Is this hunt blown?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Is this hunt blown?

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:20 am

Imagine you are set up between bedding and feeding area closer to bedding. Its an evening hunt. You have reason to believe a buck is in that bedding and is traveling past your set up. There are likely other deer bedding there in addition to the buck. Pretty standard set up.

So an hour before closing time a group of does comes out, you let them pass and they get somewhere past you and eventually see you or catch your scent. They end up snorting and stomping, and make a big deal out of it, eventually they run off. Totally busted!! You still have an hour left of shooting light.

Question is do you stick it out till the end and expect there is a chance the buck will still come by before closing time or do you pack it in and leave? Also have you ever had a buck come by after getting totally busted by other deer in this type of scenario?

Trout
500 Club

Re: Is this hunt blown?

Unread postby Trout » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:36 am

Stick it out, he might be spooked, but you definitely arent gonna get a shot at him if you leave early.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:04 am

I’ve seen does blow at their own shadow on occasion and have seen other deer completely ignore them even as they are blowing. Sometimes I think it’s a nervous Nelly or the boy who cried wolf and other deer pay little attention to that particular deer as they carry on all the time.

I’ve killed plenty of deer to include bucks after I thought a hunt was blown due to a doe carrying on. I’ve killed the old doe doing the blowing plenty of times as well! If it’s truly the old matriarch doing the carrying on often she won’t give up until she ferrets you out - sometimes I just can’t stand it and take her out...

Killed my oldest buck ever back in 2016 that was following a doe that was onto me due to cutting my track. She was literally sniffing my bottom stick when I shot the buck following her at about 8 yards. He was so lovesick he didn’t pay her nervousness a bit of attention. I sent the bucks teeth in for aging and he came back 7.5. Pretty dang old for public! November 11.

In short - stick it out!

Bio1
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:09 am

From learning from my mistakes and being on this fourm, i would stick it out till legal shooting hours are over. You never know what could happen.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”