Average beasts success ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.

Your biggest buck scores:

170 or bigger
10%
160 to 170
8%
150 to 160
14%
140 to 150
19%
130 to 140
16%
120 to 130
14%
110 to 120
10%
100 to 110
6%
below 100
5%

Total votes: 177
austin1990

Re: Average beasts success ?

Unread postby austin1990 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:49 am

VaBowKill5 wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:
Pudster wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I don’t measure nor have ever measured a single buck I’ve killed. Always kinda felt it would take a lil away from my over all excitement and experience. I mean let’s face it scoring bucks is a big Peter contest. A descent 10 pt 2.5 year old will often dust a old grey public 8 pt. I’ve always loved this site cause it wasn’t a D measuring contest. Effort and real world satisfaction is what has always mattered. But to answer the question I would guess my avg real world buck 20 years in is in the 120s to low 140s to trip my trigger. Think a goal of 170 is possible in a lifetime of hard hunting. But again scores are for sporting events not hunting. Amen an pass the mustard :lol:

I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about measuring deer, imho it is not at all a big peter contest. I think it is all about honoring the animal, just like a quality taxidermy job does. By having something officially measured it does more than just put a number to that animal, that data is also used by wildlife managers to assess herd health and season structure effectiveness. The clubs that are keeping the records B&C and P&Y do a lot for conservation that most people are not aware of, and the measuring program is only a small part of there club, but an essential part as it brings in new people to the club. I know its not for everyone, and thats cool with me, I just see a lot of positives from it.

Guess it depends on how u wanna look at it. For me the day they decided to put a number and score on whitetails was not a good day for hunting. What came in the years to follow was strictly a money driven sport. I’ve personally never understood p&y or b&c record books. If you got this record book specimen why do you have to pay to enter it? Seems it should be the other way around. Is there anything else to which you break a record and have to pay to enter it in “the books”? Also, why are the minimums so low? While yes a p&y minimum buck is certainly a nice deer it isn’t what I consider record book material. I wonder if the minimums would be higher if it wasn’t a pay to get your name in a book that is essentially outdated the day it’s printed.

125” is low for the midwest but there are places across the country that good hunters can hunt their whole life and never lay eyes on a P&Y. I agree with Dan when he said it should be broken down by state or region because 125 in PA is a bigger accomplishment than a 160 in southern Iowa. Just my opinion
you saying that reminded me of a hunt this fall with my dad. He grew up running dogs, that's how they hunted, had such a low population it was about the only way to ever see a deer in the pine plantations. So hes never been much for sitting on a stand, so he didnt hunt much until I got old enough to want to go and he more or less just suffered through the stand hunting til I was old enough to go by myself at 14-15. Since then he'll go huntin, once maybe twice a year and usually shoots the first legal buck he sees just for meat. This past fall on opening morning of gun he killed maybe an 75" seven point, probably a 2.5 y/o deer and he talked about how coming up and until I really started hunting that was about the biggest buck you'd see and how it used to be the average. Now a 100" deer is the average, the only difference is now more people in my area don't shoot that first legal buck they see, they wait on a better one. I dont care either way, but I try to shoot older mature deer, not going off of horn size but many do. A 100" deer here would be like a 140" in iowa and some places wouldnt even get a second look.

Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:54 am

Definitely an apples to oranges comparison on a regional basis as far as antler score goes. In my neck of the woods a p&y buck is a once in a lifetime buck for most guys. A lot of people use the dressed weight as a size standard in new england, lol. When I look at my wall of 130 class bucks I'm just as proud of them as if they were all booners if I lived in a different state. I guess the age of a buck is good standard to go by because a truly mature buck is going to be in a different class no matter where you live.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:20 am

I almost said below 100, but hit 100-110. I have no idea what anything I shot scores, but lots of basket 8s from up north, busted tines, small to no brows, might have one in there that has 101" ;)
Visit The Treestand Silencing Store
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:13 am

Grizzlyadam wrote:Definitely an apples to oranges comparison on a regional basis as far as antler score goes. In my neck of the woods a p&y buck is a once in a lifetime buck for most guys. A lot of people use the dressed weight as a size standard in new england, lol. When I look at my wall of 130 class bucks I'm just as proud of them as if they were all booners if I lived in a different state. I guess the age of a buck is good standard to go by because a truly mature buck is going to be in a different class no matter where you live.

