Spotting Scopes for Glassing

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PAbowhunter10

Spotting Scopes for Glassing

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:38 pm

Hey beast family, I have never owned a spotting scope and am interested to hear some recommendations. I understand that they can get very expensive but I am willing to pay for something that I will be able to use for many many years. Currently, I want one for glassing whitetails in the summer in my home state of PA. Someday I would like to get out West as well and would use it there. How about providing some feedback on a good high end scope as well as a good mid-level scope just to see what kind of money I’m looking at. Thanks guys!

Bigburner

Re: Spotting Scopes for Glassing

Unread postby Bigburner » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:34 am

Im looking to do the same. Ive been looking into some of the vortex middle of the road models but we will see. Lockdown said something in his podcast that I've always had a tendency to stick by myself and he referred to it specifically to a spotting scope "buy once cry once" . Also I would look around for maybe a used one. You may be able to scoop up a really nice one that someone is unloading. let us know how you make out.
Montani Semper Liberi
Instagram @formationoutdoors
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:59 am

Bigburner wrote:Im looking to do the same. Ive been looking into some of the vortex middle of the road models but we will see. Lockdown said something in his podcast that I've always had a tendency to stick by myself and he referred to it specifically to a spotting scope "buy once cry once" . Also I would look around for maybe a used one. You may be able to scoop up a really nice one that someone is unloading. let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the advise. I have a nice a pair of vortex bino’s and they are very reliable. I was planning to check out vortex first and continue my search from there. I wish I could be like Lockdown and find a really nice scope at a garage sale or auction for dirt cheap. I just don’t have the time to be bouncing around to every local sale. Plus it’s like finding a needle in a haystack.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:08 am

It's hard to beat vortex. I've had a Razor for 5 or 6 years now. This year, I noticed some black spots in the glass, like the coatings were coming off. I called Vortex up, explained the situation, had a shipping labeled emailed to me in less than 10 minutes, hardly any questions asked. I mailed it in and had it back in about 15 days, and it was good as new. Super hassle free process.

I do think zeiss, meopta, and swarovski all have great glass too, probably all a little better than vortex, but not the same level of warranty.

On the "buy once, cry once" I couldn't agree more on the spotter. If a guy does mostly glassing from the truck, an occasional western trip, it should literally last a lifetime, or close too it.
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:11 am

I'm interested in a spotting scope myself. I'm drawn to Vortex because from what I understand they have a great warranty and customer service. And their headquarters are in southern WI. I need to learn about the power of the scope to determine which is best for me though. I think I'll eventually get a 400-500 dollar range scope eventually.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:18 am

seazofcheeze wrote:It's hard to beat vortex. I've had a Razor for 5 or 6 years now. This year, I noticed some black spots in the glass, like the coatings were coming off. I called Vortex up, explained the situation, had a shipping labeled emailed to me in less than 10 minutes, hardly any questions asked. I mailed it in and had it back in about 15 days, and it was good as new. Super hassle free process.

I do think zeiss, meopta, and swarovski all have great glass too, probably all a little better than vortex, but not the same level of warranty.

On the "buy once, cry once" I couldn't agree more on the spotter. If a guy does mostly glassing from the truck, an occasional western trip, it should literally last a lifetime, or close too it.

I had a buddy run over his vortex bino’s. Sent it into vortex and got them replaced for free. With that kind of warranty it’s hard to look at other brands. The only thing that bugs me is that they are made in China. But what isn’t anymore...
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:20 am

First figure out if a straight or angled spotter is right for you. More glassing from the vehicle=straight, more glassing in the field=angled. I have a straight 85mm vortex viper and I don't see myself having to upgrade maybe ever, its good glass and enough power. Vortex is great for the money, the warranty is excellent and the customer service is good.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:27 am

jmaas07 wrote:First figure out if a straight or angled spotter is right for you. More glassing from the vehicle=straight, more glassing in the field=angled. I have a straight 85mm vortex viper and I don't see myself having to upgrade maybe ever, its good glass and enough power. Vortex is great for the money, the warranty is excellent and the customer service is good.

Thanks for the advise. Didn’t even think about straight vs angled. Probably will be doing a lot of spotting from truck so will probably end up with straight. Does vortex sell the accessories too, such as tripod and window mounts?
jmaas07
500 Club

Unread postby jmaas07 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 1:48 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:
jmaas07 wrote:First figure out if a straight or angled spotter is right for you. More glassing from the vehicle=straight, more glassing in the field=angled. I have a straight 85mm vortex viper and I don't see myself having to upgrade maybe ever, its good glass and enough power. Vortex is great for the money, the warranty is excellent and the customer service is good.

Thanks for the advise. Didn’t even think about straight vs angled. Probably will be doing a lot of spotting from truck so will probably end up with straight. Does vortex sell the accessories too, such as tripod and window mounts?

