A childs passion...

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

A childs passion...

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:04 am

Back in the late 70's early 80's hunting for me was a magical time. It was so exciting just to see a deer, any deer. I was fortunate that I had no older mentor holding me back, or making me "stay put". Like a farm dog off the chain I ran thru the woods with low skill and high adventure launching arrows across fields cause I didn't know any better, walking miles crossing big rivers, exploring and dreaming of just killing a deer. Any deer... It was a time when food plots, leases, and scores were foreign terms. I remember pounding a nail into the wooden riser of a compound bow I bought at a rummage sale for $2 cause it needed an arrow rest.... Hand me down broken equipment was the norm, and aluminum arrows that were found hand straightened over my knee were common tools. Often none of my childhood arrows matched... Different times for sure. I remember every detail of the 1st buck I ever killed with an arrow flung across a field high up in the air landing square in the lungs of that buck. The tracking all alone, the magic of finding that buck, a young kid pulling that buck home with every ounce of energy a skrawny toothpick of a kid had in him. I could not wait to show my family what I got.... That little 7 pointer is still my biggest trophy, at least in my eyes... Something changed though. Killing started coming easier, I started learning to get closer before shooting, I started saving for better equipment, I started wanting bigger bucks.... Somewhere down that path, that magic of childhood was lost. Don't take that wrong, I still love the chase and live for the thrill of outsmarting big bucks. But fact is, you can never go back to the magical times of a child discovering deer hunting. Now, I forget about encounters with does and small bucks, but still remember a hunt for a fork horn in 1979 ... Alas, you can never go back... I keep trying to make the magic and excitement like it was back then.. But you can't..... When you take your kids hunting, cut the leash, unhook the chain. Let them just hunt, and kill whatever makes them happy. Don't put them on big managed properties and tell them to only shoot 3 year olds or better, or only cull bucks.... Don't take away that magic that locks the passion in for life....
F3ujFTXm8NyJYu3rSrl0PRZYHKwLecAB028.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moose
500 Club

Re: A childs passion...

Unread postby Moose » Sun Mar 01, 2020 2:18 am

Thats what makes you the big buck serial killer! The hard work, dedication and no quit attitude you have and the willingness to share your knowledge. Makes everyone a better hunter.
john1984

Unread postby john1984 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:22 am

:clap:
gsquared23

Unread postby gsquared23 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:11 am

I’m happy to have made those memories, and they were a great time in my hunting career, but mostly because of the time spent with family. I think current day hunting could be just as enjoyable if we didn’t focus so much on huge antlers as the only measure of success. Happiness is a decision, it doesn’t just fall in our laps. If we choose to celebrate every kill like it’s a big deal with friends and family, and throw the tenderloins on the grill and share our favorite beverage with all, it can be just as fun as when we were 13 and knew nothing. Keeping our spots “super duper secret” can greatly detract from the enjoyment of the hunt. It is very difficult when access is limited, and public ground is getting pounded.
Bowhunting is not for the faint of heart. But fortune favors the bowed.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 10:54 am

gsquared23 wrote:I’m happy to have made those memories, and they were a great time in my hunting career, but mostly because of the time spent with family. I think current day hunting could be just as enjoyable if we didn’t focus so much on huge antlers as the only measure of success. Happiness is a decision, it doesn’t just fall in our laps. If we choose to celebrate every kill like it’s a big deal with friends and family, and throw the tenderloins on the grill and share our favorite beverage with all, it can be just as fun as when we were 13 and knew nothing. Keeping our spots “super duper secret” can greatly detract from the enjoyment of the hunt. It is very difficult when access is limited, and public ground is getting pounded.

