Weight

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Weight

Unread postby matt1336 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:22 am

To cut weight I’ve been using a heated vest instead of carrying layers. When it’s really cold I will bring boot covers. When it’s really really cold I’ll bring a heater body suit. You could probably leave the ozonics behind too if you’re worried about weight. Also beast sticks are way lighter than muddys. A beast stand or saddle will help cut weight too.

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:37 am

A Badlands Monster Lumbar pack is nice because you can fit a lot into it as well as let the bottom of the stand rest on the pack. This distributed weight more to your hips and off your shoulders...is basically serves as a lumbar belt for the treestand.

Unless your hunting all day I’d lose the thermos depending on how big it is. I hate not having water to drink (or coffee) but it does add a lot of weight. If your only doing a half day hunt or 2-3 hour sit you may be able to avoid a full thermos or water bottle.

I also always look for the lightest gear possible. Lightest knife, saw/pruners, light, and binos. All of these items have lightest vs heaviest options. May only be ounces but ounces add up.

Also, instead of boot covers you could put hand/toe warmers in your boots.
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
ajack

Unread postby ajack » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:08 am

My current set up is:

XOP Vanish EVO w/ Mollee shoulder straps and waist belt
3 Hawk Helium Sticks with 24" rope aiders, no-buckle straps
Waist pack with the follow:
knife
bow rope
small saw
range finder
tags, pen, zip ties
bow hanger
small gear hook
down vest the packs down to about the size of a fist
small drink (water or coffee depending)
(i'll start taking a grunt tube this weekend)
Climbing Harness with tree strap and linesmen rope attached to the accessory loops that I wear in

My issue is the weight and complexity really starts to increase once I have to start bringing layers. There's no way in I'm wearing my windproof or insulative layers walking in, or even climbing/setting up. I sweat enough already. I strap them to the stand but the weight really adds up when it's 20 degrees out. The mollee gear helps with comfort for sure. But it's still alot of effort to climb a few hundred feet in elevation with the weight.

I'm considering get an ASIS suit this year and leaving the heavy parka and pants at home and maybe even less layers. I'm just not sure how well it'll work on such a small stand. Anyone worn a big suit like that on a small stand? Does it inhibit standing to watch and shoot behind you?
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:30 am

The old backpackers is “Ounces is pounds..pounds is pain.” The more you carry the more it will hurt and the shorter your hunting excursions will be unless you specifically train for it during the summer months.

Jackson Marsh wrote:If a thermos helps keep you in the stand then bring a thermos. A hot cup of coffee tastes great when you get chilled. Sometimes I'll bring a thermos of hot water on afternoon sits if I don't want coffee. I usually don't bring a thermos but do occasionally and never regret it. I usually just strap a waist pack onto my stand with my ropes, rangefinder, water/food and tags. Ectra clothes get strapped to stand until everything is hung. Keep your pack small, otherwise you will fill it :lol:

When I am out during the gun season I often carry a small backpacking stove and titanium cup. The weight is about the same as a medium size thermos and it gives you a ton of flexibility. Coffee, tea cup of soup, ramen, even a mountain house meal. A hot beverage or meal on those all day December hunts makes a world of difference. You will still be on your stand when others are going to their cars to eat lunch and warm up.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Hawkeyebowhunter

Unread postby Hawkeyebowhunter » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 am

Crazinamatese wrote:Oh boy. Im not the type to tell people what they should do or how they should hunt but if you are a mobile hunter with the stuff you have you are gonna have a bad time. Maybe take things that are essential. IMO rattling antlers can stay home. Not sure about ozonics either.

Only things that wouldn't be essential there would be something to drink, the ozonics and according to you the rattling antlers. Those combined weigh less then 2 of the Muddy Pro climbing sticks I have.

Looking at the Beast sticks, just doesn't seem like they nest very well (I may be looking at them wrong too, haven't seen them in person).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”