States with long rifle seasons

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Ryan549
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ryan.donnelly.940

Re: States with long rifle seasons

Unread postby Ryan549 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:23 pm

mspaci wrote:Ny`s northern zone is 45 days

Yup, only slightly more thankful that I am in the southern zone. I wish it opened on a Saturday and went until the following Sunday. One full week and two weekends is plenty

Ryan
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:51 pm

Wow that's pretty crazy how much it changes from state to state. Our muzzleloader season is 9 days and our rifle is 2 weeks. This year they finally extended our special holiday anterless rifle to 2 weeks. They voted against a longer rifle season earlier this year. But our archery season does run from October 1 till January 15th.
Matthewkatz
Facebook: matthew R katzmarek

Unread postby Matthewkatz » Tue Dec 01, 2020 7:57 am

The season length is nothing compared to the 3 does a day bag limit
mspaci

Unread postby mspaci » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:29 am

Ryan549 wrote:
mspaci wrote:Ny`s northern zone is 45 days

Yup, only slightly more thankful that I am in the southern zone. I wish it opened on a Saturday and went until the following Sunday. One full week and two weekends is plenty

We agree whole heartedly on this, NY could grow some truly outstanding bucks if they did this. Ct is only a few miles from us & the big bucks coming out of there are truly remarkable. Limited hunting pressure due to signed consent forms needed on private land & a shorter season. Mike
dcbakr78

Unread postby dcbakr78 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 5:20 pm

Our rifle season in north MS is about 3 months from the beginning of November to the end of January with dog hunting allowed on private and public during about half of that time. Dog hunting is big in my area which makes bowhunting tough once rifle season starts. You put all the work into scouting and hunting a particular buck only to have some guys dump a pack of hounds into the bedding area once dog season opens completely blowing out the area and running the buck into the next county or killing him as the dogs run him out to the road. This scenario plays out over and over again for almost 2 months. After much frustration trying to bow hunt during rifle season the past few years, this season I picked my rifle back up and have really enjoyed hunting with it again.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sun Jan 03, 2021 2:02 am

Matthewkatz wrote:Hey guys, my state has a rifle season that lasts from the end of November to the beginning of January. I know a lot of states have a late archery season after the gun season and it can be fantastic but how do you guys tackle states that have really long rifle seasons.
Thanks

I don’t bow hunt after gun season as that isn’t an option in the places I hunt. But I make a point to still-hunt and do small drives with a buddy or two on the last two days of season during midday. Nothing and I mean nothing has taught me more about how bucks evade pressure. This is super high pressure areas with nearly a 4 month firearm season. So my advice would be to walk it (I would do it with a shotgun and buckshot or a 30-30 type rifle) at the end of gun, learn where the deer go and formulate your future bow hunting plans from there...

I will add that from what I have seen in where the bucks are and how they are behaving, I would not like to have to try to bow hunt for mature bucks after a long gun on pressured land. Maybe it’s different up north where cold weather can force them to food but in the south you have your work really cut out for you.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Sun Jan 03, 2021 3:05 am

TN CWD counties in the SW part of the state have been brutal on the deer population especially on the public lands that I hunt.

My best advice is do not count on a long deer gun season to get it done later. Every buck that is killed off public land the first two weeks of the season is one that you missed out on, and someone else capitalized on. It’s a race in some aspects.

I spent several afternoons scouting after work during the October bow season instead of setting up and bow hunting. In my opinion, I traded many uneventful bow hunts into 4-5 dynamite scouting trips that got me on deer when muzzleloader or gun season opened in a few weeks.

I also bow hunted a little bit after I had enough spots scouted and killed a my first archery deer since 2016.

I had two hunters in my area I setup on opening day of gun season. I left and went to a different spot 2 days later and killed an 8 point. It’s been tough this year but this awesome forum and knowing to not put all my eggs in one basket kept me ahead of the game.
“Stay strapped or get clapped!” Theodore Roosevelt

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”