Public land... mishaps

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Swampzilla

Public land... mishaps

Unread postby Swampzilla » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:59 pm

Dans recent post “welcome to public land” put a smile on my face. Spending my entire hunting “career” in mid western michigan on public lands I’ve ran into many of the same things...

So that’s brings up my topic.. those of you that target public lands what are our crazy stories and struggles?! Dan shared a snippet of his and I want to hear yours.

Here’s mine... keep in mind all of the below happened in my one week off from work for deer hunting. I ended up deerless and pretty bent out of shape last season but looking back and watching that video I now smile.

1. Ran into the “how long have you been hunting here” hunter. A spot I frequent I ran into a very verbal and aggressive hunter that felt profanities would keep me from returning.

2. Next morning I went to a different spot that I had set up pre season.. that morning I couldn’t find my tree and picked another in the dark. At light up I realized my tree was laying on the ground from a lightening strike.

3. I decided to try a different location that same day of the lightening strike.. I get up in my tree and hear what I believe is rut activity as “deer chase” my direction. I get my bow in my hand and pictures of the Michigan booner chasing does are running through my mind. As the chase gets closer my heart is racing... then I see it’s a guy chasing his loose horse. They pass at 30 yards and all the neighbors take to the woods helping the guy catch his horse.... I had that 80 acres of public to myself that day... so I thought.

<DK>
500 Club

Re: Public land... mishaps

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:50 am

I got a spot that I know big bucks are but haven't gotten lucky yet. Idk what the landowner next door does but every time I hunt it sounds like he grades his driveway... His dogs bark like crazy too, at least 3-4 of them too. Every year and every time :lol:

Its the most anticipated and dumbest sits I can think of. I always see deer tho and they never really pay much attention to him. Ill have to drive around and see what he is up to.
Swampzilla

Unread postby Swampzilla » Tue Oct 13, 2020 6:46 am

<DK> wrote:I got a spot that I know big bucks are but haven't gotten lucky yet. Idk what the landowner next door does but every time I hunt it sounds like he grades his driveway... His dogs bark like crazy too, at least 3-4 of them too. Every year and every time :lol:

Its the most anticipated and dumbest sits I can think of. I always see deer tho and they never really pay much attention to him. Ill have to drive around and see what he is up to.

Land owner see your car and playing games? I had a property I use to hunt and the neighboring land owner would decide to take his grand kids for a nature walk in the public every time He saw my truck... sad part was I could hear the kids asking grandpa “why are you having us step on sticks” :D man you gotta love public!
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:06 am

Swampzilla wrote:
<DK> wrote:I got a spot that I know big bucks are but haven't gotten lucky yet. Idk what the landowner next door does but every time I hunt it sounds like he grades his driveway... His dogs bark like crazy too, at least 3-4 of them too. Every year and every time :lol:

Land owner see your car and playing games? I had a property I use to hunt and the neighboring land owner would decide to take his grand kids for a nature walk in the public every time He saw my truck... sad part was I could hear the kids asking grandpa “why are you having us step on sticks” :D man you gotta love public!

No he sure cant see my car, that would be the easy answer lol Its over a mile in. Iv tried every type of condition amd weekday so ill have to drive over there to see whats up.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Tue Oct 13, 2020 10:21 pm

This isn't just the landowners - the other hunters are often the worst. Bunch of babies out there - it's public, if you want a private spot get permission somewhere, buy some land, join a lease. Or suck it up and hunt with the rest of us.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:16 am

Been fortunate to only run into good people on public, I alwasy say hi first so they seem nice, maybe they are swearing under their breathe? :lol:

Also saw a guy with a decal "Public Land Owner" on his truck the other day, which one of you guys was that? ;)
1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:38 am

I’ve heard a lot of crazy stories but I never ran into much trouble. I will say one night I got in my tree and had a boat pull in real close. The wind was calm and these guys were loud. I don’t remember what they were saying but they weren’t hunting. I wanted to get down and give em the ole what for, or just bail. The hunt was shot. Anyways they eventually took off and I held tight even though I thought my hunt was surely over. Then the buck I had been after came cruising through and I shot him. Here I thought those guys wrecked my night.
don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
Swampzilla

Unread postby Swampzilla » Wed Oct 14, 2020 6:04 am

In my experience I have ran into the most issues with aggressive fellow public land hunters on the smaller 30-60 acre parcels. They try to “own” them and run others off my acting like a fool.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 4:07 pm

I shot at a buck last Friday right at closing time, I was unsure of the hit so i backed out and returned at day break on Saturday morning. I head into the woods and get about 1/4 mile from the parking lot and right there on the walking path are 2 guys in the biggest pop-up ground blind i have seen, both with crossbows. I apologized as I walked by, one guy said "no problem".

