, lots of deer seen. I filmed a fun buck fight and Arrowbender killed a good one and we dragged it out this morning and took photos for him. Full story coming soon I’m sure.

Tree was a little noisy tonight so I broke out my Uncle Lou bark silencer from my bag. So comfy!!

That’s a great one AB!

And not in the rut! :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:27 pm

LukeTM wrote:Good luck tomorrow Tenn.
Good luck with your quiver, Autiger.

Update: double lunged her at about 27 yards. My longest bow kill by far. Third bow kill altogether. I set up for a last minute observation sit and watched her match in from about 400 yards away over the course of 45 minutes. I’ll add some detail in the kill zone tomorrow. I’m pretty excited.

That’s a nice sized doe man!
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed Sep 29, 2021 3:37 pm

Had some good ones in the last week, usually ending in some sort of equipment snafu or getting busted by does who come in opposite of the way they had been on the very same wind and get wigged out about something that’s larger than the tree trunk hanging off of it in a saddle. :roll: Had a basket 8 bust me tonight as I was tightening my top tether. Lots of action though, including a big-bodied deer who came in with purpose and powered down a nasty steep embankment to cross a creek. It was gray light so I never saw bone, but it was a brawny display of strength and confidence from that beast. Didn’t break stride. Had to have been a three year old by body size. I went to the spot he crossed and was like, “no way in heck am I going down that!”

Back at it tomorrow, although it might be more of an observation considering the wind is sketchy for diving in at the place I want to check out.
----------
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Sep 30, 2021 10:56 am

First public land sit of the year tonight. Drove around checking out water holes and found they were all empty yesterday. Knew of one larger pond in the woods that I figured had to have water so I just figured I sit it tonight. Got there and it was bone dry. Plan b is mostly an observation sit over a crp field that will be filled with pheasant hunters in a few weeks. Bumped 2 does from under the tree I picked on the way in.

Good luck to anyone out it's a bueatiful night even if its hot

P.s if you were beat to your spot by a tan suburban with an extremely rusty rear bumper sorry about that
isitseasonyet?
500 Club

Unread postby isitseasonyet? » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:27 am

It’s 85deg, swirling wind, and the mosquitoes are horrid.

BUT,

I’m in the swamp, on the only high ground, with the weather changing tonight, trying to get eyes on a big buck rumored to have been seen in the area.

I brought the bow just so I can say “I went hunting” hoping to find a buck on the edge!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:22 pm

Ended up bumping 2 on the way in and saw 3 does from the tree. Didnt really help that the wind switched 180 degrees from the time I got in the tree to the time Ieft. Not a terrible night for a plan b sit
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:07 pm

Got done with work early and remembered a bedding area I scouted this spring. I checked the opposite side out (500 yards away) a couple weeks ago and it looked pretty dead.

To be completely honest I found it by accident. :shifty: It was full of rubs this spring with some good looking beds. They’re randomly dispersed in this thicket.

Idk how nobody else kicks them out of here as it’s super easy access, very small, yet not really a spot that you would think would be overlooked. :think: I can’t believe it holds anything but does.

Whelp. Got to the edge of it and it’s ripped to pieces. :shock: Trails are pounded. Browse line on the willows made it look like cattle in there. There’s three visible rubs on the edge and a branch thats head height with broken twigs. (Pictured)

Rub front and center, and crazy browse line.

I’ve shined this area multiple times and cruised at dusk but haven’t seen any quality bucks so haven’t put more time into it.

I’m not sure if I missed my window of opportunity, but there’s one way to find out. I don’t think it will take much pressure to push them out of here… no security cover around it. So pheasant hunters will likely burn it.

I hate that I got my scent that close to bedding but my main goal was to establish whether or not it was used early season or not. Now I know. (Timing is crucial)

Im hoping to make it out hunting twice this weekend. Might take a swing at this place. Traditionally the neighboring properties hold good bucks.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”