Finding a target bucks bedding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
TriStateBowHunter

Finding a target bucks bedding

Unread postby TriStateBowHunter » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:34 am

What tactics do you guys use to find a deers bedding? There are 3-4 general areas I believe my target buck is bedding. One is a few year old clear cut about 150 yards from where I have pics of him on corn pile (Usually last light or night). The other ones are different timber patches with oaks, one bordering a horse farm across a lightly traveled road. I have a flexible schedule working remotely ,so I am able to hunt a lot now. Any tips or insight on where/ how to see where he is bedding to increase chance of daytime sightings? thanks

also this is southern Ohio, of some rolling hills and farm country. closest ag field is a corn field about 1.5-2 miles away. no beans near either

Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Re: Finding a target bucks bedding

Unread postby Zephyrus » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:49 pm

If he hits the corn at last light, he us bedding nearby. Can you sit far away and watch the bait pile, see where he comes from?
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
TriStateBowHunter

Unread postby TriStateBowHunter » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:24 am

The topography of the field makes it difficult, I can sit and observe it. It would be kind of close however, maybe 80 yards or so. I have done that , and have not seen him. Is it worth going in and pulling the camera or would that just cause him to show up later? Luckily, with different winds I could hunt any of the bordering timber around the field.
JakeB
500 Club

Unread postby JakeB » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:34 am

TriStateBowHunter wrote:The topography of the field makes it difficult, I can sit and observe it. It would be kind of close however, maybe 80 yards or so. I have done that , and have not seen him. Is it worth going in and pulling the camera or would that just cause him to show up later? Luckily, with different winds I could hunt any of the bordering timber around the field.

When you say the topography makes you have to be near by to see him, I’m assuming that it’s a rolling hill and he’s coming out near the bottom of one. Something to keep in mind if this is indeed the case is in the evenings your thermals will be falling downhill towards where he is coming into the field and he’s able to smell everything higher then him.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:49 am

Check out Dans chasing down a dream video.
Sometimes you just gotta throw sits.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
Zephyrus
Facebook: Jason L Anderson

Unread postby Zephyrus » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:24 am

JakeB wrote:When you say the topography makes you have to be near by to see him, I’m assuming that it’s a rolling hill and he’s coming out near the bottom of one. Something to keep in mind if this is indeed the case is in the evenings your thermals will be falling downhill towards where he is coming into the field and he’s able to smell everything higher then him.

This right here is spot on.

In farm country, look for the high spots and the low spots. See if you can see where he has a height/smell advantage. The nose knows... if you have to guess - i would assume bedding gives him scent advantage and a visual advantage - possibly bedding high to have thermals in favor all day, and a view for movement- then walk out into the field when the scents pool low. Maybe you can guess a bedding area and a trail to the low spot...
I welcome constructive criticism to any of my comments, because Knowledge is Power!
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Fri Oct 02, 2020 12:47 am

I've seen this in spring scouting. Buck tracks in the snow in the field led into the woods and about 25 yards in, the buck was bedding on the leeward wind side of the hill.
TriStateBowHunter

Unread postby TriStateBowHunter » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:57 am

Thank you everyone, these have all been super helpful.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”