SRT vs DRT climbing method

Discuss deer hunting tactics, Deer behavior. Post your Hunting Stories, Pictures, and Questions/Answers.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

tbunao
500 Club

SRT vs DRT climbing method

Unread postby tbunao » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:48 pm

Wondering if any beasts use either of these methods for saddle hunting. Here in MT we have some massive Cottonwood trees that are impossible to get sticks on. Using a SRT climbing system would eliminate that need. Question is how does is fair when either of the branches at the crotch are trunk size in width.

stash59

Re: SRT vs DRT climbing method

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:16 am

Tim when I was living in MT. Screw in steps were still legal. Anywhere and everywhere. I looked quick at the latest regs and couldn't find anything saying you can't use them. So maybe contact a FW&P representative. To see for sure if they can be used. Seems like an easier and cheaper option to me!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
muddy

Unread postby muddy » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:30 am

I agree with stash on check steps. I also remember seeing a folding/packing ladder stand... granted it was heavy.
http://www.iowawhitetail.com
Leading the way for habitat and management information

"It's a good thing you don't need commas and colons to kill deer" -seaz
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:49 am

Having hunted those huge cottonwoods, I never felt safe climbing screw ins as I could not get a lineman or my arms around them. I think if you preset with paracord those methods would work and would at least allow you to be fully attached in the event you had a mishap. just thinking about when I used to climb those on steps makes me dizzy - be safe out there bud - knowing how hard you charge it could be hours before someone was able to get back to where you are.

Then again - maybe I am getting softer and less a risk taker as i get older :)
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:34 am

I was watching SRT videos on youtube the other day wondering why anyone would want to use that method to climb a tree. So much movement, potential for noise, or a fall if the branch broke, or trouble finding a tree if you couldnt find a branch at the right height. The one video, the guy takes a telescoping pole out with him so he can feed his rope up through branches that are in the way so he doesnt have to throw the rope over- then talks about how nice it is not having to carry sticks. Dude, you are carrying an 8' pole through the woods. :lol:

All that said, monster trees would definitely be a good application for SRT or DRT. Didnt even think of that as a strength for that system. Will definitely keep it in mind if I run into a spot with a giant gnarly tree in the right spot in the future.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:31 am

DaveT1963 wrote:Having hunted those huge cottonwoods, I never felt safe climbing screw ins as I could not get a lineman or my arms around them. I think if you preset with paracord those methods would work and would at least allow you to be fully attached in the event you had a mishap. just thinking about when I used to climb those on steps makes me dizzy - be safe out there bud - knowing how hard you charge it could be hours before someone was able to get back to where you are.

Good points Dave. I gotta admit I'm not as comfortable climbing around like a monkey anymore!!

One thing I should add is. Most commercial steps have too short of a "bolt" area, for the thick bark of those old monarch cottonwoods. So you may need to make some DIY ones with a longer shaft to go through the bark. Into the actual wood of the tree. So any large cottonwood used. Would probably have to be preprepped. And may involve using a cordless drill.

Same thing for anyone trying to get in large oaks in other parts of the country. Of course this could probably only be used on private lands.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:27 am

Trout wrote:I was watching SRT videos on youtube the other day wondering why anyone would want to use that method to climb a tree. So much movement, potential for noise, or a fall if the branch broke, or trouble finding a tree if you couldnt find a branch at the right height. The one video, the guy takes a telescoping pole out with him so he can feed his rope up through branches that are in the way so he doesnt have to throw the rope over- then talks about how nice it is not having to carry sticks. Dude, you are carrying an 8' pole through the woods. :lol:

All that said, monster trees would definitely be a good application for SRT or DRT. Didnt even think of that as a strength for that system. Will definitely keep it in mind if I run into a spot with a giant gnarly tree in the right spot in the future.

:lol: I saw that video as well. It seems like he is just starting to get things figured out. A little rough around the edges.
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:35 am

stash59 wrote:
DaveT1963 wrote:Having hunted those huge cottonwoods, I never felt safe climbing screw ins as I could not get a lineman or my arms around them. I think if you preset with paracord those methods would work and would at least allow you to be fully attached in the event you had a mishap. just thinking about when I used to climb those on steps makes me dizzy - be safe out there bud - knowing how hard you charge it could be hours before someone was able to get back to where you are.

Good points Dave. I gotta admit I'm not as comfortable climbing around like a monkey anymore!!

One thing I should add is. Most commercial steps have too short of a "bolt" area, for the thick bark of those old monarch cottonwoods. So you may need to make some DIY ones with a longer shaft to go through the bark. Into the actual wood of the tree. So any large cottonwood used. Would probably have to be preprepped. And may involve using a cordless drill.

Same thing for anyone trying to get in large oaks in other parts of the country. Of course this could probably only be used on private lands.

Screw in pegs are legal here still. Im a very confident climber. Trees, rock climbing, climbing out of bed after a rough night... :lol:
I however do not like the screw in steps. I've had two mishaps when climbing trees and both involved screw ins. Slick and unevenly placed. Being attached would be huge being that I'm basically alone out here. In most instances here I can find plenty of options and honestly I look for a ground set up first. There have been a few spots where one of those monarch cotton woods would be ideal. More often then not I've looked up those trees and said to myself, "if I could just get to that Y then the diameter would allow a stand". I'm all in on a saddle this year and would of been last year if it wasn't for my move (priorities). Im also hoping to take advantage of a few wallows opening week of elk with it where a ground ambush isn't possible.
jac

Unread postby jac » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:13 pm

The diameter at the crotch shouldn't matter. Depending on the height of your desired crotch you could use a throw ball to set your line. Throw balling can be super frustrating sometimes, but if you have a massive crotch it shouldn't be too bad. If you know of a specific tree you wanted to hunt, you could set cheap line like bailing twine or something and leave it in the tree all season.

I use the drt to climb, most everyone I know loves SRT, but I havent switched over yet.
jporcello
500 Club

Unread postby jporcello » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:05 am

jac wrote:The diameter at the crotch shouldn't matter. Depending on the height of your desired crotch you could use a throw ball to set your line. Throw balling can be super frustrating sometimes, but if you have a massive crotch it shouldn't be too bad. If you know of a specific tree you wanted to hunt, you could set cheap line like bailing twine or something and leave it in the tree all season.

I use the drt to climb, most everyone I know loves SRT, but I havent switched over yet.

throw ball and the srt and drt method do not seem stealthy to me at all. I cant not fathom how you could do all this 75-100yds from a bedded buck
“The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, but expecting different results” Albert Einstein
jac

Unread postby jac » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:30 am

jporcello wrote:
jac wrote:The diameter at the crotch shouldn't matter. Depending on the height of your desired crotch you could use a throw ball to set your line. Throw balling can be super frustrating sometimes, but if you have a massive crotch it shouldn't be too bad. If you know of a specific tree you wanted to hunt, you could set cheap line like bailing twine or something and leave it in the tree all season.

throw ball and the srt and drt method do not seem stealthy to me at all. I cant not fathom how you could do all this 75-100yds from a bedded buck

I somewhat agree, but if it's a big tree, you might not have a lot of options. I should have specified, I don't use either method for saddle hunting.

I am an arborist though, so that's what I use when I'm climbing trees.

• Advertisement

Return to “Deer Hunting”