Close or scary encounters in the dark??

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Re: Close or scary encounters in the dark??

Unread postby mheichelbech » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:56 am

Came across a guy that was clearly living in his tent on some public land or city owned land. He was definitely one of those that got pushed out of the psych hospitals back when Reagan was President. He was way too friendly. I was young, maybe 18. Had flashes of Deliverance running through my mind. It took me about 10 mins to finally extricate myself from a very weird conversation with the guy.

I felt bad for him because he was clearly off mentally. I called the cops and let them know as I didn’t know if he might be a murderer or what.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Bud TN

Unread postby Bud TN » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:07 am

not sure if this meets the intent of this thread, but;

2 years ago, I had a Sal and her Cub bear within feet of me during muzzle loader season. I was ground hunting and at my stand 1.5hrs before daylight. I heard her winding me and thought it was some hogs at first. I sat motionless in the dark as they passed directly behind my tree (still thinking it's hogs and my all hair standing straight out on end). I let them pass before i turned on my light and had a small set of eyes looking back at me at about 15ft.

Just ahead of the small set of eyes was it's Momma and she didn't like that i was closer to the cub than she and quickly let me know it. She came bouncing down right at me growling as she bluff charged (fuzzed up and hopped on her front paws at me) to within 4ft of me while i stood to my feet, flashlight on bright, gun in hand and finger on the trigger, and yelled "HAHHHHA.......GET BACK" (she was so close i could've stretched my gun barrel and bumped her nose). If you've ever seen "the revenant", the bear scene flashed through my mind... After yelling, She quickly turned and ran about 10ft of me and turned to look at me again (all the while i had my muzzle loader pointed at her). I yelled at her again and they both took off like kentucky race horses through the timber.

As soon as they went out of hearing, the adrenaline passed, the nausea and uncontrollable shaking set in. I sat (shaking and sick) in the dark for the remainder of the 1.5 hours till daylight (the bear came to me within 5 minutes of me arriving to my stand). I sat on the cold ground with my gun cocked and in my hands. Since the bear had came in to me so quick, i did not have time to unpack any of my other gear (but-gasket, gloves, coat...etc) from my backpack before they got to me.

When it finally came daylight, i calmed down quite a bit and started to do some self-inspection/self-reflecting. :pray: :pray: :pray: I found that my underwear had indeed managed to survive intact and was still mostly white. :o I say mostly because my under carriage area had been temporarily relocated up around my throat and stayed there for several hours following.

I then glanced over at my muzzle loader (my only method of self defense) when another gut wrenching realization washed over me. Sometime between my last rest point and my stand, the No. 11 precussion cap had fallen off. :doh: and the nausea again returned. So, It would not have mattered if i decided to pull the trigger or not. Needless to say, that hunt was completely blown from a psychological standpoint and i went home soon after daylight.

I can say that after 20+ years of hunting the mountains here in TN i have never had an incident like this happen and it never crossed my mind that it would. Especially when i have a gun in my hands..... :roll:

It only takes 1 incident like this to teach you a hard lesson, so now I am always accompanied by large capacity pistol on every footstep i take into the mountains regardless of the time of year or legal hunting method.

Unfortunately, this is one in a very long list of hard lessons learned for me..... :oops:
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:19 am

Climbing down my tree at dark, about 8’ from the ground, and I heard some rustling, then a lot more, then I heard sticks and branches breaking and then the woods came alive with the hooves of cattle running hard.....about 100 head
Not a full-on stampede but something spooked them.
So I watch them all pass, then two stopped under my tree
Breathing heavy, all bugeyed
I wanted down and they wouldn’t leave.
They didn’t know I was there, I said “boo”
Daggum I didn’t know cows could jump.
They hauled , took the other 98 with them out of the woods

I had to walk out, through the pasture.
Once I cleared the wood by about a 100 yards they saw me and all of them came trotting over. For a minute I thought I was gonna be in a pickle. They just wanted my company

I think they were more scared than I was. Lol
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Dhurtubise
500 Club
Facebook: dhurtubise

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 am

Boogieman1 wrote:I had a dream once where I ate the worlds largest marshmallow and I woke up missing my pillow if that counts :?

This ones true that baffles me to this day. I got bad lost in the dark once that is unexplainable! Property was less than 40 acres and I got more lost than 2 mother scrunchers. It was a easy route, I would park and follow one of the perimeter fences until it hit a creek then hang a right in the creek bed and I had one trail marker where I would pop over the bank an scoodley doo up my tree.

The day in question is the strangest thing I have ever encountered. It was prime rut and I stayed out of the area all year and was planning an all day sit. Got there early to give myself plenty of time to ease in to my stand. What happened next I have no explanation for!

