Deer Season to Scouting Season

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
littlebuckhunter

Deer Season to Scouting Season

Unread postby littlebuckhunter » Wed Dec 30, 2020 4:48 am

A lot of you guys are way more hardcore than me. You transition from hunting season to post season scouting almost immediately. I am fat and lazy. I like to take a break after a long hunting season and sleep in, enjoy the conclusion of a successful harvest. The next season is 10 months away in my neck of the woods and the motivation to really grind out the miles isn't there right now. Another 6-8 weeks and I'll be itching to get out.

Does anyone else give themselves a break?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Deer Season to Scouting Season

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:04 am

I have a couple rest periods with deer during the year. One is right after our bow season ends nov14. I don’t hunt much late season because I’m out of vacation and usually working tons of hours. I’ll start scouting again in January but I really pick it up in March and April because I can scout and look for sheds. The second rest period is after green up in early May till mid July when I start hanging trail cams and summer glassing
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:13 am

littlebuckhunter wrote:A lot of you guys are way more hardcore than me. You transition from hunting season to post season scouting almost immediately. I am fat and lazy. I like to take a break after a long hunting season and sleep in, enjoy the conclusion of a successful harvest. The next season is 10 months away in my neck of the woods and the motivation to really grind out the miles isn't there right now. Another 6-8 weeks and I'll be itching to get out.

Does anyone else give themselves a break?

I do. I usually start my post season scouting in March when the snow melts. All the sign will still be there that was made in the previous Oct and Nov. And im with you- I'm not 25 any more, I'm well into my 40's. Dont need to pound knee high snow for miles in Dec-Feb when the sign will be there when it melts. Path of least resistance like the deer do :) Work smarter not harder I say.
treeroot
500 Club

Unread postby treeroot » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:28 am

My break after season is more wife and kids related. After disappearing every weekend for months I try to take over kids duties and give my wife a break. If we get a snow melt from now through March I'll take my 5 and 7 year olds on light scouting missions. Last spring that turned more into looking for squirrels and general nature hiking more then scouting. But if that means my kids spending time in the woods, I'm 100% ok with that. They'll remember the walks with dad more then any deer I've ever killed.
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:31 am

My rest period is WI muzzleloader season and the stupid holiday hunt. Other than that I scout immediately so I know where these deer are during pressure. Basically if I don’t have to wear blaze orange in the woods, I’m scouting.
G-Patt

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:05 am

I'm usually in the woods after bow season ends anyway hunting squirrels or scouting out of sheer boredom unless the snow is too heavy or it's too cold. This year, I'll be hunting coyotes through early March, and you can bet I'll be looking for deer sign. Once mid-March comes around, my mind turns to kayaking and fishing.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:50 am

I’ve killed bucks in the fall from post season scouting the previous year. I enjoy the freedom and change of pace that scouting offers. By the end of deer season, I’m ready to get up and move. A lot of my hunting friends think I’m nuts for doing that after season. I sure do get “lucky” more often than them during deer season though, as they put it. Sometimes it’s a lot of effort and walking but it does pay off IMO.

Take a break if you’re not up to it and go at your own pace. Hunting is supposed to be fun.

Like others in here, I start transitioning to fishing around March until October. Keeps me fresh.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:17 am

Jan 2 to April 1 is post season scouting and prep. Every weekend. 2021 season is right around the corner. I gotta do it that way cause right after Turkey season April1-May1 it really warms up and it’s awful
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:43 am

I go out as soon as hunting season ends. I can't wait to go dive in and pick apart many of the places I hunted this past season and learn what I did wrong or right. Throw some milkweed and dissect the bedroom. Then learn my lessons so I can play my hand better next season.

The past few years I have been getting more out of scouting without snow on the ground. I can definitely get a better picture of fall activity as well as late season. When we get snow it's good also but too much and I don't like to go pushing the deer around and giving them any added stress. In the past I was always big on scouting in the snow but I was absorbing the wrong Intel that I needed and the following fall I would end up hunting the right places but the wrong time of year. Took me a while to learn that.
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 pm

Yeah short breaks. Im currently in the learning process of balancing life and big bucks... :think:
elk yinzer
500 Club

Unread postby elk yinzer » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:08 pm

Right after the rut is my favorite time to scout and I get a lot of that done during our rifle season most years. I'll scout anytime I can when the ground is bare or a fresh snow from now until ice out when my attention turns to fishing. Deep or crusty snow like we have right now I don't bother, very little useful intel to be gained. I feel the squeeze from being gone so much in November but we still work things out pretty well. I start feeling like a caged animal if I go more than a couple weeks without getting in the woods anytime from Sept through May.
Last edited by elk yinzer on Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Treasurer, United Bowhunters of PA
https://ubofpa.org/membership-3
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:09 pm

Everybody has their own goals and hunting style. With mine, I'd rather get out now and give myself plenty of time. If I only hunted a couple of the same pieces, probably would take a break first.
ihookem
500 Club

Unread postby ihookem » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:19 pm

In my spare time, I scout or hunt. I have a strange breathing problem. The best thing I can do is take a brisk walk. So, if I need to take a good walk to clear my lungs, there is no better place to go than the public marsh. This means scouting is what I do to stay healthy. I doth scout in the summer . I Morell and shed hunt till Memorial day and start scouting around Labor day.
Ryan549
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ryan.donnelly.940

Unread postby Ryan549 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:29 pm

I got out yesterday for about three hours. We were forecasted to get 6” of snow last evening- which we did. It was a place that I have never been to and intel immediately after the season told me a lot.
Ryan
NBK438

Unread postby NBK438 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:44 pm

Im really looking forward to seasons end so I can start pounding some ground! Im not a real huge fan of scouting in season without a tag because I feel it is possible to bump one up and possibly get him killed. I have a new state I plan on hunting in 2021 so between e-scouting some of that and finding new haunts and refining the ones I already have in MI, I should stay fairly busy between now and May. Picking up trail cameras and a new glass system is priority this off season as far as gear.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”