Historical trail cam data

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

brancher147
500 Club

Historical trail cam data

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 2:16 am

I am hoping to hear from folks who have used cameras from year to year to effectively pattern and kill a specific mature buck. I have heard people say they have used past years camera pics and had the same buck come through almost to the same day from year to year. Has anyone done this?
I have a piece of unpressured private ground with good bedding that I had 3 mature bucks on a cam in one day last year and wondering about the chance of it happening again or some tactics to try for that scenario. This happened within the next week of last year and I am thinking maybe there was an early estrous doe in the area. I have confirmed that the two biggest bucks are still around through summer trail cam pics but they have disappeared since velvet shed.

Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Re: Historical trail cam data

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:18 am

I have a camera in my backyard that I’ve run year round for the last four years. It’s over a water hole I made. There is a small herd in this area that basically has no hunting pressure in the core area. It’s a suburban area with no rifle hunting. Once or twice a year I’ll get a day where literally every buck I have on camera that year and a bunch I don’t have will show up. When I say every buck I mean from 10-15 bucks will be on that camera in a 6 hour period. I’m sure it’s because one of the does in the 5 or 6 in the herd is in estrous.

If that doe is still around she might be in estrous early this year too if that’s why they are there. It would probably be worth at least a sit.
Djp32

Unread postby Djp32 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:24 am

Sorry I don’t have the answer but I too I’m interested in hearing what some of you killers have to say. I tagged out on opening day last year so all I had were my cameras. I have lots of daylight pictures of bucks from halloween until around November 8. I have a bunch cameras out again in the same spots so we’ll see. Also I planned my week off for the first week in November and already made an “itinerary” up to hunt the spots with the best pictures from last year in each day. It makes me nervous to just hedge my bet on that alone and not sign but I am really interested in what I find out. I’m not sure sign is an end all be all this type of year. I hope that it is true especially since I’ve heard from lots of different respectable hunters through podcasts and what not.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Fri Oct 16, 2020 5:27 am

I would also guess a hot doe, who may be hot at the same timeframe this year.

These guys have some interesting content.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ff0b3mB5X ... bj&index=1

Link it to a preview of the series.
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 am

Well, I haven't killed him yet (im hoping this is the year), but i have a running 4 season history with a buck right now. He shows up every year in the same spot, same time of day, and within a couple days of the previous year. I pulled my chip from my trail camera this morning knowing that if this buck survived, and he stuck to his pattern, he should be on camera. Low and behold, there he was at 8pm on sunday evening. The first year i saw him was october 26, but the camera was in a different spot, so he may have been there already. 2 years ago, october 17th around 730 pm. Last year, october 13 a little after 7. And now i have him on cam at 8pm october 11. Im still working on where exactly he's hanging out. I only ever see him once or twice on the camera, and he doesn't leave much for sign. His only pattern ive been able to piece together is that he shows up middle october in the evenings for a period of about 2-3 weeks and then he's gone.
hoyt31786

Unread postby hoyt31786 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:57 pm

I have witnessed it when I used to guide at an outfitter and run alot of cameras. I personally haven't had farms long enough to build history with deer up until last 2 yrs and an starting to see it on that farm. I know alot of guys who believe this to be true and some great hunters. Thats why I think its important to always keep your pictures take notes ect. Here's a good article on it https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... %20premise.
Don Higgins has done some podcasts talking about this very topic and I've heard Dan mention it in podcasts as well!
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:47 pm

hoyt31786 wrote:I have witnessed it when I used to guide at an outfitter and run alot of cameras. I personally haven't had farms long enough to build history with deer up until last 2 yrs and an starting to see it on that farm. I know alot of guys who believe this to be true and some great hunters. Thats why I think its important to always keep your pictures take notes ect. Here's a good article on it https://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/ ... %20premise.
Don Higgins has done some podcasts talking about this very topic and I've heard Dan mention it in podcasts as well!

That is an interesting article. Thanks. I have had history with another big mature buck a few years ago and for 2 years he showed up around Nov 1 within 24 hours at a scrape and was fairly regular for a few weeks all at night and came from the same direction every time. I never really hunted him because it was really hard to get to and I had no idea where he was in daytime and I had other easier places to hunt with more deer. I heard rumor of a big buck getting killed in there that second year and he never showed up again.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”