Walking in the dark I see head lights and hear traffic buzzing by. I'm wondering wtf next thing I know I cross a ditch and pop out on the side of the highway. I'm 5 miles from where I parked. I had to wait until daylight to figure out where in the heck I was. I know how long it takes me to get to that stand and I certainly did not walk 5 miles nor was I up all night partying with some Columbian bam bam. I would have to had crossed over 5 property fences and I didn't cross any. Took me until after lunch to make it back to the truck. To this day I don't know what happened. I still hunt the place and have never had another prob.

Boogieman, That sounds like a classic alien abduction. Just wondering if you checked all of your orifices for the dreaded probe the next day?
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:56 am

Affirmative captain! Absolutely no PROBS! Or bite marks on back of neck. They might have realized this guy is an idiot get him out of here :lol:
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:02 am

Boogieman1 wrote:Affirmative captain! Absolutely no PROBS! Or bite marks on back of neck. They might have realized this guy is an idiot get him out of here :lol:

Oh. And I just read that dewie had about the same post, so sorry to make you repeat yourself. I was mildly joking but I find your story fascinating.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:24 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
Boogieman, That sounds like a classic alien abduction. Just wondering if you checked all of your orifices for the dreaded probe the next day?

:lol: Was just thinking the same thing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am

Alien abduction no doubt. :lol:
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:00 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:Affirmative captain! Absolutely no PROBS! Or bite marks on back of neck. They might have realized this guy is an idiot get him out of here :lol:

Oh. And I just read that dewie had about the same post, so sorry to make you repeat yourself. I was mildly joking but I find your story fascinating.

Alright alright. I might have relished a tad bit. It was prob closer to 2 miles and upon investigation I noticed there is one small section of fence that was down that I somehow managed to line up on in the dark. I guess I walked behind all the other property fences. But one would think after a mile in I would have thought this sure feels more than a 5 minute stroll on 40 acres. I dunno what the heck happened buy I'm blaming something supernatural :lol:
-John Wayne-
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:04 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:

Alright alright. I might have relished a tad bit. It was prob closer to 2 miles and upon investigation I noticed there is one small section of fence that was down that I somehow managed to line up on in the dark. I guess I walked behind all the other property fences. But one would think after a mile in I would have thought this sure feels more than a 5 minute stroll on 40 acres. I dunno what the heck happened buy I'm blaming something supernatural :lol:

Sounds like a time warp. Ever get in one when your driving and next thing you know you don't remember the last 5 miles? Weird stuff. Never had it while hunting though but I'm sure it happens especially in the dark.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:25 am

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:

Sounds like a time warp. Ever get in one when your driving and next thing you know you don't remember the last 5 miles? Weird stuff. Never had it while hunting though but I'm sure it happens especially in the dark.

Never thought about it. But bet u are right! I do that a lot driving. It drives my wife nuts, where are u going? As I blow by the house. I dunno babe your guess is as good as mine lol
-John Wayne-
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:13 am

Jhand wrote:I had one kinda weird incident. I have shared it on here before I think. I was hunting a small piece of private land I had just gotten access to. It was the beginning of November my first time hunting it. Picked out a spot from aerials and had never hunted this one side of the property. I got out real early in the morning so I could take my time getting in. It was a real foggy morning and I was cutting through a small grass field. I didnt have my headlamp on and was just trying to use the moon light.

I'm walking about half way in the field and I hear something in front of me and off to the right. I freeze and look but dont see anything. The foggy was thick and I could only see a few yards in front of me. I wait a minute thinking its probably a deer. I didnt hear anything so I slowly started moving again. Then I see something moving out of the corner of my eye. I get a glance of something white and I'm thinking I just saw the biggest piebald deer and he's like 10 yards away from me. I figure I was busted so I turn and slowly take a step forward. Then I see it and he's standing right there, I make out a big body standing in the fog. I decided to turn on my light since this is probably the biggest deer I have ever seen close up. I reach for my light, and he doesn't move... hit the button... and the light hits him... then I see a white donkey standing about 5 feet in front of me.. I don't know who was more scared me or him lol..
I get setup a few hundred yards away and when day breaks I can see and hear this donkey just wondering around in the field. If I would have seen the property before I would have probably changed my access to go around that field.

Too funny! Checked afew cams today and believe I have found your huckleberry! This is on Public, I'm a bit concerned that maybe Juan Valdez lost his donkey.
-John Wayne-
Dhurtubise
500 Club

Unread postby Dhurtubise » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:02 am

Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:

Sounds like an alien abduction dewie... LOL
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:06 am

Dhurtubise wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Dhurtubise wrote:

Sounds like an alien abduction dewie... LOL

They call it highway hypnosis. Maybe there is such a thing as hiking hypnosis too. :think:
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:03 am

Anybody got any new stories?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”