The Dead Period

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

jkelley1487

The Dead Period

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:29 pm

It happens every year across almost all hunting platforms but we have officially hit the dead period.

Forums and fbook hunting groups everywhere take a nose drive from the end of season until about August it seems like. I get it, it makes sense but just interesting to see hunting groups with thousands of members go from nonstop action to silence. The Beast is a little different in that regard. Almost all of us are diehard deer hunters and live for this stuff but even the action here takes a dip this time of year. It’s just wild how many people can just flip a switch and be over it for 8-9 months without a second thought. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it at all, everyone has a different level of interest and we are all hunters.

Another place you’ll notice this is on your local public lands. We go from trucks pulled off everywhere from Sept to Dec, to a ghost town once the season ends. I have yet to ever cross paths with anyone post season scouting on the public lands where I live. Heck, there isn’t even a vehicle parked in the lots. If you bring up post season scouting with most of your hunting friends, they look at you like you’re crazy but just 2-3 months ago they were all about it ha. Deer hunting won’t even cross a lot of deer hunters minds until the leaves start turning colors again next fall.

I guess there’s no real point to this post other than I’m glad we have this resource to help with our addiction and get us through until the fall.

Dewey

Re: The Dead Period

Unread postby Dewey » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:52 pm

I agree. 8-)

This is my favorite time of the year. Scouting and planning for next season is an exciting time.

I’m actually glad so many lose interest this time of the year. It’s great when you can get out and have thousands of acres all to yourself to explore and never see a soul. I love how peaceful it is compared to the busy times during the rut. Most guys turn the switch on for a 2-3 week period and then they are done. Glad we have regulars here who live it year round.
MrT
500 Club

Unread postby MrT » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Bro, I'm going to hunt hogs in South Carolina between now and end of March. Turkey season will come in a few weeks after that. The killing never stops. I pity the fool.
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:43 pm

A break is good for the soul. I was just saying this in my beast hunting journal. I never stop thinking about deer hunting but just left hunting as alone as I could in January and my batteries are back on full.

That said, most people just dont love it as much as those who think about it all year. Fishing is the same way. Opening weekend of trout season you cant find a stretch of water to yourself. The other 363 days of the year, its like you're the king of the world with all the vacant water to fish.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:50 pm

Its the difference between real hunters, and those who play hunter on the internet.... If its in your DNA its there in February as much as in November.
buttonbuck
500 Club

Unread postby buttonbuck » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:20 pm

jkelley1487 wrote:It happens every year across almost all hunting platforms but we have officially hit the dead period.

Forums and fbook hunting groups everywhere take a nose drive from the end of season until about August it seems like. I get it, it makes sense but just interesting to see hunting groups with thousands of members go from nonstop action to silence. The Beast is a little different in that regard. Almost all of us are diehard deer hunters and live for this stuff but even the action here takes a dip this time of year. It’s just wild how many people can just flip a switch and be over it for 8-9 months without a second thought. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with it at all, everyone has a different level of interest and we are all hunters.

Another place you’ll notice this is on your local public lands. We go from trucks pulled off everywhere from Sept to Dec, to a ghost town once the season ends. I have yet to ever cross paths with anyone post season scouting on the public lands where I live. Heck, there isn’t even a vehicle parked in the lots. If you bring up post season scouting with most of your hunting friends, they look at you like you’re crazy but just 2-3 months ago they were all about it ha. Deer hunting won’t even cross a lot of deer hunters minds until the leaves start turning colors again next fall.

I guess there’s no real point to this post other than I’m glad we have this resource to help with our addiction and get us through until the fall.

2019 first year bow hunter here. 2020 post season scouting addict. Every weekend and when the sun stays out later, after work a few days. Gonna shed hunt, gonna turkey hunt/scout. Temps go over 85 ill be glassin the areas I scouted. Listen to podcast and videos on my 45min rides to and from work too. After going in blind for a year and now getting into scouting Its gonna be night and day. Your telling me I can already generally know food source and bedding, then make educated hunts. Game changer
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:25 pm

Totally agree with what your saying. Most of those that put very little time in are not the ones killing bucks either. I contribute almost all my success to post season scouting and the extra work put in during this period. In order to be a 10 percenter you have to be doing 90 percent more work.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:03 am

I cannot imagine staying out of the woods from Jan to August? I hunt deer 12 months out of the year. I only get to carry a weapon during 3 1/2 of those months.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:09 am

The season never stops.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Racks&Beards

Unread postby Racks&Beards » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:18 am

Dewey wrote:I agree. 8-)

This is my favorite time of the year. Scouting and planning for next season is an exciting time.

I’m actually glad so many lose interest this time of the year. It’s great when you can get out and have thousands of acres all to yourself to explore and never see a soul. I love how peaceful it is compared to the busy times during the rut. Most guys turn the switch on for a 2-3 week period and then they are done. Glad we have regulars here who live it year round.

This. Though I see fresh(ish) footprints sometimes when I'm out during this "dead period", I VERY rarely even see another vehicle around the public lands I frequent. It does almost feel like it's my own private land sometimes.
Speed is fine...Accuracy is final.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Feb 14, 2020 2:29 am

5-6 years scouting public in winter spring I’ve ran into one other person and he is a member of this forum. I saw a set of boot prints yesterday. I was thinking it must be another beast but his tracks did a small loop on the main land. I was like ok must not be a beast. Lol. Good thing it’s snowing today 3-6 inches will cover my tracks
Jmitch

Unread postby Jmitch » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:55 am

I hear ya. Its almost constantly on my mind one way or the other but sometimes deer hunting has to be put on the back burner for a little while. Only so much time to go around and with 2 young kids and a wife that I enjoy being married to there isn't always a ton of time to start. That being said I am a little disappointed in the lack of post season scouting I have gotten in this year. I went down a squirrel hunting rabbit hole December and January and spent most of my time doing that. Guess that sort of counts as scouting but not really either I suppose. Then pretty soon will be maple syrup time and all my free time will be out in the woods dedicated to that. Then turkeys and by the time thats done its June already. A guy can easily get pulled in too many directions...

All that reminds me I need to get into the woods this weekend!
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 4:06 am

Seems every person I run into in the woods this time of year sticks there hand out and and says "Hi Dan"
jkelley1487

Unread postby jkelley1487 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:07 am

dan wrote:Seems every person I run into in the woods this time of year sticks there hand out and and says "Hi Dan"

How much has the post season scouting and in-season hunting been affected since your popularity took off? I guess what I'm asking is, how much more pressure do you see on your spots compared to 5-10 years ago? Do you expect it to get worse?

I believe you stated that it's picked up but curious if the state of Wisconsin sees a lot more beast followers since it's where it all started. In Indiana, this style of hunting and the "Hunting Public" youtube page have caught the eyes of hunters but I still see very few that will put in the work. The majority here enjoy watching the hunts but it's almost like entertainment more so than putting it into action.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Fri Feb 14, 2020 5:43 am

Pressure has tripled on public around here in just the last year, and people are now hunting smarter. Used to never see people deep but now they are everywhere. All around it's good for hunting, so it's a good thing even if I have to sacrifice a little.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”