Are you hunting your target

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

To hunt when it’s slow or not?

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 34
Burningbootleather

Are you hunting your target

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Fri Oct 02, 2020 10:26 am

Are you hunting your target deer during the “lull” in movement?

Elite
500 Club

Re: Are you hunting your target

Unread postby Elite » Fri Oct 02, 2020 1:23 pm

I didn't vote because I have two targets both are 6.5-one is on public-other on private. The public buck I have hunted 3-4 times with no luck. I am putting more pressure on him since he's on public.
I hunted the private buck once the day after he was daylight active but he showed up 45 minutes too late after legal. I haven't hunted him since. I will wait until cold fronts, daylight activity or the rut.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Fri Oct 02, 2020 4:43 pm

The biggest public land buck I’ve encountered since I started using Beast tactics took place during “the lull.”

Pre-Beast, I had a 3 strait seasons where I didn’t see a deer from stand anywhere from 3-5 hunts in a row during the lull.

I haven’t experienced a lull at all since using Dan’s tactics. To me mid October means things are heating up. :L: If I know where my target buck is bedding, there’s not a day in the season that I wouldn’t go after him with confidence.
mbone1327

Unread postby mbone1327 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:39 pm

If I have the right wind and I have an idea where he is bedding at this time of year then absolutely. I'm also hunting other spots too so my time isnt completely dedicated to my targets. That's me though I like to put meat in the freezer and racks on the wall.
Rich M
500 Club

Unread postby Rich M » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:14 am

I don't think there is a lull - the deer stop the highly visible summer movement and start being deer again. Then comes the rut and they run around more. Maybe this lull thing is just when deer act normal and the other times are high movement times.
megavites

Unread postby megavites » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:49 am

for the 1st time..I plan on using my knowledge of Beast tactics and hunt closer to his bedding.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:30 am

I voted no cause I don’t have a target buck. I have lots of targets and some bucks that I have not yet seen that are targets. I like options and odds. Hunting 1 particular buck has always done me dirty. I don’t get very gung ho during October. Heck, I haven’t even purchased my license yet. But I rely on pure luck to be sitting there when one walks by.
Life is hard; It’s even harder if you are stupid.
-John Wayne-
UntouchableNess
500 Club

Unread postby UntouchableNess » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:35 am

Plan on going after one of my target bucks this weekend. Might shift to another buck if I don't get on the one I'm targeting this weekend. Got a couple of bucks I'd like to see from the stand, not limiting my options, each is cool in their own way. One is palmated, one has split G2's and the third is large typical 10 point.
MichiganMike
500 Club

Unread postby MichiganMike » Sat Oct 03, 2020 2:47 am

I think the "lull" is a term that was coined by non "beast style" hunters that hunt open hardwoods or low percentage spots. there is definitely a lull hunting those areas.
HeadHunting

Unread postby HeadHunting » Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:59 am

Look, I am by no means a veteran of beast style tactics but in my understanding of the theory of it, if you use the tactics involved with hunting your target deer or mature deer, then there really shouldn't be a "lull" period. In another disclaimer, I am not a wildlife biologist either, following many conversations and theories on deer movement and biology, the most mature of deer tend to isolate themselves earlier than other bucks. Even if you get field pictures of them hanging in a bachelor group, they tend to bed isolated. I think this is because they sense and understand the shift in seasons and daylight, more so than younger bucks/deer and have the life experience of what is to come. Deer have a gland in the top of their heads that are photosensitive, this is what triggers them biologically to produce more testosterone and the hardening of their antlers. I believe this shift in daylight creates a shift in their tactics in the woods and how they use the area. Deer and specifically mature bucks use the woods 24/7/365 and know every twist, turn and crevice. They also know when we create a shift in the season, and begin hunting and pressuring them. Mature bucks are going to pick up on this much earlier than the other deer. I believe the "lull" that most people feel and report is that shift of bucks moving deeper into cover because of hunting pressure and the fact that most hunters are relying on their previous data, mostly trail cam pics, and hunting areas based on that data and not current data/sign.

Beast tactics drives a hunter to look for the "hot" sign and then relate that to bedding where these larger bucks are hanging because of the lack of human scent/pressure. Under those tactics you should be able to hunt your target deer during the infamous lull period and further all season with slight modifications as things in the woods change.
Head
Jrdeerhuntr

Unread postby Jrdeerhuntr » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:06 am

I am not beasty enough yet to be able and until a certain buck so I answered no. I do have one public piece I know of 4 bucks i would shoot, however it was a random piece I found during turkey season and did not do any winter scouting on it. I only recently learned it was holding these nicer deer. I am have been nervous to dive into as the winds have not been what i have wanted yet. I am guessing I will hit the piece a little harder toward the end of the month. This is my 2nd year of beast style and the confidence continues to grow. The pieces are starting to click, but I am not there yet.
Sailfish_WC
500 Club

Unread postby Sailfish_WC » Sat Oct 03, 2020 4:28 am

Good luck to everyone.

I don’t have a target, just hunt.
Sailfish_WC <-- Deer watcher
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:00 am

There is a “lull” in deer movement. The way you hunt does not change the way deer move. You’re just changing your tactics around to cope for this lowered movement.

Also saying that there is no lull in deer movement because deer start being deer again by not moving as much as they do the rest of the year is..well.. saying there is a lull in movement
Last edited by Burningbootleather on Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Burningbootleather

Unread postby Burningbootleather » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:02 am

“Beast” style or not I’m just curious who likes to keep the pressure low on their number one target deer.
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sat Oct 03, 2020 7:41 am

Some good stuff here on the perceived "lull". https://www.deer.psu.edu/october-lull-take-2/

I think that most of the perceived "lull" comes from overhunting stands and not keeping up with the changes of what the primary feed is. Deer's primary food source shifts alot in the fall as food sources become available/exhausted and the effects of hunting pressure causing deer to change their patterns.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”