Peeing from the tree?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
oldrank

Re: Peeing from the tree?

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:32 am

If you are mobile its not an issue. If you are playing the scentless game and hunting the same area over and over, i would not do it.

EllieTheChubb

Unread postby EllieTheChubb » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:38 am

Last Saturday morning I needed to do that thing that requires TP... not 30min later I shot a doe from the same tree.

I vote to let er fly!
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Wed Oct 14, 2020 10:54 am

Dewey wrote:
Wlog wrote:On a cold morning hunt after coffee I’d need a gallon jug! :lol:

You ain’t kidding. I drink a 20 oz mug and pee out at least 5x that. :lol:

I dont feel so bad now lol
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:27 am

I stopped carrying bottles when I went mobile. I do try to pee onto trees so its slightly quieter, or ill wait for a train to go by if I have the option.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:55 am

I've been watering trees since about 2006 when I stopped caring bottles.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:58 am

Never carried a bottle been watering trees since I started deer hunting.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:58 am

I just go.. Sometimes I don't even bother unzipping my pants. You can consider me Miles Davis
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:00 pm

tbunao wrote:I just go.. Sometimes I don't even bother unzipping my pants. You can consider me Miles Davis

:lol: Gross! Nice Billy Madison drop!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:26 pm

Cold days you also gotta worry about that string from your under armour bottoms getting in the way of your stream. Man, I had a freaking mess 2 years ago hitting that string and essentially soaking myself. Didnt know what was going on as I had so many layers on... all of a sudden I was like "why ain't I hearing this?"

Gosh what a mess.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:41 pm

I have never had an issue ever of deer reacting to urine from a tree. When I am coyote trapping in areas of high deer density i usually wont use Coyote urine at the set like I normally would as it seems like the deer will come to smell the coyote pee and unset my trap.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Wed Oct 14, 2020 1:57 pm

What interests me is, can your diet can affect the results. Ive eaten chorizo and my pee stinks, so can the deer smell predator behavior through your pee. If so I would be concerned that when playing the wind and thermals close from 20’ up. Peeing possible scent down could send it in a slightly off direction.
MNBrowTines

Unread postby MNBrowTines » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:04 pm

It’s funny, I just was talking about this with my brother after a hunt back in September on the morning of archery opener. Took a leak from the stand around 8:30-9am when I was convinced the deer I had on cam was back in bed somewhere else (or passed through before I arrived) and wasn’t showing. Just enjoying a beautiful morning on the first sit, not really expecting any more action. No more than 45 minutes later, a fork horn came by and walked right up to the base of my tree sniffing around. It eventually caught my scent, that it clearly recognized as dangerous and bounced off, but I swore that thing was actually trying get a closer whiff of the spot I peed. Told him jokingly that I’m going to drink extra coffee and hold it until I’m in the stand from now on (with some dominant buck and rut jokes).

I’m not concerned about sound or smell. Firing it into an empty Gatorade bottle with the tank full sounds a heck of a lot more unnatural out in the woods than running down the trunk. My scent is already pouring off of me downwind for as long as I’ve been there. If anything worth shooting is getting a nose full of my pee, it would’ve smelled me anyway. I’m guessing as it evaporates and breaks down into ammonia, etc, that smell hangs around less as an identifiable human danger scent than the odor you’re leaving in the ground with your clothes/boots.

I’m not arcing it up into the air willy nilly and going out of my way to go. But, if it’s to the point where I can’t sit still, I’m going down the tree.

Some old timers I grew up around swore by peeing in scrapes when you walk by one. One would even claim to climb down if nature called and he could see one from his stand.
wolfie729
500 Club

Unread postby wolfie729 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:46 pm

Let it rip!
Earn what’s never given.
Ishi Spirit

Unread postby Ishi Spirit » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:48 pm

I really hate it though when I dribble some on my shoe!
The Spirit Lives On
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Wed Oct 14, 2020 9:35 pm

NEVER... Waist good squirrel ammo... With that said, I have never noticed a bad reaction to urine from deer. It is possible they can tell if its meat eater urine because there is a difference in odor. However, if they get close enough to smell your urine, im pretty sure they smell your human scent that is 100 times more worrysome to a deer. I never hesitate to wash a random squirrel

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”