2 bucks 20 years apart. Hunting vs Understanding

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: 2 bucks 20 years apart. Hunting vs Understanding

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:51 am

So, do you look for a track trap near likely bedding habitat so there is chance you see him in daylight?

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:34 am

Huntress13 wrote:So, do you look for a track trap near likely bedding habitat so there is chance you see him in daylight?

Yes. I am only looking at them on exit from bedding. I say track trap as that it what Lockdown threw out a couple years ago when I was discussing using this to my advantage. But it doesn't mean I clear a big area to catch tracks. I look for some area that catches a good track. Lots of times it's the fire trail itself. However sometimes it's just softer ground, the road or snow,

One area has a nice sandy spot that really catches a track. It has a nice bedding area right next to it. It's really as simple as if I see a good track in that sand heading into it odds are he is bedding in that spot. This is that spot.

https://youtu.be/le1BGSq333s
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:43 am

Cool. I'm going to file that away.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 pm

Thanks for doing the map sketch...really helps to visualize.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Tue Jul 14, 2020 12:40 pm

oldrank wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:So, do you look for a track trap near likely bedding habitat so there is chance you see him in daylight?

Yes. I am only looking at them on exit from bedding. I say track trap as that it what Lockdown threw out a couple years ago when I was discussing using this to my advantage. But it doesn't mean I clear a big area to catch tracks. I look for some area that catches a good track. Lots of times it's the fire trail itself. However sometimes it's just softer ground, the road or snow,

One area has a nice sandy spot that really catches a track. It has a nice bedding area right next to it. It's really as simple as if I see a good track in that sand heading into it odds are he is bedding in that spot. This is that spot.

Lol :lol: :lol: i do the same thing.

Thanks for sharing your hunt. I would be interested in the wind direction and map orientation if you don’t mind adding that info to the conversation and/or map.

Thanks,

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:17 pm

Horizontal Hunter wrote:
oldrank wrote:

Lol :lol: :lol: i do the same thing.

Thanks for sharing your hunt. I would be interested in the wind direction and map orientation if you don’t mind adding that info to the conversation and/or map.

Thanks,

Bob

The top of the map would be west. I would blow my scent back to the flats and human trail. Basically lining up my entrance trail and wind.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:41 am

oldrank wrote:The top of the map would be west. I would blow my scent back to the flats and human trail. Basically lining up my entrance trail and wind.

Thanks for the quick reply. That’s not what I had in my mind.

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”