When to return to stand after spook

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Sparkey

When to return to stand after spook

Unread postby Sparkey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:36 am

First time I've hunted this late into the morning and the biggest buck I've seen came from my right and was crossing a couple yards in front of me just after 11 . I drew back and my elbow hit the tree HARD lol.. and he just stared at me for awhile before bounding off behind a tree and then bounding off again. First once he's looking right at me that close should I have my tried to everslowly move my target or have taken a quick shot? I froze up bad....second do u leave the stand alone for a day or do I hunt it immediately tommorow since its likely he'll be back like clockwork. HE was HOT after a doe

headgear
500 Club

Re: When to return to stand after spook

Unread postby headgear » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:07 am

You could have tried to squeeze off a shot very slowly but he could have just busted you earlier. I would for sure go back, maybe sit in a different tree
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:43 am

Oh I'm definitely coming back good point about switching trees tho. I struggle to put these up im scared id make too much noise which I would accept if it wasn't already up. I was just thinking would it be better to let it cool off a day and let him cruise thru unharmed or be detrimental because he may be somewhere else by then
hoosierbowhunter90

Unread postby hoosierbowhunter90 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:16 am

I went and did a little scouting in an area I figured would have bucks last Saturday, jumped up two pretty good bucks one I know was at least 4.5. Went back in Monday morning and rattled that same buck directly under my tree around 9am and decided to let him go. I knew he was bedding in that area. He was too mad to realize what I was lol my thought is on private land that isn't highly pressured, bumping them and going in after them a morning or two later is a good strategy. I knew he would be back because the spot was thick and a good area and he wasn't going to give that spot up.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:13 pm

Well after a 4 hour drive and 4 hours sleep I completed my first all day sit in one spot. Didn't one see a thing after that nice buck came in at 11and I hit my elbow on the tree. I did consider bumping back a little bit to a different tree but there was only 1 I thought was any good and it was getting late. Ate soup for 2 season and blew this monster lol.. there is a scrape just out of sight probably 60 +yards away should I be set up over looking it?I always stayed away from it cause it was opened pines but maybe I should bump over .. anyways I'm assuming since there's a hot do in the area I can get by going in tommorow and not the following day?
PublicLand

Unread postby PublicLand » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:24 pm

Coin toss, I respect not rush wounding. May be rut stupid. He may circle downwind. He may vanish completely. That's the game IMO
I've killed deer by moving downwind of spooked spot waiting on return.
They live by their nose . Good luck
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:31 pm

Was doe running a trail or just moving through timber?

Do does move through that area a lot or do they cut corner sometimes when come through there?
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:01 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:Was doe running a trail or just moving through timber?

Do does move through that area a lot or do they cut corner sometimes when come through there?

Blue is a small cedar swamp I've been meaning to get closer too somehow but figured my preset stand was gravy for rut.
Green is oaks.
Red is beaten old highways u can see the size of the tree area to the right that is more open so I did not set up on it.
She came from the left intersecting orange trail went on the red trail in front of me and headed to the big pine trail where there's a scrape
buck came right after her practically. This is the only spot I've consistently hunted every year and haven't seen much but know there is deer. Also I'm not sure why maybe whitenoaks or hunting pressure but its a ghost town when snow hits. I've had deer come from all directions I can't figure em out really. Anyway hopefully I can get lucky even tho I blew it
Last edited by Sparkey on Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:09 pm

PublicLand wrote:Coin toss, I respect not rush wounding. May be rut stupid. He may circle downwind. He may vanish completely. That's the game IMO
I've killed deer by moving downwind of spooked spot waiting on return.
They live by their nose . Good luck

I thought about swinging it and letting her rip my sight was about a body off.. my peep didn't align cause my elbow threw me off.. can u get away with slow movement if they're looking at you?he stared at me awful long i almost thought he was going to put his head down and continue lol. Wait so ull come down the tree and hunt the ground?I never knew he'd circle to figure me out . Now I definitely wish I'd had bumped back a little.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sat Nov 07, 2020 12:31 am

Hard to say. But, he did stop to investigate or a least look. What he learned off of it is unknown. Getting off a shot would be a chance taken to see what happens. But, rushed shots do not always turn out good. He might be back in there this morning and he could be mile away. If it was me and it was possible I would move a little closer to that old highway. But, being there could change my whole thoughts on subject. Sorry I'm not much help. But, this is where you have to decide from past experiences in there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:44 am

There's just less security cover. But there's also a scrape. Never hunted over a scrape. I basically over looked it last year during gun season and i don't know if it was active...didn't see anything but I think it was over hunted. Not sure what wind is good either it seems like they all bone me
Sparkey

Unread postby Sparkey » Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:57 am

Sparkey wrote:
Ghost Hunter wrote:Was doe running a trail or just moving through timber?

Do does move through that area a lot or do they cut corner sometimes when
Blue is a small cedar swamp I've been meaning to get closer too somehow but figured my preset stand was gravy for rut.
Green is oaks.
Red is beaten old highways u can see the size of the tree area to the right that is more open so I did not set up on it.
She came from the left intersecting orange trail went on the red trail in front of me and headed to the big pine trail where there's a scrape
buck came right after her practically. This is the only spot I've consistently hunted every year and haven't seen much but know there is deer. Also I'm not sure why maybe whitenoaks or hunting pressure but its a ghost town when snow hits. I've had deer come from all directions I can't figure em out really. Anyway hopefully I can get lucky even tho I blew it

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”