They do but you should check out the amazon link in seazofcheezes website for the vanguard window mount (think he's got a link in his signature). I have that mount and it is really nice, the quick connect plate makes things easy and the mounts overall functionality is great. You can get a vanguard tripod with the same plate too
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:10 am

Picking glass is always tricky. Rokslide forum has an active group who buy a huge variety of price range.

Middle price range right now has the Athlon Ares as the best bang for buck in 65 mm diameter. Around 450-500.

Angled or straight is personal preference.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 3:15 am

justdirtyfun wrote:Picking glass is always tricky. Rokslide forum has an active group who buy a huge variety of price range.

Middle price range right now has the Athlon Ares as the best bang for buck in 65 mm diameter. Around 450-500.

Angled or straight is personal preference.

I have a buddy who does a lot of western trips for elk and mule deer, and he loves Rokslide Forum for good info and reviews on gear. Thanks for the advise.
Prairie Sasquatch
500 Club

Unread postby Prairie Sasquatch » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 am

I have the vortex razor HD 16-48 65 spotting scope. It’s decent glass however it’s not as good as Swarovski or Zeiss as I have friends with that glass. One thing to think about is the trade off of size vs weight. Big glass gets heavy to cart around. My buddy has big heavy glass and is buying a smaller spotter as he’s tired of the weight. We hunt wide open areas and have to lug the stuff around. I like the size and of my 16-48

The warranty on vortex is great. I have vortex razor HD 10x42 Bino’s and I really like them.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:06 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:
Bigburner wrote:Im looking to do the same. Ive been looking into some of the vortex middle of the road models but we will see. Lockdown said something in his podcast that I've always had a tendency to stick by myself and he referred to it specifically to a spotting scope "buy once cry once" . Also I would look around for maybe a used one. You may be able to scoop up a really nice one that someone is unloading. let us know how you make out.

Thanks for the advise. I have a nice a pair of vortex bino’s and they are very reliable. I was planning to check out vortex first and continue my search from there. I wish I could be like Lockdown and find a really nice scope at a garage sale or auction for dirt cheap. I just don’t have the time to be bouncing around to every local sale. Plus it’s like finding a needle in a haystack.

My boss’ friend was selling his Vortex a couple months ago. Not sure if he found a buyer? I will check for you. It was in excellent shape.

My buddy Tyler has a Vortex and it is a nice spotter. His is angled and it has some cool features.

It takes extreme luck to find a deal like mine. The only reason I was at that auction was because my Dad wanted to buy some pipe gates that were consigned, and he had to work. The guy never showed with the gates but I came across that box while I was waiting.

I’ll admit when I figured out that scope was in there I didn’t leave it on top :lol:

There was 5 gutting knives, a couple hundred shotgun shells (4 buck, lead upland load, steel waterfowl load, and 12 & 20 gauge slugs). Also a shotgun cleaning kit and a shell belt, old pair of bumps and a few other things and of course the Leupold spotter. Bought the whole box for $80 and sold one of the knives for $10 before I left :lol: :lol: :lol: it was one of the highlights of my life so far
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:16 am

Lockdown wrote:
PAbowhunter10 wrote:

My boss’ friend was selling his Vortex a couple months ago. Not sure if he found a buyer? I will check for you. It was in excellent shape.

My buddy Tyler has a Vortex and it is a nice spotter. His is angled and it has some cool features.

It takes extreme luck to find a deal like mine. The only reason I was at that auction was because my Dad wanted to buy some pipe gates that were consigned, and he had to work. The guy never showed with the gates but I came across that box while I was waiting.

I’ll admit when I figured out that scope was in there I didn’t leave it on top :lol:

There was 5 gutting knives, a couple hundred shotgun shells (4 buck, lead upland load, steel waterfowl load, and 12 & 20 gauge slugs). Also a shotgun cleaning kit and a shell belt, old pair of bumps and a few other things and of course the Leupold spotter. Bought the whole box for $80 and sold one of the knives for $10 before I left :lol: :lol: :lol: it was one of the highlights of my life so far

That’s awesome! I have heard of stories like this before but I have very little luck for this to happen to me. I don’t believe I have ever won anything at a gun raffle either. And I have entered a lot of them. Probably enough to buy a few guns. :lol: Meanwhile I have buddies that win stuff it seems like every year. Or have some crazy story like the one you experienced.
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:49 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:
Lockdown wrote:
PAbowhunter10 wrote:

That’s awesome! I have heard of stories like this before but I have very little luck for this to happen to me. I don’t believe I have ever won anything at a gun raffle either. And I have entered a lot of them. Probably enough to buy a few guns. :lol: Meanwhile I have buddies that win stuff it seems like every year. Or have some crazy story like the one you experienced.

Dang... he sold the spotter a couple weeks ago for $200 :doh:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”