Yeah, that is a great attitude.

It’s what they mean to you on your wall, not somebody else’s.
Scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, scout, hunt
thwack16
500 Club

Unread postby thwack16 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:32 am

Broke 150 by a a few tenths of an inch in the Midwest on public two years ago. Have five from MS that gross in the mid to upper 120s.
Pudster
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Pudster » Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:39 am

Boogieman1 wrote:
Pudster wrote:
Boogieman1 wrote:I don’t measure nor have ever measured a single buck I’ve killed. Always kinda felt it would take a lil away from my over all excitement and experience. I mean let’s face it scoring bucks is a big Peter contest. A descent 10 pt 2.5 year old will often dust a old grey public 8 pt. I’ve always loved this site cause it wasn’t a D measuring contest. Effort and real world satisfaction is what has always mattered. But to answer the question I would guess my avg real world buck 20 years in is in the 120s to low 140s to trip my trigger. Think a goal of 170 is possible in a lifetime of hard hunting. But again scores are for sporting events not hunting. Amen an pass the mustard :lol:

I think that is one of the biggest misconceptions about measuring deer, imho it is not at all a big peter contest. I think it is all about honoring the animal, just like a quality taxidermy job does. By having something officially measured it does more than just put a number to that animal, that data is also used by wildlife managers to assess herd health and season structure effectiveness. The clubs that are keeping the records B&C and P&Y do a lot for conservation that most people are not aware of, and the measuring program is only a small part of there club, but an essential part as it brings in new people to the club. I know its not for everyone, and thats cool with me, I just see a lot of positives from it.

Guess it depends on how u wanna look at it. For me the day they decided to put a number and score on whitetails was not a good day for hunting. What came in the years to follow was strictly a money driven sport. I’ve personally never understood p&y or b&c record books. If you got this record book specimen why do you have to pay to enter it? Seems it should be the other way around. Is there anything else to which you break a record and have to pay to enter it in “the books”? Also, why are the minimums so low? While yes a p&y minimum buck is certainly a nice deer it isn’t what I consider record book material. I wonder if the minimums would be higher if it wasn’t a pay to get your name in a book that is essentially outdated the day it’s printed.

I am not sure if it was the day they put a number and score on whitetails or if it was the day that hunting programs gained a lot of popularity, and tried to glorify their "kills" with a big number that always seemed to be way overly inflated. lol, I can defiantly see your point, about it. As far as paying to enter the fees they charge are barely enough to cover the cost of taking care of the paperwork, verifying info, organizing it and putting it out in printed format. Like I stated before, records programs are just a small part of each of these clubs, yet it is what they are most well known for. I held exactly the same views as you for a long time, I honestly thought B&C was a rich mans good old boy club until I was exposed to it and learned a lot more about it. Their primary focus is on conservation,education and preserving hunting and public lands for generations to come. Minimums so low, I guess that low for depending on your location. There are some counties in the US that have never produced a 125 buck, yet there are some others that they can be fairly common. I would think that when they set the minimums they took into consideration making it an attainable goal. I totally understand some people not wanting to enter their animals cause they feel they are pumping their chest, or that it might be considered bragging, but at the end of the day its not really about them, its about the animal and what genetics, age, conservation efforts have produced. I think this is easier to see when looking at small groups of animals like Sheep or mountain goats, whitetails just do so darn good and are so prevalent in the US. Maybe Iowa whitetails would be a good example of how all these things come together to produce amazing animals year after year, measuring/recording of antler growth can help show this, and perhaps influence other states game agencies policy.
HuntingParadise
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/hunting.paradise.56

Unread postby HuntingParadise » Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:36 am

147" that is in my profile picture. Didnt know how big he was because of how fast it happened.
moondoondude
500 Club

Unread postby moondoondude » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:02 am

The first deer I scored was in 2010. Up until then, i never even gandered at it. I found a lot of sheds, and killed some good bucks, and people would say that would probably score X or X. I would kind of be like uh huh, yeah.

Finally so many people asked that I put a tape to one.

I've never got one entered into the book, but I have measured 100s and 100s of antlers. Scoring is goofy because a 60" 3 point side and a 60" 5 point side are nowhere near the same class of antler.