I walk out at about 11am and the 2 ground blind hunters are walking out in front of me. Another guy at the parking lot asks if we saw anything and one of the ground blind hunters replies "No, cause this A-hole (referring to me) came walking in at 7am and blew our spot." I wanted to tell him to F-off but I didnt say a word. Amazing how people dont want to be disturbed by others and get upset when someone walks thru their set, but yet they setup ON THE WALKING PATH 1/4 mile form the parking lot....i dont get it
what one man can do another can do
Swampzilla

Unread postby Swampzilla » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:28 am

fenderbender62 wrote:I shot at a buck last Friday right at closing time, I was unsure of the hit so i backed out and returned at day break on Saturday morning. I head into the woods and get about 1/4 mile from the parking lot and right there on the walking path are 2 guys in the biggest pop-up ground blind i have seen, both with crossbows. I apologized as I walked by, one guy said "no problem".

I walk out at about 11am and the 2 ground blind hunters are walking out in front of me. Another guy at the parking lot asks if we saw anything and one of the ground blind hunters replies "No, cause this A-hole (referring to me) came walking in at 7am and blew our spot." I wanted to tell him to F-off but I didnt say a word. Amazing how people dont want to be disturbed by others and get upset when someone walks thru their set, but yet they setup ON THE WALKING PATH 1/4 mile form the parking lot....i dont get it

I can understand that frustration! I am trying to be as mobile as possible this year but keep getting to spots at noon or 1 pm with guys already in the woods hunting. I keep on driving but end up sitting a preset location because I lose so much time trying to be respectful. Torn on if I need to get the “this is public and they can’t complain” attitude or if I am doing the right thing by continuing to drive on.

Michigan license sales are already up 28% over last year... I am seeing it on the public first hand.
fenderbender62

Unread postby fenderbender62 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 3:13 pm

In my opinion, if you walk into a spot of interest and someone else is there already, show respect and back out.

Now, if you are heading into a spot of interest and someone is setup a 1/4 mile in, and your going 1/2, or 3/4 mile in, keep trucking.
what one man can do another can do
Beefedmydrawers

Unread postby Beefedmydrawers » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:11 am

A few years back I had spotted a large bachelor group of bucks (8-12) feeding in a green bean field In daylight on public land in late August. If the wind was right I could slip in and glass these deer from a distance without being detected. There were a couple giants in this group and all I could think about was how to get in to get a shot. I determined the only way I could get in close was with a SE wind. Opening morning rolled around and I wake up to a NW wind so I went to plan B, which was a wooded draw in the same general area, from the aerials and summer scouting I could see a fence line with a beat down deer trail where they it looks like every deer in the area was crossing. I slipped in early morning set up where the wooded draw funneled up to the fence crossing. About an hour after shooting hours opened I heard a big body coming thru a thicket about 20 yds from me. My heart starts pounding in my ears, I ready my bow and out walks a sheep, then another and another. It turns out the farmer adjacent to the public land was grazing his sheep herd down in this draw and the fence crossing I thought was a slam dunk was where is sheep were entering the draw.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hunter_mike

Unread postby hunter_mike » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:27 am

was finding some of the biggest buck tracks i ever saw on the edge of a field. The next night i went out shining and standing out in the field where i found the tracks was a loose heifer.
“The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried.”
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:17 am

hunter_mike wrote:was finding some of the biggest buck tracks i ever saw on the edge of a field. The next night i went out shining and standing out in the field where i found the tracks was a loose heifer.

I had that happen before. :doh: The joys of hunting marsh adjacent to farm land.

A few weeks ago I found some trophy buck droppings.

Horse apples. :lol:

Boogie still gets a laugh out of the time I had beavers come out of a wet prime buck bedding area. I though for sure a big one was coming. :lol:
Buckinator

Unread postby Buckinator » Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:23 am

I just went in for a sit last night after work. A spot I thought was overlooked and has good sign coming out most every season and I've narrowed it down to the last two weeks of october. I mean its not far off the main trail where everyone and their dog walks by.
I'm a bit late getting to the public and there is one other truck there. I have high hopes. I get back to the area and there is a guy in a tree maybe 75 yards back from where I was going to setup. I'm a bit late so I concede the area to him and back out and setup plan B. I have one doe come by about 30-40 yards after dark while packing up that he most likely kicked up. I had my headlamp on and everything and the doe never busted out.
Anyways I meet up with the guy on the main trail, turns out he's a local warden and he shows me some of the nice bucks he's got on camera back there, what time and part of the season they have been most active, tells me where he heard a buck making a scrape (right where I was headed) What was a mishap turned into a wealth of information and a new facebook friend. It being my first sit and running late I may have blown the area out. Next right wind I'm back in there...ahead of schedule.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”