Update on my ground game

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Uncle Lou

Update on my ground game

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:15 am

Well, it has been a while since I shared some hunting stuff and have been meaning to, just not much to report. But thought I would put this together so you all know I still hunt. The last five years my hunting has been less and less, and every year I say next year. Well this year I have hunted more in October than I have in about 5 or so years.

I ground hunt alot. I creep around the thickets looking for deer with my xbow. I have a small county park near me that I just have not been wearing out, I blame work, but there are so many inspiring people and stories on here I thought I would chronicle some. Now, I am not a big buck killer, more of a tag filler, but I enjoy looking for deer and shooting them. This little piece I hunt I have shot a doe/antlerless every year since 2017. Just that I didn't find the 2018 and 2019. So after getting skunked last year I said I am shooting the first thing that doesn't have spots to get something hanging.

This year I hunted our opener (10/1), first time in 14 years. And then made the next day as well because I saw three deer, two were bucks. I laid right down in a briar thicket in shooting distance of where I saw the two bucks on the opener in the rain.

This was my view, I was concealed.

view from my left, I had to keep poking my head up to see if anything was there and watch this view to see if anything was coming.

a pic coming back across the lake after sundown, thought it was cool pic so I took it.

Nothing showed, stupid deer. Fine freeze your but off this winter, I was there to help.

The following week I went in on the 7th, had a NW wind I was on the SW corner of a little swamp and crept in and sat on the ground with a good open area right off the swamp that allowed a 20-30 yard shot. About 6:40pm something to my east, I spun around and got in a catchers position and a doe popped out at 10 yards, had the safety off and ready to squeeze, but needed to rise up a couple inches to get clear, she bolted then snorted. It was pretty cool to be in shooting distance again that close.

So didn't get back out until 10/11 Sunday morning. East wind so I went to park the vehicle on the west side instead of take the canoe. Wasn't 50-100 yards from the truck and decided to dive off the trail into the woods. Heard something and thought, that wasn't a squirrel, 10 or so minutes from the truck and 1 minute after sunrise and I got a deer in front of me. Poor thing, wrong place wrong time.

First blood of 2020

Heard it crash after a loop in a thicket, and went in slow and easy. Got close and jumped a deer. Thought, not good because she snorted, the one I shot shouldn't be jumping and snorting, so I back out and do a big loop on the trails seeing if it crossed. Couldn't find any thing crossing with blood, so went back in and 20 yards from where I stopped, there it laid. Got up to it and rolled it over - a little button. Can't undo that. I had a tag and it was legal and I was hunting.

Felt good to get a deer.

So, I go get the truck and pick it up and it was a warmer day and I had the time so started butchering.
Got to have a bloody hand pic

I love when people show there organized work benches and garages, mine - not so much

So this Friday the 16th I am feeling back in the game. I go get another doe tag and back at it. This time south wind and back in the canoe. I come up the east side to the NE corner of the swamp where I had the doe on the 7th. Nothing showed. I crept in and got behind a blow down and had a clear 25-30 yd shot into a grassy opening in the swamp. Did have a squirrel making some racket right at dark, then it fell out of the tree. Thunk

Image.

Oh, Saturday I went in to look for my bolt/broadhead that I couldn't find last Sunday. It was an annihilator, I think it was $60 for a three pack and I was already down the one, I wanted it back. It was funny because Tim texted me and said he was on the road and to call. I said give me an hour I am in the woods looking for something. I almost gave up and then there it was. Found it. One piece steel just needs a little touch up. That is why I bought them, reusable with a little sharpening.

This is almost how far away from where I was parked, where I found it. I was down the hill a bit, but darn close to the truck where the little fella met his demise.

Went out again this morning, thinking Sundays were my thing. South wind, this time I drove to the parking lot and looped around and came in a thicket along a creek heading west. Couldn't believe I didn't see or bump anything but found a couple good ambush spots. I am feeling back in the game.

A little hemlock point in the thicket along the creek. I think out near the point will make a good all day sit in a couple weeks

Oh, I have to show my new lucky hat. I picked it up on Thursday. How can it not be a new lucky hat. My new SMOKE hat.

Okay, I took two selfies, which I rarely do, but wanted to get the sweatshirt in the pic

Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Re: Update on my ground game

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:30 am

Congrats Uncle Lou, good on you to break the ice and get back in the game.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:37 am

Looks like good times! :clap:
I live to release an arrow and watch woods grow into chaos and then grow quite as a mouse in just seconds.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:44 am

Congrats! Sounded like a honey of a time. Nice beanie
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:47 am

Thanks Ghost, A5, boogie. I feel that sometimes you need to clip something to get out of a drought and get your confidence up. They are not an endangered species and even a small deer is bigger than a rabbit, and people shoot those. Those steaks I made last night were delicious.

And yesterday I shot my best group ever with my longbow. I am going to keep shooting that too and see if I can take that out soon.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:51 am

Definitely making me hungry! GJ Uncle Lou !!
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm

:clap: i enjoyed reading that and the pictures aswell! Thanks for sharing.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:13 pm

Congrats Lou!

Great table fare and easy dragging make that a no brainer.

Beanie looks great....I always keep one in my back pocket while hunting.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Thanks Moose, Bridge, and Neil. Never know what posting a button is going to do on the BEAST, but hopefully I can inspire those who aren't at the big buck level yet- like me, who just like to hunt and be a part of it. The BEAST has always been a positive force for all hunting and a great learning tool for those wanting to take it to the next level.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:28 pm

Good stuff Lou!

I had my last three hunts off the ground. Too many branches in the way of the openings and totally skylined if not.

Kind of fun.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
ZSV
500 Club

Unread postby ZSV » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:41 pm

Congrats Lou! I put an antlerless tag on a young doe last year. Like JM said the easy drag was nice! Thanks for sharing.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:48 pm

Looks like a good start to the season!!!
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:49 pm

:clap:
hunting_dad
500 Club

Unread postby hunting_dad » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:49 pm

Congrats Lou! Sounds like some great hunts and some great pics to go along with them
crankn101
500 Club

Unread postby crankn101 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:47 pm

Now you need to shoot one right from the parking lot.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”