Tips for bringing a youngin along

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

westwind

Tips for bringing a youngin along

Unread postby westwind » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:05 am

I'm bringing my 7 year old nephew along with me this evening on a ground hunt. He's been begging for 3 years to come hunting with me, and I think he's probably old enough now to last for a ~2 hour sit.

I prepped a spot last weekend in a cluster of trees near a river crossing that leads into a private standing corn field. The plan is to tote my climber in with us, set it up 18" off the ground so his eye level can get somewhat even with mine, and then I'm gonna hang some burlap around us to cover our movement a bit. We're all of 150 yards off the road, so the walk shouldn't be too tough.

I've never brought along a young one with me, so I'd love to hear any of your guys experiences, tips, tricks, etc.

Ahawk116

Re: Tips for bringing a youngin along

Unread postby Ahawk116 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:13 am

I’ve got 3 little boys. Bring lots of good (quiet) snacks to pull out if he gets antsy. I’ll put powdered doughnuts in a container that’s quiet, or some other form of candy.
Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Acer18 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:13 am

A second vote for snacks. A good book may also buy you an extra hour. Most important imo is to let them dictate the hunt (in regards to time), you want them to enjoy it. My daughter has been out a few times on my fathers land with me (comfy 2 man ladder stands and box blinds) and I don’t think we’ve made it past 2 hours. She is only 5 this year. She continues to remind me almost daily that I haven’t taken Her hunting yet this year :shock: :lol: . I do plan to pick up a small stand or custom saddle for her next year that way we don’t have to drive 2 hours north to the family property take her out.

Also if he has a bow or BB gun let him bring it, my daughter really enjoyed a little shooting at the end of our morning hunts last year.

Lastly bravo to you for getting the kid out there :clap: The next generation is crucial for hunter recruitment. Even if they decide it’s not for them teaching kids how and why we hunt is critical for the sports future.
Mutt

Unread postby Mutt » Sat Oct 17, 2020 2:26 am

Took my 5yr old last year. He did good sitting quietly and kept himself busy with a cheep video game when he got bored.(we aren't big gamers, so a 5$ pre programed thing from menards was an awsome treat for him, and he was totally content for the 3 hrs it took to see a deer)We sat 4hrs in a ground blind. I brought him some chocolate milk and a snack. We had a bunch of does come into about 50yds. He was excited, but was moving around so much and so fast they picked us out almost immediately. It was no big deal to me, but I learned I have to teach him how to move when deer show up not just how to sit and wait for them.

If you got squirrels around you, pretend they are deer and practice moving to see them.
MuskieHunterDave
Facebook: can suck it.

Unread postby MuskieHunterDave » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:09 am

I've had all four of my kids out this year multiple times, ages 9 years to 2 years. The biggest thing is to be patient with your nephew. He's probably not used to sitting around doing nothing so long, so he's sure to get antsy. Understand that while he really wants to see deer, spending time out in the woods as "one of the guys" probably means the most to him. If you do see deer, or other wildlife, make a big deal out of it. You want them to understand hunting's not just about shooting deer.

I have enjoyed bringing a book along to read to the kids. You can get into some bigger books when you have 2 hours to read. If he hasn't read the Chronicles of Narnia yet, I'd start with those. I'm reading Lord of the Rings to my kids right now. Both great book series for sitting out in the woods!
Be still and know that I am God - Psalm 46:10
Bperdue21

Unread postby Bperdue21 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:38 am

I have been taking my oldest son since he was 6. I'm not too proud to say I used to let him bring his tablet to play on. This kept him occupied and I didn't get a million questions about where the deer were and when are we leaving lol. Snacks and drinks, especially something he really likes he doesn't get all the time. I always took deer jerky and he would pretty much eat it the whole time. I am generally very over expecting of what my kids can do. I may be able to see a deer so I think he can too, I can get the deer in the scope, so I think he can too. Well it don't exactly work that way LOL. So like they say, be patient with the kid, don't cuss at them like I have on multiple occasions on the stand when he can't find the deer or is taking way too long and I feel like the deer is about to run off. He is 12 now and has killed several deer including a 7 pointer last year. I think the main thing you need to do is get him out there and just make sure he has fun. If you get a deer great, if not at least he will want to hang out with you again.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:02 am

X4 on the quiet snacks and drinks. I'm currently out with my 9year old on first day of youth hunt. I'm the 1.5 hour we've been out here, this is what I forgot from last year.....he will move alot with every sound he hears, trying to check out what it is. He will ask with every sound what do you think it is. He will get bored, but also be has been counting all the "beautiful blue jays" that are in the trees nearby. He also counted there for a while how many acorns he could hear falling from these trees we're near. Right now he's bored out of his mind but he doesn't want to leave. It's his hunt so I want him to enjoy it as much as he wants to enjoy it. We're ground hunting, so before we sat down I showed him how to remove all the leaves in a 8ft circle down to bare dirt to keep us from making to much noise while he's moving or shifting positions. I've pointed out to him where I believe there might be a chance that deer approach our location from and we've made a game plan for his setting up his shot depending on where the deer might show up. Also again..... They forget they probably shouldn't talk so much. Lol. Best advice I can give you is to try it, enjoy it, but above all,. Make sure they enjoy it and think of how to make it better for them. This is the second year I take him out and he drew a controlled hunt for early next month so hopefully I can make it even better for him then.
The Mediocre Hunter

Unread postby The Mediocre Hunter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:03 am

X4 on the quiet snacks and drinks. I'm currently out with my 9year old on first day of youth hunt. I'm the 1.5 hour we've been out here, this is what I forgot from last year.....he will move alot with every sound he hears, trying to check out what it is. He will ask with every sound what do you think it is. He will get bored, but also be has been counting all the "beautiful blue jays" that are in the trees nearby. He also counted there for a while how many acorns he could hear falling from these trees we're near. Right now he's bored out of his mind but he doesn't want to leave. It's his hunt so I want him to enjoy it as much as he wants to enjoy it. We're ground hunting, so before we sat down I showed him how to remove all the leaves in a 8ft circle down to bare dirt to keep us from making to much noise while he's moving or shifting positions. I've pointed out to him where I believe there might be a chance that deer approach our location from and we've made a game plan for his setting up his shot depending on where the deer might show up. Also again..... They forget they probably shouldn't talk so much. Lol. Best advice I can give you is to try it, enjoy it, but above all,. Make sure they enjoy it and think of how to make it better for them. This is the second year I take him out and he drew a controlled hunt for early next month so hopefully I can make it even better for him then.
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:10 am

Really good info, I’ve been kicking around the idea of getting my 5 year out this year.
loganB85
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/brent.cannon.7

Unread postby loganB85 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 12:28 pm

1 snacks
2 drinks
3 blind
4 small bucket if you bring a little girl
5 toilet paper

My daughter is 9 and has been hunting with me at least one hunt every year for the past 3 years now. I just got her a HSS youth harness to try and get her a little elevated. I hung some steel stackable sticks, small ameristep hang on, and a lifeline in a gum tree in the back yard. I set the stand at about 8-10’ high for now. I’m letting her practice climbing/sliding prusik knot/getting into and out of the stand. Once she gets comfortable I’m gonna raise the stand up higher. Hopefully one day she will be confident being around 20’ high up the tree.
~L.B.C~
SneakyHunter

Unread postby SneakyHunter » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:19 pm

Be patient and don't expect peace and quiet. You want the kid to have fun any enjoy the outdoors, shushing them every minute isn't fun for anyone. Sitting quiet and patiently is a learned skill. The more kids hunt the better they get. Have fun and don't bring any electronics.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”