However, knowing scores is a good reference point in conversation for the caliber of a buck you're dealing with. When a buddy says I saw a nice 8, and you say how nice? Big difference between 110 inch 8 and a 140 inch 8 when referencing a "nice 8". I think that's how the whole score thing started for me.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:22 am

I agree scoring is just a reference for my own use and I actually enjoy measuring them and comparing bucks to one another. Antlers are fascinating to me. Never once thought about doing it to compare to other hunters. I could careless how others view me as a hunter and I have no desire to be like somebody else or be jealous about what they kill. I hunt for myself and not to impress others or to get any type of recognition. I entered one buck in P&Y but probably won’t add another there even though I have others that would qualify. Too be honest the only buck I would ever consider to enter in the future is if I’m lucky enough to ever kill a B&C. That’s a self goal of mine right now and wouldn’t feel bad at all about entering one. Nothing wrong with having goals that pertain to a certain size of rack. Everybody has different levels they want to achieve and there is no one size fits all for everybody. Shoot what makes you happy and never regret it for a second no matter how big it is.
Boogieman1
500 Club

Unread postby Boogieman1 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:40 am

Dewey wrote:I agree scoring is just a reference for my own use and I actually enjoy measuring them and comparing bucks to one another. Antlers are fascinating to me. Never once thought about doing it to compare to other hunters. I could careless how others view me as a hunter and I have no desire to be like somebody else or be jealous about what they kill. I hunt for myself and not to impress others or to get any type of recognition. I entered one buck in P&Y but probably won’t add another there even though I have others that would qualify. Too be honest the only buck I would ever reconsider to enter in the future is if I’m lucky enough to ever kill a B&C. That’s a self goal of mine right now and wouldn’t feel bad at all about entering one. Nothing wrong with having goals that pertain to a certain size of rack. Everybody has different levels they want to achieve and there is no one size fits all for everybody. Shoot what makes you have and never regret it for a second no matter how big it is.

I hear ya! I’m just a bit different cause I hate measuring anything. Just one more thing I gotta squeeze into a 24 hr day. But can see others finding enjoyment in it. Heck I name bucks for recognizing purposes and that gets guys really stirred up lol. Get the ole you name pets not deer. For me I just do it so I can look back through notes and figure out what dang deer I’m talking about years later. In a predominantly 8 pt genetic heavy area if I just keep saying saw the 8 pt again in field notes it’s easy to get confused quick. The only dislike about measuring I honestly have is a lot of guys go about the wrong way and figure in a score, or what someone else feels about how this one will score into there feeling of success. How many times have u seen a happy hunter post a kill only for the first response of..... What he score? Followed by guesses and any story or excitement gets lost in the nonsense. Doesn’t happen here on the Beast but dang some places are just cut throat and do way more harm than good imo.
“When standing on the walls of the Alamo the outcome has already been decided. All that’s left is to kill as many as you can.”

-Beth Dutton-
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:57 am

I’ve had a few officially scored, but never sent the paperwork in to get them in the books. I guess more than anything, I wanted to make sure that the taping I’ve done was close to what the official score would be. I think if I ever shot a net booner, I’d put it in the books, but I’m not sure about that anymore.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:08 am

110-120 (estimate) 3.5 yr old 10 point is my biggest. That's a quality buck for PA as far as I'm concerned, but average at best if compared to a couple hundred miles west of me.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:12 am

I’ve only had one of my deer entered in my states record book. That year I took it to my archery clubs wild game dinner. They had a big buck night. They had an official there from the record book. He measured it and took my $15 I think it was.I ended up winning a free mount that took 3 years to get the deer back. Turned out good tho. That was 2008. That was the only time I went to that event. The rest I’ve measured myself and only do the gross score
RookieBeast2019

Unread postby RookieBeast2019 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:20 am

Still trying to figure it out. Going into year 2.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sun Jul 12, 2020 8:33 am

Scores are useful for describing bucks to others. If I tell someone I saw a nice 8 pointer that tells him nothing....if I tell him I saw a 130class 8 point that conveys more information....and if I tell Dewey I saw nothing it means I saw nothing or an absolute monster in his honey hole area. :lol:

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”