Big bucks love ditches...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

stash59

Re: Big bucks love ditches...

Unread postby stash59 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:02 am

Went on YT and saw it posted!!! 8-) :clap:
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mike32
500 Club

Unread postby Mike32 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:54 pm

Good video Dan!!
Hoyt RX7 bow, and exodus broadheads
Beast stand and beast sticks.
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:06 pm

Wow, what a great title and message. I used to hunt pheasants with my pack of chessies back in the day in the thumb of Michigan. I was always distracted looking in those thick ditches in that farm country, and every now and again we would jump a deer out of them. I always wanted to go in there and hunt those but never did. Mostly didn't have permission to deer hunt and shame on me for never asking
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:20 pm

8-)
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:02 pm

enjoyed the video, I smiled several times throughout as it gave me flashbacks to the farm hunting I did as a youth. I hunted public land too at my big woods cabin in northern Michigan.

when I was young and had access to a couple of farms I put arrows in big bucks, little bucks and medium bucks. If it was a buck it was getting an arrow...
far and away the vast majority of the bucks I recovered were dead in the ditch water or next to it. I saved a lot of work by tying a rope around the bucks antlers, walking the ditch bank and dragging the buck through the ditch water to the nearest road. It didn't take me long to figure out why all the bucks I recovered were along ditches, they were bedding there in the only thick cover in the area. They also head for water when wounded, but I found a good number of them in a ditch buck bed or close to one.

Potholes of water on a farm surrounded by thick brush and flood plain thickets along streams / rivers are also where the big bucks go if they survive a few years. An old acquaintance of mine (long since departed to deer heaven) made a trophy buck hunting career out of potholes and floodplain thickets on southern Michigan farm land.

These 3 water habitats in farm country often have no great trees near the buck beds to hunt them from either... all the more enticing to a mature buck.

If you arrow a buck in farm country and lose the blood trail... is there water in that direction? I have literally jogged several hundred yards to a ditch and began walking its banks... and there was my buck.

Bridge
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:24 pm

Good stuff Dan!

I would say roughly half of my big buck sightings have come from out of the way fencelines and drainages exactly as you described. If they aren’t there, they’re in the thick and nasty spots that are hard to get to.

And I see the same regarding beds on the highest of the high and lowest of the low. That is consistent whether you’re in a fence line or bigger habitat.
Horizontal Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Horizontal Hunter » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:54 am

Great video as usual. Loved the ending. Thank you.

I swear that if Scentlok sold a camouflage body condom hunters would buy it. :lol:

Bob
Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter. :o

Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Thu Mar 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Good video. A new farm i get to hunt has ditches that i seen alot of good sign in. Hopefully it pans out this year.
tim
500 Club

Unread postby tim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 8:30 pm

Back in the no safety harness days lol
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:50 pm

tim wrote:Back in the no safety harness days lol

That t-shirt looked plenty safe to me. Lol
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:31 am

Thanks for posting the video Dan. Did you end up shooting something bigger that year? Do you have a ton of old footage that aren't necessarily kills? Thanks again
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:45 am

minnesotahunter wrote:Thanks for posting the video Dan. Did you end up shooting something bigger that year? Do you have a ton of old footage that aren't necessarily kills? Thanks again

Ended up blowing an opportunity on the same farm at a giant, and ended up taking a slightly bigger buck. Yea, I have a lot of old stuff, but lost alot too, some really great stuff. Because it was stored on tapes that eventually deteriorated before getting saved
Josh_S
500 Club

Unread postby Josh_S » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:55 am

Do you see a lot of bedding in one confined area? For instance on a tree line or ditch would a buck essentially just turn his body and be bedded with both scent and vision advantages for several different wind directions? Or do the beds shift around a lot to different physical locations?
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:22 am

Josh_S wrote:Do you see a lot of bedding in one confined area? For instance on a tree line or ditch would a buck essentially just turn his body and be bedded with both scent and vision advantages for several different wind directions? Or do the beds shift around a lot to different physical locations?

There seems to be specific spots that offer greater protection and use in varying winds. Thinking of as few spots I know of, some offer an advantage on just about any wind, noise and access guard one or 2 directions and /or wind and sight guard another.Some the buck has no vision advantage, its all smell and noise, others its vision and scent. Often its a thicker spot on the treeline, or where it gets wider. I know of several ditches where 20 years ago I was jumping bucks out of a certain bed, and still am today...

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”