DIY Iowa Public Fall 2021

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Re: DIY Iowa Public Fall 2021

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:38 am

Thesouthpaw wrote:I plan to apply for a southern zone this year with four points. I'm definitely curious to see if it lives up to the hype compared to public on neighboring states.

If you go zone 5 hit me up

Thesouthpaw
500 Club

Unread postby Thesouthpaw » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:31 am

TN Whitetail Freak wrote:
Thesouthpaw wrote:I plan to apply for a southern zone this year with four points. I'm definitely curious to see if it lives up to the hype compared to public on neighboring states.

If you go zone 5 hit me up

I was figuring on either 5 or 6, but leaning towards 5 because of it having more public land than most zones.
Anything worth doing, is worth over doing.
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:30 pm

I have 4 points and plan to draw zone 5 too
TN Whitetail Freak
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/307728519407218/

Unread postby TN Whitetail Freak » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:07 pm

wmihunter wrote:I have 4 points and plan to draw zone 5 too

3some
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:01 am

Is iowa worth it? The hunting public guys live there and seems to struggle to get on big deer. Maybe it’s their style or maybe iowa isn’t all it’s cracked up to be?
Swamp Stache

Unread postby Swamp Stache » Mon May 03, 2021 7:59 am

They don't all shoot giants. But they have shot many that I would consider a stud buck. That said they aren't always after the biggest bucks. Last year Ted's Iowa buck that he shot (a smallish 8pt) was sparring with what I would call a "big buck" but shot the smaller one because he felt he had a better shot at that one.. I've never hunted iowa but what I've seen on video and the beast kill threads yes iowa is what it's cracked up to he. It is still hunting though...
It only takes 15 seconds for the hunt of a lifetime.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Mon May 03, 2021 9:34 am

You have alot better odds with a confrontation with big bucks BUT you still have to know how to hunt them. Just because the opportunity is better doesn't mean it's a guarantee. All the hunting practices still apply.
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Mon May 03, 2021 1:01 pm

Moose wrote:You have alot better odds with a confrontation with big bucks BUT you still have to know how to hunt them. Just because the opportunity is better doesn't mean it's a guarantee. All the hunting practices still apply.

Could not agree more with this statement. No state has "booners around every tree", Iowa included. I've lived in Iowa 43 years and IMO there are better states for public land only hunters.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 03, 2021 1:36 pm

Moose wrote:You have alot better odds with a confrontation with big bucks BUT you still have to know how to hunt them. Just because the opportunity is better doesn't mean it's a guarantee. All the hunting practices still apply.

Exactly. I hunted Iowa last season for almost 5 full weeks and ended up eating my tag due to holding out for something really special. I saw a few that met my criteria but it just didn’t work out. No shortage of effort on my part just certain circumstances prevented a shot. That’s hunting and there are no guarantees even in Iowa. I think a lot of guys head there thinking there are Booners hiding behind every tree. Hate to break it to everyone but even in Iowa they’re pretty darn hard to find there on public.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon May 03, 2021 5:05 pm

Dewey wrote:

Exactly. I hunted Iowa last season for almost 5 full weeks and ended up eating my tag due to holding out for something really special. I saw a few that met my criteria but it just didn’t work out. No shortage of effort on my part just certain circumstances prevented a shot. That’s hunting and there are no guarantees even in Iowa. I think a lot of guys head there thinking there are Booners hiding behind every tree. Hate to break it to everyone but even in Iowa they’re pretty darn hard to find there on public.

Just curious what your criteria was? I'd imagine in 5 weeks you had to see a few nice bucks, were your looking for a 150+, 160+, bigger?
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon May 03, 2021 6:28 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
Dewey wrote:

Just curious what your criteria was? I'd imagine in 5 weeks you had to see a few nice bucks, were your looking for a 150+, 160+, bigger?

160”+ I shot a good one there in 2016 so wasn’t afraid to really up my standards this time. Too be honest a solid 150” would have been tough to pass though especially later in rut. That’s a great buck even in Iowa.

This one for sure would have gotten an arrow. Never seen him while on stand.

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue May 04, 2021 12:52 am

I put in for a tag this upcoming season and really hope to draw. It's pretty exciting since I've been waiting for over 4 years for this. :D
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 04, 2021 12:59 am

Tim H wrote:I put in for a tag this upcoming season and really hope to draw. It's pretty exciting since I've been waiting for over 4 years for this. :D

Good luck Tim! What zone?

I don’t know why I haven’t put in for preference the last few years, but I got one this year. Hopefully I’ll draw in 2-3 more years.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 04, 2021 1:01 am

Dewey wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
Dewey wrote:

160”+ I shot a good one there in 2016 so wasn’t afraid to really up my standards this time. Too be honest a solid 150” would have been tough to pass though especially later in rut. That’s a great buck even in Iowa.

This one for sure would have gotten an arrow. Never seen him while on stand.

You had me worried for a second there :D
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

Unread postby Tim H » Tue May 04, 2021 1:22 am

greenhorndave wrote:
Tim H wrote:I put in for a tag this upcoming season and really hope to draw. It's pretty exciting since I've been waiting for over 4 years for this. :D

Good luck Tim! What zone?

I don’t know why I haven’t put in for preference the last few years, but I got one this year. Hopefully I’ll draw in 2-3 more years.

Zone 4

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”