Mornings for Observations?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
NorthStar
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37

Mornings for Observations?

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:08 am

Has anyone had any luck using morning sits as a way to observe deer? Has anyone had luck with seeing mature bucks headed back to bed and came up with a plan to hunt that deer in the evening?

I have most mornings free until about 8am and I was thinking about changing my approach from hunting mode to observing mode, but wasn't sure if this was a good tactic or not...

"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."
<DK>
500 Club

Re: Mornings for Observations?

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 9:57 am

For me, that would strictly be terrain or property or even bed based. Are there areas to actually observe anything? Is there a break somewhere like a power line or open bottom to catch a glimpse and get out cleanly? Timber and thick vegetation is not going to be easy... Maybe for a special situation it would be a good idea

Otherwise (outside of the rut), id say a lot of my morning hunts are 'Stage Hunting' or history based. Getting busted or hearing them travel thru pre-dawn or seeing something to adjust to. Or just setting up in travel corridors to preserve the bedding and try to gather intel/observe.

Maybe a better job suited for a trail cam though. Buy some cheap cams, go drop them for a week or two, check them in your morning free time while hunting for 2 hours. I have a tough time with cams and consistent morning entry pics though. Its tough to find that sweet spot entry for every single bedding area. Sometimes it takes me a few seasons to even get that intel. This year I am running 2 cams on the same tree watching both sides. Well see what comes of it.

Be aware though - 8am I would expect to run into deer while climbing down or walking out. Especially does or young bucks. Getting out clean would be very important to me. Also everyday youre losing a minute of daylight, so as Oct goes on youll have less time be out. Oct 15th first light will be 6:45. Right about that time ill see them still with other bucks but start running late more often and be able to catch glimpses in open areas. Take your binos, you would be surprised how well you can see in very dim light.

I honestly dont know the right thing to say... Go for it, smoke a booner and do a write up haha
NorthStar
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/nick.backlund.37

Unread postby NorthStar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:07 am

<DK> wrote:For me, that would strictly be terrain or property or even bed based. Are there areas to actually observe anything? Is there a break somewhere like a power line or open bottom to catch a glimpse and get out cleanly? Timber and thick vegetation is not going to be easy... Maybe for a special situation it would be a good idea

Otherwise (outside of the rut), id say a lot of my morning hunts are 'Stage Hunting' or history based. Getting busted or hearing them travel thru pre-dawn or seeing something to adjust to. Or just setting up in travel corridors to preserve the bedding and try to gather intel/observe.

Maybe a better job suited for a trail cam though. Buy some cheap cams, go drop them for a week or two, check them in your morning free time while hunting for 2 hours. I have a tough time with cams and consistent morning entry pics though. Its tough to find that sweet spot entry for every single bedding area. Sometimes it takes me a few seasons to even get that intel. This year I am running 2 cams on the same tree watching both sides. Well see what comes of it.

Be aware though - 8am I would expect to run into deer while climbing down or walking out. Especially does or young bucks. Getting out clean would be very important to me. Also everyday youre losing a minute of daylight, so as Oct goes on youll have less time be out. Oct 15th first light will be 6:45. Right about that time ill see them still with other bucks but start running late more often and be able to catch glimpses in open areas. Take your binos, you would be surprised how well you can see in very dim light.

I honestly dont know the right thing to say... Go for it, smoke a booner and do a write up haha

Great reply! I should also mention that I am purposefully hunting areas that I have no intel on and that I feel get overlooked by other hunters. So I am not too concerned with bumping deer or stinking an area up. Maybe I will just plan to stay on the ground and do a little scouting once it gets light enough out as opposed to trying to set up a stand in the dark just for an observation sit. I just don't want to waste this valuable time that has been made available to me!
"Successful hunts are not measured in kills and encounters. They are measured by the new knowledge you have gained."
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:49 am

NorthStar wrote:
<DK> wrote:For me, that would strictly be terrain or property or even bed based. Are there areas to actually observe anything? Is there a break somewhere like a power line or open bottom to catch a glimpse and get out cleanly? Timber and thick vegetation is not going to be easy... Maybe for a special situation it would be a good idea

Great reply! I should also mention that I am purposefully hunting areas that I have no intel on and that I feel get overlooked by other hunters. So I am not too concerned with bumping deer or stinking an area up. Maybe I will just plan to stay on the ground and do a little scouting once it gets light enough out as opposed to trying to set up a stand in the dark just for an observation sit. I just don't want to waste this valuable time that has been made available to me!

Then I would go for broke! Id be meticulous w my mapping, setup right in or below suspected bedding and take my lumps. Id go in early, bright white flash light in the timber looking for sign as I walk, choosing safe trees to hunt from. Locating sign is very unlikely like that but 1 track crossing a creek bottom or a large rub racing up hill towards bedding would something id setup on immediately. If I spooked one bedded that early then id suspect its a big buck or a food source. All learning on the fly for future setups.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”