DIY Iowa Public Fall 2021

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

littlebuckhunter

Re: DIY Iowa Public Fall 2021

Unread postby littlebuckhunter » Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:52 am

Dewey-- after eating a tag in Wisconsin and Iowa last year, how itchy is that trigger finger this year? haha . When was your last buck kill and what do your standards look like this year? I'm curious if they will drop or stay the course. Excited to follow along.

Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:02 am

hokiehunter373 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Moose wrote:You have alot better odds with a confrontation with big bucks BUT you still have to know how to hunt them. Just because the opportunity is better doesn't mean it's a guarantee. All the hunting practices still apply.

Exactly. I hunted Iowa last season for almost 5 full weeks and ended up eating my tag due to holding out for something really special. I saw a few that met my criteria but it just didn’t work out. No shortage of effort on my part just certain circumstances prevented a shot. That’s hunting and there are no guarantees even in Iowa. I think a lot of guys head there thinking there are Booners hiding behind every tree. Hate to break it to everyone but even in Iowa they’re pretty darn hard to find there on public.

Just curious what your criteria was? I'd imagine in 5 weeks you had to see a few nice bucks, were your looking for a 150+, 160+, bigger?

160”+ I shot a good one there in 2016 so wasn’t afraid to really up my standards this time. Too be honest a solid 150” would have been tough to pass though especially later in rut. That’s a great buck even in Iowa.

This one for sure would have gotten an arrow. Never seen him while on stand.

Just curious, all things being equal (zone, hunting time, etc.), what would your standards be if/when you draw your next IA tag?

Likely same as above. I’m not afraid to eat a tag. The opportunity is well worth the price of admission for me. Whopper bucks are there just not easy to kill, even in Iowa. Killing a 120-130” would be reasonably doable but I just wasn’t interested in that this past season. Who knows in 4 years my standards may change. That’s the beauty of hunting bucks. It’s a personal decision that can change by the season or even the day depending on what the circumstances are.

That makes sense. Wasn’t sure if what you saw this season would cause you to adjust your standards in the future.

I agree that a 120-130 is very do-able for a guy that knows how to hunt hills. But looking back on my hunts in Iowa this past season, I’m not sure my previous goal of a 150ish buck is that realistic on public, at least not on a consistent basis. I don’t mind eating a tag, but I don’t want to spend a season chasing a caliber of buck that doesn’t exist either. Seems like there are a good amount of 130” 8 pointers. Also seems like a lot of hunters leave disappointed.

I saw 3 bucks over 150” with one likely 170” so I don’t believe my standards were unrealistic for me. Like I said certain circumstances prevented shots but that’s how it goes. I found out Mike Wadell drew a tag last season and didn’t tag an Iowa buck so that just goes to show there are no guarantees even on primo private land.

My only regret was going back in January without taking into consideration how much late muzzy pressure there would be. It was one of the toughest weeks of bowhunting I ever experienced. I basically wasted a week of this coming seasons rut vacation for one last chance and never saw a single buck. In hindsight that wasn’t a real good idea.

How many 130"+ deer did you pass?

None. I think many use the term pass pretty loosely. I only consider it a pass if I have a perfect shot and don’t count iffy shots opportunities as a pass. Passed plenty just under that range though. There is no shortage of 120-130” bucks. I’m actually glad too many didn’t tempt me especially early on.

My season was a series of bigger bucks that held up or traveled just out of bow range. Twice I made adjustments which normally works great for me and later had a shooter walk right past the tree I was just in. :doh: Never had that happen but it bit me good twice in a 3-4 day span. Both were 150”+. :doh: :doh:

Despite all that I thoroughly enjoyed my hunt and looking forward to the day I draw again. Hopefully 2 more years. :pray:
minnesotahunter
Facebook: No Facebook

Unread postby minnesotahunter » Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:11 pm

Dewey wrote:
hokiehunter373 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Primetime41 wrote:
Dewey wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Moose wrote:You have alot better odds with a confrontation with big bucks BUT you still have to know how to hunt them. Just because the opportunity is better doesn't mean it's a guarantee. All the hunting practices still apply.

Exactly. I hunted Iowa last season for almost 5 full weeks and ended up eating my tag due to holding out for something really special. I saw a few that met my criteria but it just didn’t work out. No shortage of effort on my part just certain circumstances prevented a shot. That’s hunting and there are no guarantees even in Iowa. I think a lot of guys head there thinking there are Booners hiding behind every tree. Hate to break it to everyone but even in Iowa they’re pretty darn hard to find there on public.

Just curious what your criteria was? I'd imagine in 5 weeks you had to see a few nice bucks, were your looking for a 150+, 160+, bigger?

160”+ I shot a good one there in 2016 so wasn’t afraid to really up my standards this time. Too be honest a solid 150” would have been tough to pass though especially later in rut. That’s a great buck even in Iowa.

This one for sure would have gotten an arrow. Never seen him while on stand.

Just curious, all things being equal (zone, hunting time, etc.), what would your standards be if/when you draw your next IA tag?

Likely same as above. I’m not afraid to eat a tag. The opportunity is well worth the price of admission for me. Whopper bucks are there just not easy to kill, even in Iowa. Killing a 120-130” would be reasonably doable but I just wasn’t interested in that this past season. Who knows in 4 years my standards may change. That’s the beauty of hunting bucks. It’s a personal decision that can change by the season or even the day depending on what the circumstances are.

That makes sense. Wasn’t sure if what you saw this season would cause you to adjust your standards in the future.

I agree that a 120-130 is very do-able for a guy that knows how to hunt hills. But looking back on my hunts in Iowa this past season, I’m not sure my previous goal of a 150ish buck is that realistic on public, at least not on a consistent basis. I don’t mind eating a tag, but I don’t want to spend a season chasing a caliber of buck that doesn’t exist either. Seems like there are a good amount of 130” 8 pointers. Also seems like a lot of hunters leave disappointed.

I saw 3 bucks over 150” with one likely 170” so I don’t believe my standards were unrealistic for me. Like I said certain circumstances prevented shots but that’s how it goes. I found out Mike Wadell drew a tag last season and didn’t tag an Iowa buck so that just goes to show there are no guarantees even on primo private land.

My only regret was going back in January without taking into consideration how much late muzzy pressure there would be. It was one of the toughest weeks of bowhunting I ever experienced. I basically wasted a week of this coming seasons rut vacation for one last chance and never saw a single buck. In hindsight that wasn’t a real good idea.

How many 130"+ deer did you pass?

None. I think many use the term pass pretty loosely. I only consider it a pass if I have a perfect shot and don’t count iffy shots opportunities as a pass. Passed plenty just under that range though. There is no shortage of 120-130” bucks. I’m actually glad too many didn’t tempt me especially early on.

My season was a series of bigger bucks that held up or traveled just out of bow range. Twice I made adjustments which normally works great for me and later had a shooter walk right past the tree I was just in. :doh: Never had that happen but it bit me good twice in a 3-4 day span. Both were 150”+. :doh: :doh:

Despite all that I thoroughly enjoyed my hunt and looking forward to the day I draw again. Hopefully 2 more years. :pray:

Dewey your honesty is refreshing. I agree on the passing of a shot.
"If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together"
wmihunter

Unread postby wmihunter » Mon May 16, 2022 4:27 am

How did your hunt turn out?

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”