I have a blast like you discribe with every kill... But its not at all like the magic of a 1st kill, of the adventure of the unknown... I think it may be different for people who grew up in a different generation, or with a father telling you where and when to hunt... Unless your one of the few who lived it, you wouldn't understand. I have freinds with kids and watch those kids grow up under the thumb of there Dad and never get released from the chain... Yea those kids love hunting, but they certainly dont have that magic of doing it the 1st time by themselves, learning on their own... I love every minute of the outdoors. But its not the same as a kid discovering the outdoors, and the adventure...
cspot
500 Club

Unread postby cspot » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:31 am

Funny story about a child's passion. My youngest daughter was probably about 10 or 11 at the time and had hunted for a few years and had killed some deer and buck. On a Friday night during archery season her and I were hunting and she got a shot on a small buck. I couldn't tell for sure where she hit it and the arrow didn't look great although I knew it passed thru the buck. We decided to wait a few hours to track. Tracked it a short distance and jumped it so we waited until morning. My parents came up in the morning to help as there was rain in the forecast. Luckily the buck just went a short distance and had expired (shot was a little low). So of course there was some excitement about finding it and since her Grandparents were there there was some hugs and congratulations.

The very same night we were back out in a different spot. A few minutes before the end of legal shooting light 2 doe come out right in front of us. She shoots the larger one and that shot was really good and the doe only went about 50 yards or so. My wife and the other 2 kids helped track the short track job. We get to the deer and after the congratulations she starts to fill out her tag. She then asks me if the deer is a button buck. I hadn't looked, but a quick look and it was indeed a button buck. When I told her it was she gave out a holler and big fist pump. I laughed and commented that she seemed more excited about killing the button buck than she did her buck. Her comment was that she had killed regular buck before but had never killed a button buck. :lol:

Proof positive that a child's passion when not tainted is pretty pure.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sun Mar 01, 2020 11:54 am

cspot wrote:Funny story about a child's passion. My youngest daughter was probably about 10 or 11 at the time and had hunted for a few years and had killed some deer and buck. On a Friday night during archery season her and I were hunting and she got a shot on a small buck. I couldn't tell for sure where she hit it and the arrow didn't look great although I knew it passed thru the buck. We decided to wait a few hours to track. Tracked it a short distance and jumped it so we waited until morning. My parents came up in the morning to help as there was rain in the forecast. Luckily the buck just went a short distance and had expired (shot was a little low). So of course there was some excitement about finding it and since her Grandparents were there there was some hugs and congratulations.

The very same night we were back out in a different spot. A few minutes before the end of legal shooting light 2 doe come out right in front of us. She shoots the larger one and that shot was really good and the doe only went about 50 yards or so. My wife and the other 2 kids helped track the short track job. We get to the deer and after the congratulations she starts to fill out her tag. She then asks me if the deer is a button buck. I hadn't looked, but a quick look and it was indeed a button buck. When I told her it was she gave out a holler and big fist pump. I laughed and commented that she seemed more excited about killing the button buck than she did her buck. Her comment was that she had killed regular buck before but had never killed a button buck. :lol:

Proof positive that a child's passion when not tainted is pretty pure.

Thats a cool story.
Dhoff
500 Club

Unread postby Dhoff » Sun Mar 01, 2020 5:20 pm

Time sure flies. The little things are a lot bigger than we realize at the time.
KornfedKiller

Unread postby KornfedKiller » Mon Mar 02, 2020 8:24 am

My son is 7 months old, and our morning routine right now is to feed, play, and watch deer videos before his nap. He has watched all your videos this year with me, and I even have a video of him locked onto Andre D'acquisto talking about a big ol buck on Whitetail Addictions.... he otherwise refuses to watch paw patrol, the wiggles, and all that bright colour/easy noise junk.

I really appreciate the advice, as a new dad tackling things like this are exciting and challenging.
G-Patt
500 Club

Unread postby G-Patt » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:43 am

Very nice words, Dan! All deer of all shapes and sizes are precious, and sometimes we forget this in our pursuit of the trophy bucks. My favorite memories are from my first buck kill, a small 6. The way the frozen dew in the trees began to thaw and drop like rain; the bright, high-pressure day; the scent of late October in the woods and the excitement of pre-rut in the air. Man, it's so hard to replicate such a unique experience. It's even harder to explain to others why such an experience is so powerful and trans-formative.
On my deathbed, I will receive total consciousness. So I have that going for me, which is nice!
Uncle Lou

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:12 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Well said
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:11 pm

The mistakes and accidents were just as much a part of hunting as the successes... probably more of a part.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Jphunter
500 Club

Unread postby Jphunter » Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:40 am

Good stuff! Brings back memories.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”