New to mobile hunting, saddle or stand ?

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

parkersdad

Re: New to mobile hunting, saddle or stand ?

Unread postby parkersdad » Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:25 am

Again I have used a lot of different stands over the years and my favorite is the JX3 Hybrid saddle. It has the flexibility of the saddle with better comfort than the Summit Viper. It weighs 10 pounds with ropes however you don't need a platform so that saves time and weight. I one stick climb so my total carry weight is around 13 to 15 pounds.

PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:37 am

Both Saddles and Stands are valuable and can be used in different scenarios. Treat saddles, hang-ons, and climbers as tools. I have never conformed to the idea that one is superior to the others. It’s personal preference that coincides with Ones physical capabilities and limitations. I have used a summit viper and a lone wolf alpha w/ sticks for the past few seasons. This summer a bought a kestrel flex and am adjusting to it with much practice in the backyard. I intend to use all three this coming season.
PAbowhunter10

Unread postby PAbowhunter10 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:12 am

PAbowhunter10 wrote:Both Saddles and Stands are valuable and can be used in different scenarios. Treat saddles, hang-ons, and climbers as tools. I have never conformed to the idea that one is superior to the others. It’s personal preference that coincides with Ones physical capabilities and limitations. I have used a summit viper and a lone wolf alpha w/ sticks for the past few seasons. This summer a bought a kestrel flex and am adjusting to it with much practice in the backyard. I intend to use all three this coming season.

Climber
Pros: easiest and fastest to ascend and descend on tree. Can rotate around the tree if needed on the fly. Can climb as high up in the tree as you want as long as there’s no branches or limbs.
Cons: pretty heavy to haul long distances. Can only climb straight trees with no limbs. Most climbers on the market are loud and clanky. (Some DIY modifications can help improve this.)

Hang on w/ sticks
Pros: most setups on the market are lighter than climbers. Able to set up on almost any tree.
Cons: normally takes some time to setup and take down. (Practice can make you faster at this). Some hang-on can be loud and make unwanted noise when standing. (Some DIY modifications can improve this.) Limited on how high up you can go based on # of sticks.

Saddle w/sticks
Pros: the lightest and most compact of all three types. Great for long hikes to hunting location. Can use the tree as cover between you and the deer. Can be better for those that have back pain especially when sitting for long periods of time.
Cons: needs the most practice to get comfortable with, especially for shooting archery equipment. Weak side shots are very challenging and impossible for some. Limited on how high you can go based on # of sticks. Need to overcome some mental blocks with hanging from a tree with a couple of ropes. (After a few practice sits this starts to go away).

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”