Chance it or not go - thermals/wind

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Chance it or not go - thermals/wind

Unread postby mheichelbech » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:47 am

How many times have you had situations where you knew the thermals or wind had a good chance of getting you busted and you decided to sit there anyways? How has it worked out?

Since I have come to recognize those things as problems I have to say probably 75% of the time I’ve either been busted or didn’t see any deer (likely busted and didn’t know it).

It’s tough sometimes as there are spots I really want to hunt and the conditions dictate that I shouldn’t hunt them. I’ve learned the hard way that it’s best to pass unless there is an alternative place to sit in the area.

"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
Dewey

Re: Chance it or not go - thermals/wind

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:04 am

I know that feeling. The last two days I started out with a consistent wind but then went light and variable at primetime. Combined with falling thermals it’s been tough in the hills. My milkweed has been going completely mental. Looks like tonight and tomorrow will be much of the same. Give me a stronger steady wind any day. Light and variable is tough no matter how you approach it. Deer don’t like it either and are really on the edge losing the scent advantage. Pretty frustrating knowing your burning good spots but it’s all part of the game and all you can do is adapt to it and try to make it work somehow. When I’m hunting out of state skipping a day of hunting isn’t an option.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:38 am

For me the situation you describe happens quite frequently on evening hunts. I be good all day with wind but come prime time when the thermals drop things start looking “iffy”. Other times I will go in just b4 prime time with a bad wind but set up for the thermal. Both cases have cost me several bucks but on the other hand it’s got me a few too. It’s tough to find a good spot, with safe entry, good stable wind and thermal in your favor. I pick my poison and give it my best crack.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:46 am

I have learned the hard way too many times...if the wind/thermals are not right you gotta move or get out of there.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
naternate

Unread postby naternate » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:23 pm

Happened to me the other night. Spent 2 hours stalking in to a stand within 80 yrds of buck bedding. Very light to almost no wind so I was checking thermals with milkweed constantly. Steps at a time because no wind to hide the noise. Would get swirls on the way in but I made a choice with limited days to hunt I would chance it. Got all set up and about 20 mins later the only gust of the night heads straight to the beds. As I release some milkweed, a deer crashes off from bedding. I knew there was the chance I could get busted but I made a calculated decision to just go ahead. In my mind you have to balance the risk and reward. The spot I was hunting is a bed to alfalfa feed pattern that Is going to go away soon so I felt benefit outweighed risk. Different situation I might have made a different decision
camelcluch
500 Club

Unread postby camelcluch » Sun Oct 04, 2020 3:41 pm

It a situational choice for me. Am I hunting last day, traveling or something that would limit my hunting? With these I usually push. If I have time and knowledge I would hold back.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:05 pm

I grew up hunting a farm that had very reliable thermals.

The bucks rarely walked straight upwind (uphill) in the evenings or straight downhill in the mornings after the thermals changed - they used to wait at the top of the hill for the thermals to change before heading to bedding.

The deer would angle up and down the hills and that, I'm sure most do. So, there has to be a spot where a guy can set up and be off wind.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”